Match Thread Coventry City vs. Charlton Athletic Match Thread - Wednesday 26th Dec (1 Viewer)

Sky Blue Harry H

Everybody put in a shift and I thought we defended fro the front. The state of the pitch meant that trying to pass around the back would always put the defender under pressure if the forwards pressed, and I thought that in the first half, in particular, we did it much better than they did (thought Lyle Taylor was lazy in that first half). I want to see the winning goal again, as we couldn't work out how Thomas got that ball to Bayliss - was it deliberate? Who cares - I'd written off today, so anything was a bonus! Chuffed to bits!

Brighton Sky Blue

Tells the players not to sit back, allows a striker to play up front and we grab a win. Credit to the manager for hopefully seeing the light at last! Hiwulla clearly hinting at that being his preference too.

oucho

Just got in. Pretty pressed with us today, especially the intensity and tenacity with which we closed them down, didn't let them easily stroke it round as they clearly wanted to. Looked to me that Charlton came for a point and thus were inviting pressure on us when they didn't commit men forward, thus easily losing the ball in our half. They also looked ponderous and lumbering, as if they had eaten too much turkey yesterday. Credit to our boys for taking full advantage.

Doubly pleased as I confidently predicted two goals and a win for is, to much nay saying derision in the bar beforehand.

Grendel

Tells the players not to sit back, allows a striker to play up front and we grab a win. Credit to the manager for hopefully seeing the light at last! Hiwulla clearly hinting at that being his preference too.

We only won as once Charlton took control we removed hiwula from the middle as the we had zero chance of occupying possession down their end

Grendel

NortonSkyBlue

A hard working performance! Hyam and Willis stood out for me and Sterling made some excellent runs, as did Mason especially in the first half. Kelly was very influential and good movement up front meant that the Charlton defenders had a difficult afternoon.
I really think that the Bayliss haters should wind their necks in. Yes he made some errors but I thought his body language was first class and he turned the negative in to positive.
What a difference today! The crowd turned up. After the Luton and Shrewsbury games, where I thought our crowd were poor in their backing, today they got behind the team from the start.

Nick

Administrator
A hard working performance! Hyam and Willis stood out for me and Sterling made some excellent runs, as did Mason especially in the first half. Kelly was very influential and good movement up front meant that the Charlton defenders had a difficult afternoon.
I really think that the Bayliss haters should wind their necks in. Yes he made some errors but I thought his body language was first class and he turned the negative in to positive.
What a difference today! The crowd turned up. After the Luton and Shrewsbury games, where I thought our crowd were poor in their backing, today they got behind the team from the start.

His body language was first class? How do you have first class body language?

If it was bakayoko smashing passes out of play and shouting at his team mates for it and shaking his head I doubt it would be first class body language.

Evo1883

Amazing what happens when you press high and don’t sit back .

Must continue playing like we did today , much better performance overall

Limited a team who are 4th to very minimal chances and made them look bang average

Nick

Administrator
Amazing what happens when you press high and don’t sit back .

Must continue playing like we did today , much better performance overall

Limited a team who are 4th to very minimal chances and made them look bang average
They wanted to play from the back so it was instant pressure, I don't know why we don't do it more often :(

Evo1883

They wanted to play from the back so it was instant pressure, I don't know why we don't do it more often :(
Watching Liam kelly sprint 20 yards through the middle to press their players on 3 occasions pleased me , I love that style of football , maybe robins should watch how klopp sets his Liverpool team out and take notes , teams hate being harassed for 90

NortonSkyBlue

His body language was first class? How do you have first class body language?

If it was bakayoko smashing passes out of play and shouting at his team mates for it and shaking his head I doubt it would be first class body language.
Are you for real? He kept plugging away, didn't hide, made mistakes yes but still powered forward.
That is first class body language. He had some of the crowd on his back but was prepared to put himself in the line of fire and got his rewards.

COVKIDSNEVERQUIT

He’s been shite up to then Pete
It doesn't change how bad he was before though
Nick, grendel and the other negative moaning fuckers. Put that in your pipe and smoke it.

Bayliss is still learning and that goal will do him a world of good !

Which would you have, a player who plays shit for most of the game but scores the goal that wins the game ,

Or a player that is outstanding for all the game but doesn't score and we lose the game .

I know which i would prefer !

The lad needs encouraging and not to be afraid to make mistakes !

ps1948

Good header from hiwula after patient play from Kelly
Just got in from the game and read through the whole thread - this one takes top prize in the "can't praise certain players whatever they do" category. You praise the "nice patient play from Kelly", but just can't bring yourself to acknowledge the part played by Chaplin - the run into space, the turn and the cross.
I do think you've broken your record for slagging off individual players today though - Burge, Mason, Shipley, Hiwula and Chaplin....you must be feeling awful that we won today?

Grendel

Just got in from the game and read through the whole thread - this one takes top prize in the "can't praise certain players whatever they do" category. You praise the "nice patient play from Kelly", but just can't bring yourself to acknowledge the part played by Chaplin - the run into space, the turn and the cross.
I do think you've broken your record for slagging off individual players today though - Burge, Mason, Shipley, Hiwula and Chaplin....you must be feeling awful that we won today?

I haven’t hardly mentioned Shipley Burge or mason. I think Chaplin is nowhere near good enough to be the most expensive signing since the championship

Sky Blue Pete

I just think there’s no balance and you can be negative about most of our players as we generally lose over the lasT 40 years or so and be right. Last season one needed to be a little more balanced

Limey

Did Chaplin play up alongside Hiwula today? Good assist. Love to see him grab a couple of scruffy goals.

I do think him playing deep ever since he's arrived has been direction from MR to find space.

Users who are viewing this thread