Match Thread Coventry City v Morecambe Match Thread Saturday 5th May (1 Viewer)

Kingokings204

Sorry but I don’t give a crap. We put ourselves in a position to only get a draw in the last day. It was always going to be cagey today. With 15 minutes left what are everyone’s fans expecting us to go crazy for s goal. These things naturally play out

You’re not telling me the other clubs wouldnt of done it?

SkyBlueMatt

Without reading anything on here to change my thought, how can anyone be disappointed with today? The people booing? Take a look at yourselves, morons. I can sort of understand people being not overly happy with paying their money and not seeing a team go all out. End of the day, we did exactly what we needed to do. Just imagine the fume if it had been the other way around, if we had lost out to a goal because we were pushing for 3 points that wasn't required.

Only Coventry city fans could complain about the result that gets us playoffs.

I couldn't be happier with the result. PUSB!!!!

itsabuzzard

Agree about the lost momentum. Can't help thinking that going all out today and winning convincingly (which we would surely have done) would be the best way to get in a good place for the semi. Anyway, well done lads, and let's stuff the County!

Sent from my LG-H850 using Tapatalk

Otis

Without reading anything on here to change my thought, how can anyone be disappointed with today? The people booing? Take a look at yourselves, morons. I can sort of understand people being not overly happy with paying their money and not seeing a team go all out. End of the day, we did exactly what we needed to do. Just imagine the fume if it had been the other way around, if we had lost out to a goal because we were pushing for 3 points that wasn't required.

Only Coventry city fans could complain about the result that gets us playoffs.

I couldn't be happier with the result. PUSB!!!!
Tend to agree.

I was wanting us to press for the goal, but wasn't getting on the players' backs or booing. Would rather we won, but came home happy in the knowledge we made the top 6 place and the play-offs ahead.

Seamus1

I understand people talking about momentum, but there has only been one occasion this season when we have won three league games in a row.

Win-draw-win would be fine for me for the next three games

Paul Anthony

The point of all this is a simple one. There came a point where it became apparent Morecambe needed just the point, so did we. There was no point us taking too many risks with players getting injured with such crucial games coming up. You have to take the importance of the game into context for both teams. Of course I want City to win every game they play. But today it wasn't the most important thing. The most important thing was securing that Play Off place. In any other game during the season, I'd have been frustrated, annoyed, angry. This isn't normal circumstances though, is it? The only thing that matters is we're in a Play Off place. After a certain point in the game, it was very clear there was no need to take any risks at all. We didn't need a serious injury to a key player like Davies or Doyle, or to risk another bad error by Burge. Here's an example: Alain Prost won 4 world championships by doing the exact same thing we did today. He didn't race always to win, he minimised the risks by claiming only the results he needed to be champion. You sometimes only have to do so much to be successful, rather than take full on risks all the time. Today was one of those occasions.

Kingokings204

The point of all this is a simple one. There came a point where it became apparent Morecambe needed just the point, so did we. There was no point us taking to0 many risks with players getting injured with such crucial games coming up. You have to take the importance of the game into context for both teams. Of course I want City to win every game they play. But today it wasn't the most important thing. The most important thing was securing that Play Off place. In any other game during the season, I'd have been frustrated, annoyed, angry. This isn't normal circumstances though, is it? The only thing that matters is we're in a Play Off place. After a certain point in the game, it was very clear there was no need to take any risks at all. We didn't need a serious injury to a key player like Davies or Doyle, or to risk another bad error by Burge. Here's an example: Alain Prost won 4 world championships by doing the exact same thing we did today. He didn't race always to win, he minimised the risks by claiming only the results he needed to be champion. You sometimes only have to do so much to be successful, rather than take full on risks all the time. Today was one of those occasions.

Perfectly put

Hobo

Not the best game but job done. Don't understanding all the moaning? Both sides needed a draw so the last 20mins saw both sides take no risks....what a surprise!

Smashing Morcambe wasn't going to get us promoted. The season is still alive for us and that is all that matters.

SlowerThanPlatt

If it was agreed both teams were going to settle for a draw after 45 mins or 60 mins wonder what would have happened if they or we got a pen?

James Smith

I think I'm still sober enough to say bloody brilliant stuff today. I am also pleased that we didn't knock Morecambe out of the league. Roll on the playoffs.

Otis

If it was agreed both teams were going to settle for a draw after 45 mins or 60 mins wonder what would have happened if they or we got a pen?
At that point Doyle or Rose, for them, would whip out a blindfold from their shorts and then spin the penalty taker round in a circle for 15 seconds before then letting them address the ball.

The CableGuy

I for one was worried all week that we would find some way to screw this up.

We didn't, and I'm grateful for that.

Everything else is just white noise.

Adge

I said that aswell, if one team scored you could guarantee it wouldn’t be long before the equaliser came.
What the hell was the booing all about though? Booing a team that had just made it into the top 6 and the playoffs? Lets be honest, it was a cast iron draw all day long.

James Smith

I said that aswell, if one team scored you could guarantee it wouldn’t be long before the equaliser came.
What the hell was the booing all about though? Booing a team that had just made it into the top 6 and the playoffs? Lets be honest, it was a cast iron draw all day long.

Clinton Morrison was on Goal Rush on Channel 5 earlier. He was pressed on the games today given he'd played for a few of them. He as good as admitted that he'd have gone for a draw if it had been him :D.

Adge

Clinton Morrison was on Goal Rush on Channel 5 earlier. He was pressed on the games today given he'd played for a few of them. He as good as admitted that he'd have gone for a draw if it had been him :D.
Like it or not, the players who play for us are employed and it's their job. The "job" required yesterday was to achieve a point to take us into the playoffs and as professionals this was carried out. I have no issue with that, but can see the other side of things as when we arrived at the Rico there were quite long ques at the cash turnstiles which meant obviously that people forked out £26 in some cases to watch it.

Nick

Administrator
Like it or not, the players who play for us are employed and it's their job. The "job" required yesterday was to achieve a point to take us into the playoffs and as professionals this was carried out. I have no issue with that, but can see the other side of things as when we arrived at the Rico there were quite long ques at the cash turnstiles which meant obviously that people forked out £26 in some cases to watch it.
I understand a job to do, going from the edge of their box back to our keeper is a bit extreme.

Sky Blue Harry H

I understand a job to do, going from the edge of their box back to our keeper is a bit extreme.

It was a couple of those that made my blood boil - I said to my mate that if we had one McDonald moment (a la Stevenage) then do we think the Morecambe striker would have deliberately missed? That was what annoyed me at the time and caused be to boo twice (which I haven't done in years, if ever - even during relegations etc) I'm over it now, and get all the hindsight stuff, but would have struggled to forgive those tactics if results had turned and we hadn't left ourselves time to turn it around. Anyway, on to Notts County (and I won't boo, whatever happens!) Come on City!

Astute

It was a couple of those that made my blood boil - I said to my mate that if we had one McDonald moment (a la Stevenage) then do we think the Morecambe striker would have deliberately missed? That was what annoyed me at the time and caused be to boo twice (which I haven't done in years, if ever - even during relegations etc) I'm over it now, and get all the hindsight stuff, but would have struggled to forgive those tactics if results had turned and we hadn't left ourselves time to turn it around. Anyway, on to Notts County (and I won't boo, whatever happens!) Come on City!
Would you prefer a team that attacks every game but doesn't ever get promotion, or a team that attacks some games but defends in a boring game when needed to get results that takes them up?

Speedies_Chips

The point of all this is a simple one. There came a point where it became apparent Morecambe needed just the point, so did we. There was no point us taking too many risks with players getting injured with such crucial games coming up. You have to take the importance of the game into context for both teams. Of course I want City to win every game they play. But today it wasn't the most important thing. The most important thing was securing that Play Off place. In any other game during the season, I'd have been frustrated, annoyed, angry. This isn't normal circumstances though, is it? The only thing that matters is we're in a Play Off place. After a certain point in the game, it was very clear there was no need to take any risks at all. We didn't need a serious injury to a key player like Davies or Doyle, or to risk another bad error by Burge. Here's an example: Alain Prost won 4 world championships by doing the exact same thing we did today. He didn't race always to win, he minimised the risks by claiming only the results he needed to be champion. You sometimes only have to do so much to be successful, rather than take full on risks all the time. Today was one of those occasions.

It was known before the game started.

Sky Blue Harry H

Would you prefer a team that attacks every game but doesn't ever get promotion, or a team that attacks some games but defends in a boring game when needed to get results that takes them up?

I'm with you mate - I just got wound up whilst watching it. Think it was because I had been so looking forward to it and wasn't expecting us to adopt those tactics quite so early in the game. I've moved on and already have wine gums for the lady in front who was (rightly) getting miffed at my frustration!

Users who are viewing this thread