Match Thread Coventry City vs. Lincoln City Match Thread - Saturday 21st Dec (3 Viewers)

Skyblueweeman

They have only played 6 games ?, bloody hell, seems so much more with the comments on here. How many do they have to play ? How many go down ?
Late start due to the RWC. And only one goes down unfortunately. Still a decent chance it could be them though.

Fingers crossed.

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk

LilleSkyBlue

That was pretty good, overall. Some of our recent frustrating features remained in evidence, notably the inability to actually score, but also our obstination at playing it around the defence when under pressure - then doing it again two minutes later. Godden seemed isolated but played with considerable energy and strength.

No more criticisms from this quarter though. Well, go on then: Sam McCallum doesn't cross very well.

Onwards: one is enthused at our triangles and angled passes infield, Walsh's darting about and McCallum's thrusts down the left. Westbrooke's measure and Kelly's rhythm. I particularly liked the way we visibly set about retaking control after about 65 minutes, slowly asserting our game on Lincoln once more. This required patience from players and viewer alike though and didn't offer much enterprising football for a period of time. I was surprised Lincoln didn't dominate the final ten minutes and submit us to the siege that has become standard - and that we won't learn to prevent or deal with. Not sure Lincoln are very good actually this season, despite it being a lovely town where I shall be spending Christmas. A Christmas I shall enjoy for my part reliving that daisy-cutting half-scuffed shot that their keeper snarled up.

No, hang it, that was all right. We played them off the park and won.

Joyeux Noël

edit: just watched goal back and it was a much cleaner hit than I'd remembered. Still think their keeper should have done better. Plus, loads of decent shots from outside the box which set the tone for a more decisive style of football.

Last edited:

Irish Sky Blue

It's not haters is it?
I didn't turn up at St.Andrews today because I'm a hater FFS.
But the issues that have been discussed weren't put to bed today.
We need to start finishing teams off, we can't get by on single goal margins, it didn't work last season and it won't work this one.
We can't stick rigidly to plan A when the game is screaming for plan B.
We were desperate for fresh legs in midfield from 65-70 minutes but he left Shipley and Westbrooke in there when the game was passing them both by.
It takes a lot for me to start criticising a manager and I want Robins here for the long haul but I can't say it enough, the issues we have at the moment are the exact same ones we had this time last year.
I thought Westwood kept going well yesterday right to the end. I did thing Shipley was off the pace for the last ten but he was replaced. By the 65th minute we had regained control of the game and were looking fairly comfortable. We were looking solid at the back, keeping the ball well and making chances. I think he may have been making changes for changes sake. The point of watching your team is surely to be entertained while watching them win. I felt we did both yesterday.

Last edited:

Speedies_Chips

I thought Westwood kept going well yesterday right to the end. I did thing Shipley was off the pace for the last ten but he was replaced. By the 65th minute we had regained control of the game and were looking fairly comfortable. We were looking solid at the back, keeping the ball well and making chances. I think he may have been making changes for changes sake. The point of watching your team is surely to be entertained while watching them win. I felt we did both yesterday.

Westwood left us years ago.

Woolly68

Fair play to you and others making long haul journeys yesterday. Can't of been the easiest of days to travel.

Helped a blind Lincoln fan to Bordesley green rail station. Travels away every week. That is dedication. Gave me a very small insight into the difficulties blind people face.
I left at 9 and got to my hotel in just over 3 hours. Roads were fine all the way. Same on the way back this morning apart from Bristol, long queues for the last minute shoppers getting off the motorway. Planning my next 1 or 2 trips before the end of the season. Happy in Devon.

pipkin73

Another win. 3 out of 3 for my visits this season. Not quite 3-1 but a good solid display. As others have mentioned, we were taking a lot of pop shots outside the box yesterday, which was great to see. Great passing game. Healthy crowd. Now a Boxing Day rest while other teams get tired and injured. Is the Sunday game on iFollow?
You need to go more and no excuses :)

pipkin73

I think teams will now attack more, us 2nd half or when we are 1-0 up as we never seem to score a second so they have nothing to lose. Not scoring that 2nd goal is causing us so many problems.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread