Match Thread Coventry City vs. Portsmouth Match Thread - Tuesday 2nd Oct (1 Viewer)

Nick

Administrator
Discuss the Coventry City vs. Portsmouth match, tactics and predictions :)

Philosorapter

Coventry vs Portsmouth

IMG_1456.PNG IMG_1455.PNG

Coventry (1457P)

Win +43 (1500)
Draw +4 (1461)
Loss -36 (1421)

Last edited:

Earlsdon_Skyblue1

Our lack of goals this season, particularity from open play is deeply concerning. This is going to hit us at some point so I think we need to change a few things before it does. On top of this it feels we have too many passengers at times.

Thomas, Shipley, Doyle, Sterling (I know he played better yesterday but still) and to an extent Chaplin all have their positions open for grabs I think.

I would like to see Kelly come in at the very least, perhaps Hiwula up front too. Davies in with Hyam, Willis at RB.

no_loyalty

Burge
Willis
Davies
Hyam
Sterling
Thomas
Doyle
Bayliss
Shipley
JCH
* Chaplin

* Jones if Chaplin is not available

cc84cov

Take a point alll day Pompey are scoring a lot I’m sure chaplin will play it was the cup he wasn’t allowed to play.

clint van damme

Our lack of goals this season, particularity from open play is deeply concerning. This is going to hit us at some point so I think we need to change a few things before it does. On top of this it feels we have too many passengers at times.

Thomas, Shipley, Doyle, Sterling (I know he played better yesterday but still) and to an extent Chaplin all have their positions open for grabs I think.

I would like to see Kelly come in at the very least, perhaps Hiwula up front too. Davies in with Hyam, Willis at RB.

no way we should consider dropping Chaplin.
Striking partnerships don't develop overnight they take time. I saw enough yesterday to suggest that JCH and Chaplin can be a success.
Think Shipley is a cert to drop to the bench was JJ is fitter.

Earlsdon_Skyblue1

no way we should consider dropping Chaplin.
Striking partnerships don't develop overnight they take time. I saw enough yesterday to suggest that JCH and Chaplin can be a success.
Think Shipley is a cert to drop to the bench was JJ is fitter.

Whilst I agree with that, we've got about 5 strikers. He should be given a bit longer but the chances yesterday he should have buried.

I think Thomas needs dropping to be honest. I can't see him scoring in the next 10 years.

clint van damme

Whilst I agree with that, we've got about 5 strikers. He should be given a bit longer but the chances yesterday he should have buried.

I think Thomas needs dropping to be honest. I can't see him scoring in the next 10 years.

Thomas is a strange one, gets through a lot of defensive work and he creates problems but the end product is non existent.

clint van damme

looks like we will have to drop Chaplin, not allowed to play Tuesday I've just read.

Limey

First of 6 game ticket. Going to miss Chaplin's movement and work rate. Hiwula would seem obvious replacement. Have we seen enough of him yet to get any idea of what he's like?

Sky Blue Harry H

First of 6 game ticket. Going to miss Chaplin's movement and work rate. Hiwula would seem obvious replacement. Have we seen enough of him yet to get any idea of what he's like?

Not seen a lot of him - think I would prefer Baka up there. Although JJ is edging closer to a start - (can't see him managing a midweek 90 mins. maybe half a game in him. No need to rush - it's a long season)

Sky_Blue_Dreamer

_____________Burge
Sterling____Willis___Hyam___Camwell
Thomas___Doyle___Bayliss___Shipley
__________Baka___JCH

Subs: LOB, Davies, Thompson, Kelly, Andreu, Jones, Hiwula

I don't like playing players out of position, hence why I'm bringing Camwell in rather than Davies and moving Willis. OK, they did well against Sunderland but it's just not something I think works often and if you don't give them the opportunity at a point like this you're not going to and is just a waste of wages. He was one of the few decent points from the Arsenal game.

I'd have kept Chaplin up front if possible, as it's against his old(?) team and I think he needs the chance to get over those misses quick. Chose Baka over Hiwula because of the U23 match where Hiwula just looked to be going through the motions but Baka was putting the effort in. Either would do as a replacement though.

Doyle also keeps his place on the old team front, and he organises etc better than anyone. Shipley keeps his place as he adds balance. However both are on the cusp of being dropped.

I'd definitely be bringing Jones on for 20-30 minutes.

Last edited:

cc84cov

Has anyone got a confirmed link to say Chaplin can’t play ? A lot of people saying he can’t have read stuff etc I was under the impression it was only the cup

cc84cov

Burge
Willis Davis hyam brown (if fit)
Thomas Bayliss Doyle Shipley
JCH Hiwula

I think Hiwula has good movement has scored goals at this level leave Baka on the bench if we need To change it.

Grendel

He’s not even been on the bench

Earlsdon_Skyblue1

_____________Burge
Sterling____Willis___Hyam___Camwell
Thomas___Doyle___Bayliss___Shipley
__________Baka___JCH

I don't like playing players out of position, hence why I'm bringing Camwell in rather than Davies and moving Willis. OK, they did well against Sunderland but it's just not something I think works often and if you don't give them the opportunity at a point like this you're not going to and is just a waste of wages. He was one of the few decent points from the Arsenal game.

I'd have kept Chaplin up front if possible, as it's against his old(?) team and I think he needs the chance to get over those misses quick. Chose Baka over Hiwula because of the U23 match where Hiwula just looked to be going through the motions but Baka was putting the effort in. Either would do as a replacement though.

Doyle also keeps his place on the old team front, and he organises etc better than anyone. Shipley keeps his place as he adds balance. However both are on the cusp of being dropped.

I'd definitely be bringing Jones on for 20-30 minutes.

I feel like it would be a nailed on defeat with that team I'm afraid.

johnwillomagic

I actually thought apart from him slipping over Willis gave us a bit of something extra at right back well more than Sterling who actually did very well at LB.
Given Chaplin cannot play I would go.

Burge GK
Willis RB
Hyam CB
Davies CB
Sterling LB
Doyle CM
Bayliss CM
Thomas RM
Shipley LM
JCH ST
Hiwula ST

Subs: O'Brien, Thompson, Kelly, Ogogo, Jones, Bakayoko

cc84cov

I actually thought apart from him slipping over Willis gave us a bit of something extra at right back well more than Sterling who actually did very well at LB.
Given Chaplin cannot play I would go.

Burge GK
Willis RB
Hyam CB
Davies CB
Sterling LB
Doyle CM
Bayliss CM
Thomas RM
Shipley LM
JCH ST
Hiwula ST

Subs: O'Brien, Thompson, Kelly, Ogogo, Jones, Bakayoko

Chaplin can play

Can new Sky Blues striker play against Pompey this season?

Sky_Blue_Dreamer

I feel like it would be a nailed on defeat with that team I'm afraid.

TBH two or three games ago I wouldn't have had half that team in myself, but with injuries etc and the need for balance that's what I think is best from what's available. I don't think it's a great team and would probably change it if we were away. Personally I'm not sure as to Kelly's fitness to replace Doyle and Ogogo just seems to be getting worse and not even affecting U23 games.

Defensively I think Sunderland was a bit fortunate and if we bring in Davies and move Willis RB and Sterling LB we're going to get destroyed down the flanks, especially if we don't provide a bit of cover for them.

chiefdave

Someone in the crowd at the Blaze game tonight has taken a puck to the face. Been told it’s ‘Coventry’s goalie’.

On the as opposite side to me so can’t confirm anything other than there was a lot of blood.

Word from that side of the rink is it’s Burge not O’Brien or Addai.

Last edited:

Westendlad

Someone in the crowd at the Blaze game tonight has taken a puck to the face. Been told it’s ‘Coventry’s goalie’.

On the as opposite side to me so can’t confirm anything other than there was a lot of blood.

Word from that side of the rink is it’s Burge not O’Brian or Addai.
New thread talking about this......Lee Burge ffs

Alan Dugdales Moustache

anyone know what the crowd might be and how many Portsmouth are bringing ?

Paxman II

Pompey have been doing really well it must be said. But games come thick and fast and you can't win them all. Coventry are an improving outfit and difficult to beat when we get our game together. As with Sunderland we will be up for this and in Chaplin we have their former disgruntled player wanting to prove a point to Jacket.
I bet Pompey fans are saying "you just know he's going to score against us".
If JCH can emulate what he did the other day and Jones provide extra initiative in support of Bayliss I think we could finally be more of a force up front.
Doyle is being criticised and I don't see why? He puts in a shift that is crucial in so many ways. What he needs is a supporting cast in the form of Kelly but I'm not sure Kelly is yet match fit. We are better as a team playing the ball around and pressing forward. So I would go with attack in mind because we must score in this game if we are to have a chance of coming out on top. Win this and it's game on for our season. Lose and it's another step forward and one step back. Thomas and Jones have shown how good they are at supporting the defenders and getting up and down. Shipley can sit in with Doyle and protect the back three and put a foot in where it matters. Getting the ball to Bayliss, Jones and Thomas to cause trouble will be the outlet. Yes it's brave but worth a start. Have the bench that can change it should we need to.
........................Burge
..............Willis Hyam Davies
.................Doyle Shipley
Thomas.........Bayliss .........Jones
.................JCH Chaplin

labrax

Pompey have been doing really well it must be said. But games come thick and fast and you can't win them all. Coventry are an improving outfit and difficult to beat when we get our game together. As with Sunderland we will be up for this and in Chaplin we have their former disgruntled player wanting to prove a point to Jacket.
I bet Pompey fans are saying "you just know he's going to score against us".
If JCH can emulate what he did the other day and Jones provide extra initiative in support of Bayliss I think we could finally be more of a force up front.
Doyle is being criticised and I don't see why? He puts in a shift that is crucial in so many ways. What he needs is a supporting cast in the form of Kelly but I'm not sure Kelly is yet match fit. We are better as a team playing the ball around and pressing forward. So I would go with attack in mind because we must score in this game if we are to have a chance of coming out on top. Win this and it's game on for our season. Lose and it's another step forward and one step back. Thomas and Jones have shown how good they are at supporting the defenders and getting up and down. Shipley can sit in with Doyle and protect the back three and put a foot in where it matters. Getting the ball to Bayliss, Jones and Thomas to cause trouble will be the outlet. Yes it's brave but worth a start. Have the bench that can change it should we need to.
........................Burge
..............Willis Hyam Davies
.................Doyle Shipley
Thomas.........Bayliss .........Jones
.................JCH Chaplin
We certainly won't be taking you lightly Paxman. There's no gimmes in this league and Coventry have been more than holding their own. The result against Sunderland was excellent being as you should have won it also. Not sure Conor will be available though, think Jacket has said no which is just as well for us, odds on he'll score. Bit of a shame because generally Conor is highly thought of by most Pompey fans. Should be a good tough game though which could go either way.

Pete in Portugal

I think this is the team that Robins will select:

-------------LOB---------------
Willis Hyam Davies Sterling
Bayliss Kelly Doyle Shipley
-----------Andreu-------------
------------JCH-------------

Mild-Mannered Janitor

Kindest Bloke on CCFC / Maker of CCFC Dreams
JCH and Chaplin have to be played together, started to see accurate runs from the flick on at the weekend and that partnership needs to be given time.
TA doesn’t fit a formation for a consistent win rate required, alternative solution to change games.

Users who are viewing this thread