Match Thread Coventry City vs. Blackpool Match Thread - Saturday 26th Jan (3 Viewers)

Just looking into the future now...

Another frustrating game, painful to watch. Beautiful passing moves, trying to walk it into the net, 7 shots on goal with only 2 on target and for us to come away with a 0-0 draw. :yawn:

Mr Panda

Blackpool away this season was absolutely woeful and I still feel robbed having paid £10 to watch it on iFollow, so I'm hoping for a win and a good performance to go with it to make up for that.

El Chapo x2
Jonson x1

GaryMabbuttsLeftKnee

Blackpool away this season was absolutely woeful and I still feel robbed having paid £10 to watch it on iFollow, so I'm hoping for a win and a good performance to go with it to make up for that.

El Chapo x2
Jonson x1
I feel robbed having taken a half day and not having got home until 1.30am with work the following day. As poor as we were (and we were very poor), they definietly played their part in making us look bad and are very strong as a unit. I imagine Saturday might be quite a dull affair, or at least a tactical battle.

Sky_Blue_Dreamer

Really don't know what to think on this one. I'm guessing that we'll go largely unchanged apart from injuries as we dominated last weeks game and MR will feel they deserve another chance, but we've said that a few times this season.

Home game, so I don't think we'll lose. It's just a matter of if we can get the ball in the net or not.

Plus JCH on on the hour and McCallum at LB for 5 mins regardless of the score.

steve82

Likely be this tomorrow

--------------Burge-------------
Sterling--Hyam--Davies--Mason
-----Westbrooke--Kelly---------
-Thomas--Enobakhare-Hiwula--
-------------Chaplin-----------

Willis (knee) and Bayliss (heel) not trained this week and Sterling no longer ill will likely see him return ahead of Grimmer who I’d actually like to see retain the shirt and given a run but it’s likely Sterling will return.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

covcity4life

Likely be this tomorrow

--------------Burge-------------
Sterling--Hyam--Davies--Mason
-----Westbrooke--Kelly---------
-Thomas--Enobakhare-Hiwula--
-------------Chaplin-----------

Willis (knee) and Bayliss (heel) not trained this week and Sterling no longer ill will likely see him return ahead of Grimmer who I’d actually like to see retain the shirt and given a run but it’s likely Sterling will return.

why would you like to see grimmer retain shirt when sterling has been so good?

steve82

why would you like to see grimmer retain shirt when sterling has been so good?

Yeah he has been excellent value but MR largely works on the philosophy that if you lose the shirt through injury/illness you have to be patient to earn it back unless you do badly or it’s tactically necessary to return to the side.

So it’s based on that I’d like him to have a opportunity with a run.

no_loyalty

Yeah he has been excellent value but MR largely works on the philosophy that if you lose the shirt through injury/illness you have to be patient to earn it back unless you do badly or it’s tactically necessary to return to the side.

Although Grimmer played fairly well last week, I would like to see Sterling come straight back in, he gives you that bit extra going forward and doesn't get done for pace by the LW when defending, he also has a good understanding with Thomas, when Grimmer has played Thomas doesn't seem to be in the game very often.

clint van damme

I often agree with your posts, but leaving Sterling on the bench to accommodate Grimmer, (a player I like), is absolute madness!

steve82

Although Grimmer played fairly well last week, I would like to see Sterling come straight back in, he gives you that bit extra going forward and doesn't get done for pace by the LW when defending, he also has a good understanding with Thomas, when Grimmer has played Thomas doesn't seem to be in the game very often.

I often agree with your posts, but leaving Sterling on the bench to accommodate Grimmer, (a player I like), is absolute madness!

Agree they have built that understanding over the season and see the quality Sterling brings. I also agree on the idea you play your best 11 available which on previous form you play Sterling again.

Dont get me wrong and mistake me for being against the idea of Sterling returning to the side tomorrow, I’m certainly not but just suggesting I’d like to see Grimmer given another opportunity the same way MR has with Hyam, Davies, Mason, Brown, McCallum and Thompson have when given the shirt over the season.

I’ve liked the way he’s been fair and had players involved when called upon and then kept them in the next game as it keeps the players hungry to train hard.

Players who know they can walk back into the side get complacent too so it’s good for Sterling in his development here

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

fernandopartridge

Agree they have built that understanding over the season and see the quality Sterling brings. I also agree on the idea you play your best 11 available which on previous form you play Sterling again.

Dont get me wrong and mistake me for being against the idea of Sterling returning to the side tomorrow, I’m certainly not but just suggesting I’d like to see Grimmer given another opportunity the same way MR has with Hyam, Davies, Mason, Brown, McCallum and Thompson have when given the shirt over the season.

I’ve liked the way he’s been fair and had players involved when called upon and then kept them in the next game as it keeps the players hungry to train hard.

Players who know they can walk back into the side get complacent too so it’s good for Sterling in his development here

Yes but the same logic and rule is surely true for anybody coming into the side as well. I thought Grimmer was OK last week but both he and Davies should have done better for Plymouth's first. Therefore, on balance considering how good Sterling has been for a while, he should come back into the side.

steve82

Yes but the same logic and rule is surely true for anybody coming into the side as well. I thought Grimmer was OK last week but both he and Davies should have done better for Plymouth's first. Therefore, on balance considering how good Sterling has been for a while, he should come back into the side.

Yes, I’m not for listing reasons why he personally shouldn’t and welcome him back to the starting side as Sterling brings plenty to the side.

Yeah was untidy for the goal and tired as the game went on but that’s always the potential that errors like that can happen bringing players in from the cold.

fernandopartridge

Yes, I’m not for listing reasons why he personally shouldn’t and welcome him back to the starting side as Sterling brings plenty to the side.

Yeah was untidy for the goal and tired as the game went on but that’s always the potential that errors like that can happen bringing players in from the cold.

Yes I agree mate, said the same here or on twitter. I like Grimmer but at this moment Sterling is offering a bit more.

Great_Expectations

I also like Grimmer and he offers an outlet offensively, but Sterling is the better player and at this point in time when we really really need to hit some form, we have to play our strongest team.

Bayliss will be a big loss if injured. I’d play Westbrooke if so, as they seem fairly similar and we haven’t seen him in the middle yet. Plus, Doyle would be a defensive move.

steve82

Some interesting points this week notably this first one.

Coventry's Mark Robins has lost each of his last four league managerial games against Blackpool by an aggregate score of 9-0, doing so with three different clubs (Huddersfield Town, Scunthorpe United and Coventry City).

Coventry have won just one of their last seven league contests against Blackpool (D3 L3), a 1-0 victory in March 2016.

Coventry are unbeaten in their last six home league games versus Blackpool (W3 D3), although each of the last three have ended in a draw.

Coventry have lost just one of their last nine home matches in all competitions (W4 D4), a 1-2 defeat to second-placed Luton Town in December.

Blackpool have won just one of their last seven matches in all competitions (D2 L4), although it was their last away game against Portsmouth (1-0).

Otis

Yep. Sterling back in for me. He has been excellent.

Otis

I love Sterling. Everything he does looks so effortless. He's got that knack of looking like he's about to give a foul away but coming away cleanly with the ball. Seems to very rarely give the ball away or concede a foul.
Totally agree.

Grimmer is a lot more unsteady and inconsistent.

letsallsingtogether

We need a win we deserve a win hopefully we score from a corner and one off the goalies arse.
2.0 City.

Grendel

Grimmer is no where near sterling in terms of ability

steve82

Grimmer is no where near sterling in terms of ability

Exactly, sterling has been motm a fair few times.

I think my quote is being mistaken for me preferring Grimmer over Sterling today which is not quite the case.

I was more saying I’d like him to get a run of games just like MR tends to operate his policy of players holding the shirt if players miss out.

Sterling is without a doubt the more talented of the two and has been excellent value for large parts of the season.

stevefloyd

Wasn't sure I would get to this game but Ive bought tickets online this morning but didn't click the ticketfast, anyone know if or how I can print them at home now or is it a case of having to go and pick them up ?

chiefdave

A lot of people predicting we'll be banging the goals in today, seems slightly optimistic given our finishing recently.

stevefloyd

It would be nice just to celebrate a goal for us at least and obviously keep a clean sheet, in almost all the games we create chances to score but sadly those chances are not being taken, I am sure Robins is putting the strikers through some sort of routines but they don't seem to be paying off, as Otis said the other week the pre match 'shots' at goal were woeful and hardly any of them hitting the target, they seem as though they are trying to rip the leather off the ball instead of placement, look at Serg at Man City for a great example of placement, he can also leather it with great effect too because he is quality but our 'strikers' have to start hitting the target or go find another career.
When Sterling first started playing for us, to many on here he was garbage (me included), just shows what we really know about players, maybe a great option for us if we can sign him up from Chelsea IF they were prepared to let him go of course sneaky 1-0 today

Last edited:

stupot07

Would like to Think it will all click and we give someone a hiding, but lack of cutting edge in front of goal, I think it will be 1-1.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Garryb80

I think my quote is being mistaken for me preferring Grimmer over Sterling today which is not quite the case.

I was more saying I’d like him to get a run of games just like MR tends to operate his policy of players holding the shirt if players miss out.

Sterling is without a doubt the more talented of the two and has been excellent value for large parts of the season.

But the only way grimmer gets a run of games is instead of the massively better sterling

Users who are viewing this thread