Match Thread Coventry City vs. Gillingham Match Thread - Saturday 2nd Feb (4 Viewers)

Philosorapter

Coventry City vs Gillingham

IMG_2773.PNG IMG_2779.PNG

Coventry City (1468)
Best (1586) on 27 Oct 2018

Win (1484) +18
Draw (1469) +1
Loss (1453) -15

no_loyalty

4-3-1-2

Burge
Sterling
Willis
Davies
Mason
Doyle
Kelly
Bayliss
Thomas (free role)
Baka
Bright

Great_Expectations

Assuming MR continues with his favoured 4-3-2-1 formation:

Burge

Sterling Willis Hyam Mason
Bayliss Kelly
Thomas Bright KE
Bakayoko/Hiwula

I haven’t completely given up on Chaplin, but he offers very very little during the game, especially when isolated up front. At least one of Hiwula/Bakayoko will offer movement and pace.

That team is full of technically able players, and should be able to push for the play offs. We really are one player sort of a really strong team.

I recognise it’s also very attack minded, however I think at home, at a time we really need wins, we have to go for it. Cliche, but is also the best form of defence.

My only concern is the pitch, as I say that team has bags of ability, but trying to play football on our shambles of a pitch is hard work.

Esoterica

I'd really like to ditch this 4-2-3-1. It leaves Kelly with just 4 players to aim at if we want him to pass forwards and often through the opposition's 2 banks of 4. Although he retains possession excellently the side effect is the build up is very slow as our attacks are forced down the wings with very little to aim at down the middle, apart from Bright, who is naturally a bit of a wanderer (Wolves pun intended). Hiwula is a lot more static when he plays on the left too. Push Bayliss or Westbrooke's starting position higher up the pitch and play a 2nd striker. Would also bring Brown in for Mason who I thought gave away a lot cheap possession and silly fouls on Saturday which a team of our size cannot afford. Willis for Davies if fit too.

Warwickhunt

Fair enough and I probably would include them if they were ours. I think Thomas could do with a rest tbh he's not as lively as he was towards the end of last year.
no i dont think so! the other teams are doing a job on him and he has got to learn to combat it. Thats why he is here and not the finished article yet! If you notice Sterling is in a more advanced position than he was thus restricting the Space Thomas has to run at the defence

Sky_Blue_Dreamer

just like our last two trips to wembley in front of a big crowd :emoji_stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

I think it being at home makes a huge difference - it puts way more pressure on IMO. Yes, on the two Wembley trips we did make up a large percentage of the crowd but I just think being at home makes them feel that expectation more.

Sky_Blue_Dreamer

I reckon they will say 26,900 there but realistically be about 18-20k depending on weather.

Why do we keep doing community days during the coldest/darkest part of the year? Even at cheap prices a lot of people are just going to say "no thanks". Plus the kids just sit there feeling cold and puts them off going again. Do it during a time the weather will more likely be decent and you'd probably get a fair few more decide to take the kids up on a whim.

Sky Blue Harry H

Gillingham =Tom Eaves and Gabriel Zakuani aerial threat. Not much else IIRC. We need a win in this one, big style.

steve82

Interesting reading through this first 50 posts and see the varying formations changing from the current 4231.
I’ve seen listed 442, 433, 451 and 4312.

What’s the reason for justifying another change in system?

One call for a return to a 442 I can see was justified for playing players who are in with a shot of being here beyond the current season I get that, as it’s giving them minutes and developing them.

Switching to a 433, 451, 4321 I don’t get why you’d opt to change systems again given the sides actually creating a good number of chances (obviously just not converting) while not giving much in the way of opportunities at the other end with the current 4231 that I myself I’ve previously stated i am not a fan of but on players we currently have is our only system that works with less flaws.
Given that and with no natural left winger arrived or announced yet I’d still opt to stick with the 4231 over my favoured 442 formation.

For me it just needs the attacking 4 players to be braver, be betting at making a split second decision and importantly clinical when in the 18 yard box and the 3 in behind getting in the box to support the lead man.

Tweak the players selected yes, but the system at this point no. It will set us back again in my eyes and need to stick with it a bit longer to hopefully click and get the results

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

steve82

I'd really like to ditch this 4-2-3-1. It leaves Kelly with just 4 players to aim at if we want him to pass forwards and often through the opposition's 2 banks of 4. Although he retains possession excellently the side effect is the build up is very slow as our attacks are forced down the wings with very little to aim at down the middle, apart from Bright, who is naturally a bit of a wanderer (Wolves pun intended). Hiwula is a lot more static when he plays on the left too. Push Bayliss or Westbrooke's starting position higher up the pitch and play a 2nd striker. Would also bring Brown in for Mason who I thought gave away a lot cheap possession and silly fouls on Saturday which a team of our size cannot afford. Willis for Davies if fit too.

I get your points and frustrations with what your saying with the options to find the 4 attackers but I cannot see a way around changing away from the 4231 at this point of the January window.

I’d hoped Enobakhare could play the left wing but on his showing so far he looks to lack the discipline to do a left midfield role and offer little to cover the chosen left back leaving us very open down the left so is best given the central role he has to drift and look to receive the ball as much as possible and with a run of games could be productive in a fluid attacking 3 in the 4231 over a switch to another formation. MR has clearly earmarked him to do this job.

Agree on Mason, thought he was very naive at times Saturday getting drawn into silly fouls and making contact in poor areas. Hopefully he will learn from it and eliminate it from his game with experience.

Philosorapter

Updated:

IMG_2786.PNG IMG_2787.PNG

Coventry City (1468)

Win (1484) +18
Draw (1469) +1
Loss (1453) -15

Otis

Burge

Sterling Willis Hyam Mason

Thomas Bayliss Kelly New Bloke

Enobakhare Chaplin

3-1 win. Supremely confident.

covcity4life

Updated:

View attachment 11401 View attachment 11402

Coventry City (1468)

Win (1484) +18
Draw (1469) +1
Loss (1453) -15
giphy.gif

Londonccfcfan

Burge
Sterling, Willis, Hyam, Brown
Thomas, Kelly, Bayliss, Westbrooke
JCH, Bright

Bench
Hiwula
New winger on loan?
Doyle
Grimmer
Davies

Start Bright and JCH up front. JCH had a blinding game at their place caused their defenders no end of problems. Play Bright up top with him to really hurt their defenders in the box and not near the half way line.

First game where we score 3 games at home. 3 nil.
Bright, Westbrook and JCH

Sky Blue Harry H

Agree on Mason, thought he was very naive at times Saturday getting drawn into silly fouls and making contact in poor areas. Hopefully he will learn from it and eliminate it from his game with experience.

Glad somebody mentioned this. I couldn't understand why he kept giving away cheap free kicks when their defender had nowhere to go (similarly their winger) I can recall a couple of occasions where he shoved their defender right near the penalty area/goal line, who naturally fell in a heap to relieve the pressure. Basic stuff.

Otis

Burge
JCH, Bright

Bench
Hiwula
New winger on loan?
Doyle
Grimmer
Davies

Start Bright and JCH up front. JCH had a blinding game at their place caused their defenders no end of problems. Play Bright up top with him to really hurt their defenders in the box and not near the half way line.

Westbrooke on the left wing?

steve82

Burge
JCH, Bright

Bench
Hiwula
New winger on loan?
Doyle
Grimmer
Davies

You’ve two places left on your bench, assuming you’d put Chaplin and Addai in? ;-)

steve82

Interesting that on the formation aspect their is 5 calls for a switch to 442, some other Interesting ones are suggestions of 433, 451 and 4312 but just 3 for the existing 4231.

Personally I’d like to see who this mystery winger is before changing systems again

Users who are viewing this thread