Match Thread Coventry City vs Grimsby Town Match Thread - Saturday 24th Mar (1 Viewer)

Londonccfcfan

Sounds like it.

giphy.gif
got dizzy after Vincenti goal.

Otis

I can get giddy without alcohol.

Great result today and nice to get a goal from midfield again.

Terry Gibson's perm

Happy with the result they were poor and are in free fall but I don’t care.

I was amazed when JCH set up McNulty I thought he was certain to go alone, I thought Bayliss had some really good runs today and it’s nice to see a midfielder running with the ball rather than passing it backwards.

Burge had little to do and what he done he done badly the roll out to bayliss was lunacy.

itsabuzzard

Given that we're in League 2 having fallen from the dizzy heights, recent history would suggest that when the chips are down, we fuck it up. I'm delighted that we're well placed for at least a play-off spot, but our form over the season has been erratic and it wouldn't take much of a dip to see us overtaken.

Sent from my LG-H850 using Tapatalk

Adge

and also signing JCH, and having 4 CB's that have the best defensive record in the league, having to sell Ben Stevenson, and also having the best goal difference in my life time and also all this whilst losing his best 2 players for the season due to injury......

yer, stroke of luck !!

Only our fans would be negative on an evening of a 4-0 win at home !
I was just talking about Bayliss. Due to injuries in the team he was thrown in and has done well and on that basis it was a stroke of luck for Robins.

Mucca Mad Boys

Thank you for the reply , I appreciate injuries , limitations etc .

Let’s start with Baylis who was shifted out wide to a surprise to many , given the immediate form afterwards Robins persisted with him there

Play your players where they have the most impact - how many times was Steven Gerrard and Paul Scholez played wide ?

Question 1 why ?

Good old Biamou the loveable rouge Who huffs and puffs , why was a 27 yo non league player signed ?

Question 2 Why Biamou ?

My final thoughts are really annoying , we should be top , todays result proves it . I cannot fathom anything from MR what he wants to do or play. I would say that the role of Doyle is one that is under appreciated by some but one of MR first inclusions on his team sheet. The rest apart from McNulty who could be L or R up front . The clue in my opinion to MR inexperience is tinkering with the goal keepers . He has given zero confidence to either by swapping them , it’s my opinion ,

I am delighted at the result , credit the lads for getting it and to MR for finally getting it together .

It could have been so much better and easier . We are in L4 after all .

On Bayliss, he’s shown glimpses that he’s be a decent wide player, a quick example is his assist for Biamou v MK Dons. So, I imagine MR’a train of thought was to play the best players you have available. He tried Bayliss on the wing for, what? 3-5 games?
Right wing has been a problem for the 15 odd games without Jones. We’ve tried Vincenti, DKE, JMD and Bayliss. Whereas, Kelly was one of our most important players before Bayliss burst onto the scene. It was definitely a worthwhile experiment.

As for Biamou? Well, he was a 2nd choice option, we tried to sign that Donny striker (12 goals in L2 last season) - they wanted to keep him. Last season, he scored 17 goals in about 46-odd appearances, in a Sutton team that did well in the FA Cup, and presumably, he’d be a big part in their season this season too (they’re joint top). On paper, a good signing. I think, he could be a good player next season, hopefully.

MR hasn’t been experimenting with GKs at all. Burge went into the season as first choice, injury meant LOB played and he played well to start with, made consecutive mistakes so he was rightfully dropped. He’s our ‘cup GK’. He played v Crewe because Burge wasn’t fit to play. The very next game, Burge was reinstated. That’s as consistent as you can get.

The statement ‘we should be winning this league’ is premised on a certain ignorance some Cov fans have based on our history. I think we could have done better in this league, but we have been very unlucky with injuries to key players. Robins has made tactical mistakes, in particular against the weaker teams. The evidence is that this trend is reversing.

Bottom line is, we’re 6pts off 3rd with a game in hand, with 8 games left. Automatics are within reach and we’ve hit good form at the right time. I trust Robins to deliver us promotion, be it this season or next. His transfer policy has been a qualified success and I expect with injuries coming back, and learning from this season, we’ll come back stronger.

It’s also worth noting that Doncaster were the first team to get promoted at the first time of asking in 5+ (I think someone said 10 season) season. It’s a v difficult league to get out of.

ccfcway

I was just talking about Bayliss. Due to injuries in the team he was thrown in and has done well and on that basis it was a stroke of luck for Robins.

but losing Jones and Andreu was very very bad luck. MR has had very little luck this season

Adge

but losing Jones and Andreu was very very bad luck. MR has had very little luck this season
Yep, but you could say also that we have had good luck in that McNulty has stayed free of injury?

Irish Sky Blue

Not even sticking up for Burge there just stating fact that a reasonably respected professional football manager is a better judge of player than Brighton sky blue or maybe even you
Every game from Burge we can expect an insane run out of goal, poor distribution or some other cock up. Today alone he rolled the ball to their forward, did a trademark moment of madness and ran into Hyam on his way back to goal.

O'Brien isn't miles better but you can at least count on there not being a howler a week.
I’ve not been impressed by O’Brien at all this season until the Crewe game. Made mistakes in every other performance. I think Haynes, Burge and a few others will never get any credit when they do play well as opinion on them is set and cannot be changed. Haynes wasn’t great today but did but in a goalsaving block/ tackle in the first half. Burge wasn’t great today but kept a clean sheet, appeared to possibly get something on the effort that Grimmer cleared off the line.Neither player is great but both have been played in the first team, offered new contracts by a variety of managers including the present one who seems to know what he is doing.Both are also part of the best defence in the division.

Adge

I’ve not been impressed by O’Brien at all this season until the Crewe game. Made mistakes in every other performance. I think Haynes, Burge and a few others will never get any credit when they do play well as opinion on them is set and cannot be changed. Haynes wasn’t great today but did but in a goalsaving block/ tackle in the first half. Burge wasn’t great today but kept a clean sheet, appeared to possibly get something on the effort that Grimmer cleared off the line.Neither player is great but both have been played in the first team, offered new contracts by a variety of managers including the present one who seems to know what he is doing.Both are also part of the best defence in the division.
And were part of the worst defence in the division last season.

oucho

Just want to say well done boys for the result today, let's keep it going. The prospect of a playoff place is exciting after years of pathetic underachievement regardless of division...

Irish Sky Blue

I know it’s incredible -he’s either wummimg or he’s the bloke on the phone in earlier.
Neither. Just like to be fair and give players credit when they play well. Off the top of my head today Biamou: flicked the ball on with his head ( a directed header which you say he can’t do) that put Reid away. He played McNulty in for his disallowed fourth goal and he used Mc Nulty as a decoy to round the defender and shoot from an acute angle which the goalkeeper saved with his legs. His first touch today, right in front of us, was a subtle flick bisecting two defenders and again putting us on the attack. I think some are just so blind they can’t/ won’t see anything that doesn’t fit their narrow minded agenda.

letsallsingtogether

No they weren’t. We conceded 68. Bristol Rovers who finished 10th conceeded 70. Sheffield United who finished top only conceeded 21 less. Goalscoring was the main problem last season - our top goal scorer finished on 5.
Stop it, look he is the worst goalkeeper in the league just accept it.;)

Irish Sky Blue

here is LOB's 6 league games

3-0 v Notts County
2-0 v Grimsby
0-1 v Newport
0-2 v Yeovil
0-2 v Accrington
2-1 v Crewe

P6, W3, L3
I felt he was nervous and hesitant with kicking no better than that of Burge in the first two games. Two howlers that cost points in the next two games. I saw him at Walsall in the Checkatrade where he might have done better with their late equaliser. Against Stoke I felt he was all over the place at times and got away with a few mistakes. Burge has also cost us points and on occasion has been less than impressive. I still think he is the better goalkeeper of the two.

Liquid Gold

If we go up and they don't I'd like to se us go after Vigouroux from Swindon, no idea how RCC has replaced him, quality at league 1 level.

Irish Sky Blue

Can you be a good footballer but not a good goal scorer as a striker? The role of the forward is to score goals and create for others/their strike partner. Biamou fails at the first objective and the second is open to debate with 3 assists this season. Clarke-Harris has 2 in his last 2 games
I would agree with most of this and would certainly start with JCH. Biamou, in my opinion, doesn’t deserve the abuse he gets from a blinkered few on here.

letsallsingtogether

Neither. Just like to be fair and give players credit when they play well. Off the top of my head today Biamou: flicked the ball on with his head ( a directed header which you say he can’t do) that put Reid away. He played McNulty in for his disallowed fourth goal and he used Mc Nulty as a decoy to round the defender and shoot from an acute angle which the goalkeeper saved with his legs. His first touch today, right in front of us, was a subtle flick bisecting two defenders and again putting us on the attack. I think some are just so blind they can’t/ won’t see anything that doesn’t fit their narrow minded agenda.

No narrow minded people on here never.
They always give credit to players they hate when they have a good game.
Then again they look for the only mistake they make in the whole game to try and argue the point.
Funny how every player makes at least one mistake bad pass wayward shot beaten by an opposition player but they don' count.

Fuck me you would have thought we had just been beaten 4-0 today the way some are having a go.

I give all our players 9 points
Keeping one back for next week.

Adge

No they weren’t. We conceded 68. Bristol Rovers who finished 10th conceeded 70. Sheffield United who finished top only conceeded 21 less. Goalscoring was the main problem last season - our top goal scorer finished on 5.
That’s a surprise! They were/are still crap though. :emoji_thumbsup:

SlowerThanPlatt

Stop it, look he is the worst goalkeeper in the league just accept it.;)

Never let the facts get in the way of a good moan.

If we had a better attack last season we would have stayed up. The only reason he will never criticise the attack is because there wasn’t enough young players in it to have a go at

Users who are viewing this thread