Match Thread Coventry City vs. Charlton Athletic Match Thread - Wednesday 26th Dec (1 Viewer)

clint van damme

Get ball in and around 6 yard box striker in 6 yard box
Amazing what happens when you press high and don’t sit back .

Must continue playing like we did today , much better performance overall

Limited a team who are 4th to very minimal chances and made them look bang average

Exactly. Put the opposition under pressure.
I was convinced we were going to score a 2nd where as I'm normally convinced we'll concede late

letsallsingtogether

Just got in from the game and read through the whole thread - this one takes top prize in the "can't praise certain players whatever they do" category. You praise the "nice patient play from Kelly", but just can't bring yourself to acknowledge the part played by Chaplin - the run into space, the turn and the cross.
I do think you've broken your record for slagging off individual players today though - Burge, Mason, Shipley, Hiwula and Chaplin....you must be feeling awful that we won today?
Thing is he slags of most of the team most of the time yet accuses others of being worse than cant back it up.
Thing is we are never going to be world beaters, we have players who will make mistakes but today I think we played well.
Believe Charlton had one shot in the first half where Burge made the save to the left side of his goal.
Second half they tried harder bar the goal never really looked that threatening, played the ball mostly in their own half.
First time in a while I wasn't biting my nails worried about an equalizer, just couldn't see them doing it bar a mistake from us.

clint van damme

Thing is he slags of most of the team most of the time yet accuses others of being worse than cant back it up.
Thing is we are never going to be world beaters, we have players who will make mistakes but today I think we played well.
Believe Charlton had one shot in the first half where Burge made the save to the left side of his goal.
Second half they tried harder bar the goal never really looked that threatening, played the ball mostly in their own half.
First time in a while I wasn't biting my nails worried about an equalizer, just couldn't see them doing it bar a mistake from us.

Based on the game at the Valley I thought they were the best team I'd seen this season, I thought the way they set up showed us a lot of respect which sugessts that maybe we haven't been as poor as we all think.

duffer

First time I've been for a while, but have to say I was impressed today, not just with team, but with the fans too. Maybe it's because we're down to the hard core, but I liked the fact that they didn't get after the players even when we were struggling in patches.

I thought we did enough for the win, just. I think we generally played the more progressive football and the first half high press had them worried. It wasn't faultless by any means, but then that's the level we're at imho.

I think the only downside is that we might struggle to replace the energy that Thomas provides if he's out for a while (or ends his loan). I've not picked up the latest news on this yet though, so it could be that I'm behind the times on this...

Anyway, regardless, I'm looking forward to going again on Saturday. It's been a while since I felt that way! :)

Liquid Gold

Based on the game at the Valley I thought they were the best team I'd seen this season, I thought the way they set up showed us a lot of respect which sugessts that maybe we haven't been as poor as we all think.
Luton or Pompey were the best I’ve seen this season. controlled and professional. Charlton were talented but a bit chaotic.

Last edited:

Sky Blue Harry H

If Luton carry on as at present, I think they may squeeze Sunderland out of the automatics. Can you imagine the meltdown from the Mackems if they don't go up. Consolidation for us this year. PUSB !

Westendlad

Agreed, 1st time in a long time i haven't finished with fingers, took off shoes and socks and started on those nails too..

Irish Sky Blue

If Luton carry on as at present, I think they may squeeze Sunderland out of the automatics. Can you imagine the meltdown from the Mackems if they don't go up. Consolidation for us this year. PUSB !
Play like that I still think we can make the play offs. Might depend on whether Thomas can play for us again.

CCFC_Charlie

Ref was utter shite today. They should have had three reds 1. for the tackle on Hiwula on the edge of the box, 2. for the rugby tackle on Clarke-Harris and 3. for the challenge on Sterling. Their goal was also dubious as well. Overall a very poor showing by the officials.

Spurs 'City Away Kit' Kit

Ref was utter shite today. They should have had three reds 1. for the tackle on Hiwula on the edge of the box, 2. for the rugby tackle on Clarke-Harris and 3. for the challenge on Sterling. Their goal was also dubious as well. Overall a very poor showing by the officials.
Hilarious!! You mention those 3 challenges but not the most obvious red which was the one on Chaplin late in the 2nd half!

Nick

Administrator
Will watch the replay of the Chaplin one. It didn't look like he touched him at the time without slow motion but haven't seen it back.

Last edited:

SBAndy

Absolutely flew into that challenge didn’t he, albeit I was closer to the other corner of the stadium so didn’t fully see it. Was surprised there was no card at all.

stupot07

I actually thought the ref was pretty decent today, one of the better ones we've had this season. Wasn't too pedantic, let the game flow, generally got the decisions right. We've had a lot worse refs this season.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

CCFCSteve

It’s the intent that should lead to the card. I thought that the ref did pretty well

Didn’t really catch him too badly (because he jumped !!!). Agree though could easily have been a red due to it being dangerous/lacking control (like the one on Willis against Luton). Probably would’ve been in the Prem.

Irish Sky Blue

Love your optimism. Mind you Stranger things have happened. Hope your right though...
Until the Luton and Shrewsbury games, l was very optimistic of ba play off place. Those performances were so poor and flat winning the amount of games needed seemed beyond us. The way we played yesterday against a good third division team has reignited my belief! We need another good run now to get back up there. Harder to do without Thomas and Jones.

Adge

Well, didn’t expect anything from this game. Missed it aswell but sounds like we were at the races from the off. Lets hope we can now follow it up with another 3 points in a couple of days.

Magwitch

Until the Luton and Shrewsbury games, l was very optimistic of ba play off place. Those performances were so poor and flat winning the amount of games needed seemed beyond us. The way we played yesterday against a good third division team has reignited my belief! We need another good run now to get back up there. Harder to do without Thomas and Jones.
I thought the same, the Walsall game was a bit of a freak result and Luton similar to last seasons Accrington home game. As for Shrewsbury we never looked like anything but a 0-0 draw, so a win Boxing Day no matter how it was achieved was essential. I thought we just about deserved it. For tomorrow we have to replace Thomas so if everyone else is fit I’d be tempted to push Sterling further forward and bring Grimmer In maintains our pace on the right. He could bring Brown back and keep Mason wide left and Shipley more central but for me that’s too many changes for one absentee. Not seen enough of Alassini to comment if he’s ready to step into Thomas’s shoes or not.

Londonccfcfan

We will win , keep the faith. Perfect game to start a 3 game winning Xmas/new year run.

Very scrappy game, tight as usual at thericoh, we finally manage to score from a one vs one vs keeper.

We were 17th/18th last time we played them.

14000, 1 nil cov.

Damn I confidently called it!

clint van damme

I thought the same, the Walsall game was a bit of a freak result and Luton similar to last seasons Accrington home game. As for Shrewsbury we never looked like anything but a 0-0 draw, so a win Boxing Day no matter how it was achieved was essential. I thought we just about deserved it. For tomorrow we have to replace Thomas so if everyone else is fit I’d be tempted to push Sterling further forward and bring Grimmer In maintains our pace on the right. He could bring Brown back and keep Mason wide left and Shipley more central but for me that’s too many changes for one absentee. Not seen enough of Alassini to comment if he’s ready to step into Thomas’s shoes or not.

We played very well at Walsall apart from that mad 5 minutes and I think it knocked the wind out of our sales a bit.

Users who are viewing this thread