Match Thread Coventry City vs Grimsby Town Match Thread - Saturday 24th Mar (1 Viewer)

Adge

Stop it, look he is the worst goalkeeper in the league just accept it.;)
Probably not the worst, certainly not the best. Will need to be out of the door if it’s L1 next season.

Adge

Never let the facts get in the way of a good moan.

If we had a better attack last season we would have stayed up. The only reason he will never criticise the attack is because there wasn’t enough young players in it to have a go at
Who’s he?:emoji_thinking:

SlowerThanPlatt

That’s a surprise! They were/are still crap though. :emoji_thumbsup:

It’s not a surprise if you decide to go by facts inside of opinion.

The defence was ranked as 17th place last season. The attack was ranked as 23rd (where we ultimately finished)

Which one would you say was the main factor? Our defence was bottom half. The attack was relegation zone. The facts are there for you

fernandopartridge

I felt he was nervous and hesitant with kicking no better than that of Burge in the first two games. Two howlers that cost points in the next two games. I saw him at Walsall in the Checkatrade where he might have done better with their late equaliser. Against Stoke I felt he was all over the place at times and got away with a few mistakes. Burge has also cost us points and on occasion has been less than impressive. I still think he is the better goalkeeper of the two.

Agreed

Adge

An accumulation of factors. Defence/midfield/strikeforce all of who were not good enough. Throw into the mix inept managers and Cockroach owners and there you have it a recipe for disaster.

letsallsingtogether

Probably not the worst, certainly not the best. Will need to be out of the door if it’s L1 next season.
So can you see them spending all their allowance on a goalkeeper, or would you keep some back to strengthen other positions?
For me goalkeeper is the least of our problems if we get promoted.
We got religated from not scoring enough if we don' get promoted this season it will be due to the same reason not scoring in games we should have won.

letsallsingtogether

An accumulation of factors. Defence/midfield/strikeforce all of who were not good enough. Throw into the mix inept managers and Cockroach owners and there you have it a recipe for disaster.
Make up your mind.
You said it was down to our shit defence?

Adge

So can you see them spending all their allowance on a goalkeeper, or would you keep some back to strengthen other positions?
For me goalkeeper is the least of our problems if we get promoted.
We got religated from not scoring enough if we don' get promoted this season it will be due to the same reason not scoring in games we should have won.
We will need a major overhaul if we manage to go up in many positions. This team would struggle to stay in L1 at best.

covcity4life

We will need a major overhaul if we manage to go up in many positions. This team would struggle to stay in L1 at best.
Not so sure

Think all 4cb could be retained possibly
Grimmer
Jones
Andreu
Jch
Mcnulty
Bayliss
Kelly

Thats 11

SlowerThanPlatt

It was-not just that alone though. Did you not watch some of the tripe last season?

Our defence was ranked as 17th. It’s not why we went down or even a main factor. Why do you keep repeating the same opinion in hope that if you repeat it enough it’ll change the facts?

Adge

Not so sure

Think all 4cb could be retained possibly
Grimmer
Jones
Andreu
Jch
Mcnulty
Bayliss
Kelly

Thats 11
Again, did you not see Willis et al last season? Was out of his depth, t L2 this may have been a learning curve and might stand him in good stead if we did go up-or alternatively may prove that L2 is his and many others level.

Liquid Gold

New GK
New LB
Willis
Davies/Rod
Grimmer
Shipley/ another
Bayliss/ Andreu
Kelly/ another
Jones
JCH
McNulty

Would be my starting point for a league 1 squad.

SlowerThanPlatt

Again, did you not see Willis et al last season? Was out of his depth, t L2 this may have been a learning curve and might stand him in good stead if we did go up-or alternatively may prove that L2 is his and many others level.

The defence was ranked as 17th place. I have no idea how many times I have to repeat this before you understand it’s a fact not an opinion

Irish Sky Blue

We have played a number of League One sides this season. We have only been out played by Blackburn when we fielded a weakened team. I think a few additions could see us okay.

Adge

Our defence was ranked as 17th. It’s not why we went down or even a main factor. Why do you keep repeating the same opinion in hope that if you repeat it enough it’ll change the facts?
Quote all the stats you like, if you think our defence was not culpable last season and stood up to the test I disagree. I don’t see why though as you watched the same Coventry City team as me no doubt?

Brighton Sky Blue

But can you really think I O'Brian is a better keeper?
At the end of the day stats don't lie, Burge has let in the least goals in this division.
Oh and did you not see England' No1 do the same yesterday.

In an ideal world I wouldn't have either, but an experienced No. 1 who won't make weekly howlers. Really don't want to detract from a 4-0 win but his moments of madness will and have been exploited by better teams. After his performance at Crewe last week O'Brien deserved another shot imo, just as Hyam deserves his continued run in the side as and when Davies returns to full fitness.

Brighton Sky Blue

I’ve not been impressed by O’Brien at all this season until the Crewe game. Made mistakes in every other performance. I think Haynes, Burge and a few others will never get any credit when they do play well as opinion on them is set and cannot be changed. Haynes wasn’t great today but did but in a goalsaving block/ tackle in the first half. Burge wasn’t great today but kept a clean sheet, appeared to possibly get something on the effort that Grimmer cleared off the line.Neither player is great but both have been played in the first team, offered new contracts by a variety of managers including the present one who seems to know what he is doing.Both are also part of the best defence in the division.

Mad sprints off his line have haunted Burge throughout the season alongside dreadful distribution (highlighted again today). His shot stopping is superb, which sometimes is enough to cancel out the blunders, sometimes it isn't. You can't teach a player not to roll the ball out to a forward or not to run into your own centre back from your own fluffed clearance. In an ideal world we'd have a more experienced keeper and Burge would be making these mistakes elsewhere to come back in a bit wiser. As for Haynes-I don't know if full back is his best position or not.

SlowerThanPlatt

Quote all the stats you like, if you think our defence was not culpable last season and stood up to the test I disagree. I don’t see why though as you watched the same Coventry City team as me no doubt?

I just have no words anymore really. Instead of just being any normal person and saying okay I was wrong you still try and change facts.

Someone asked if you’re a parody the other day and it’s not hard to see why.

No the defence weren’t culpable for our relegation. If you look at them as a unit (which you are doing) they were ranked 17th out of 24 clubs, how is that deserving of blame for relegation?

letsallsingtogether

I just have no words anymore really. Instead of just being any normal person and saying okay I was wrong you still try and change facts.

No the defence weren’t culpable for our relegation. If you look at them as a unit (which you are doing) they were ranked 17th out of 24 clubs, how is that deserving of blame for relegation?

The same this season if we fail to get promoted you cannot blame our defence.

pipkin73

Given that we're in League 2 having fallen from the dizzy heights, recent history would suggest that when the chips are down, we fuck it up. I'm delighted that we're well placed for at least a play-off spot, but our form over the season has been erratic and it wouldn't take much of a dip to see us overtaken.

Sent from my LG-H850 using Tapatalk
BBBBOOOOOOO

clint van damme

Agree.

New keeper. Midfield general. Left back. Right winger.

I'd go for 2 left backs if Stokes can't rediscover his old form.
A right back to supplement Grimmer and a striker as well as the keeper and midfielder you mention.

Adge

And on it goes...... Let’s leave it there.

Sky Blue Harry H

A shout out to Miles, a season ticket holder who sits behind us - but temporarily sat elsewhere yesterday to sit with another friend. At half time, he returned to his usual area to talk to the regular group, and announced '4-0- Mc Nulty hat-trick in the second half', then disappeared to his 'new' seat. He'd have been gutted - imagine the odds on that!

Skybluefaz

I don't know if it's been mentioned but I enjoyed the Grimsby fans Stone Island lot ruffling the tarpaulin after they went three nil down. Fantastic display of passive aggressiveness. I bet a few cats got a rockport up the arse last night by virtue of Mark McNulty.

Users who are viewing this thread