Match Thread Coventry City vs Barnet Match Thread - Saturday 10th Mar (4 Viewers)

oldskyblue58

CCFC Finance Director
Pleased with the three points but it wasn't a great game and I would think barnet will be disappointed not to take something from it.

Just a few observations really.

Firstly our movement is not great or is playing statues particularly at throw ins a tactic they have been practising - because it doesn't work very well. This is not a new problem though. Players seem to stand wait for a pass too much which makes our build up laboured

I know burge can have his moments but yesterday he didn't have a bad game. People complain about his distribution but I am not sure it is all down to him. On far too many occasions yesterday he had ball in hands and would only have seen the backs of players running away from him. No one seemed to turn and look, there was the odd time someone came short, but usually it meant that he had to hold the ball until players got in to positions up field, only to punt it. We all know his kicking is not a strength.

I can forgive bayliss he isn't a winger or wide midfielder, but I thought our fullbacks were poor. Neither defended well and going forward was better but not much.

Clarke-Harris did what he is there to do in part - he scored but the rest of his effort yesterday was pretty average and didn't really trouble the barnet defence that much. In the first half he was anonymous.

Reid did ok but his final product needs to be better. The central midfield is not very creative but functional so long as we win then it could be justified but what if we have to chase the game? It is not very exciting but if we continue to win I wouldn't expect robins to change it.

Welcome 3 points, keeps us in the mix, and at this stage I will take points over performance every time

Alan Dugdales Moustache

Is it just me or were we clueless taking throw ins ?
Totally. No urgency to even bother . Usually its aimed at someone who is tightly sandwiched between two opposition players and who can't even get off the ground. I'm more hopeful of winning the ball from a throw if the opposition take it. As for corners its too bloody far for anyone to walk all the way over and be bothered. Just give them a goal kick instead for Christ's sake.

Nick

Administrator
Westley sacked and Martin Allen back in.

I dont think they looked too bad under Westley the other week.

Otis

Bit unlucky and on Saturday they were unlucky not to score first before Wycombe went on to win the match.

Last edited:

steve82

Barnet do seem to have a crazy love for Martin Allen this is the 5th time he’s been appointed.

Not sure if Graham Westley is unlucky on this occasion but his stock as a manager has plummeted the last few seasons.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Esoterica

W2 D4 L5 under him. Defeats against form teams like Wycombe, Cov, Mansfield, Carlisle. Credible draws vs Accrington, Lincoln and a win against Notts County. Only really bad result was a loss at Yeovil. Dislike Westley but this does seem a bit harsh on the surface. Preparing for life in the conference which Allen got the promoted from before i guess.

fernandopartridge

Is Martin Allen the only member of the Allen family still working in football?
Was Bradley the last top flight player the family produced?

Users who are viewing this thread