Match Thread Coventry City v Morecambe Match Thread Saturday 5th May (2 Viewers)

Otis

So, injuries permitting it has to be the same side out on Saturday surely. You can't drop anyone following a 6-1 win.

Therefore, what will the bench be? Same as last time too?

Reid
JCH
Ponticelli
Barrett
Haynes
Hyam
LOB

Only threat to those subs I would have thought would be Vincenti perhaps, or McDonald back in the squad.

clint van damme

it is absolutely inconceivable that we don't get a result on Saturday.
With the greatest respect to Morecambe if we don't get ourselves over the line then something is badly wrong.

Earlsdon_Skyblue1

With the greatest respect to Morecambe if we don't get ourselves over the line then something is badly wrong.

Imagine come 5pm on Saturday we find ourselves finishing in 8th.

Not being negative, but we need to be cautious it could happen. I for one would be in absolute meltdown. It would be unforgivable actually.

I'd say a draw is a likely outcome but it could go either way. We could smash them, or the CCFC alter ego could turn up and we find ourselves lose 1-0.

CCFC88

6th in the home table and 6th in the away table after 45 games and people moan about how inconsistent we are....

Otis

Exactly.

This is the same Morecambe team that hasn't scored a single goal in their last 3 games and only had to pick up a draw at home last Saturday to be safe and they couldn't even manage that.

We should win, let alone draw.

We play to anything like our potential and we will win the game.

ccfcricoh

Without sounding over confident i too think we are play off safe but as far as i'm concerned we need to finish as high as possible still.

Over 2 legs we have had the following results this season,

4th - Exeter - beat 2-1 - 5th in form table (and away ticket issues!)
5th - Notts C - beat 4-2 - 7th in form table
7th Lincoln - lost 5-4 - 10th in form table

I would fancy our chances against Lincoln this time (lightning wont strike twice) so if we can sneak 4th place...excellent, not looking likely though.

I would rather play Notts than Exeter as well so if we can sneak into either 5th or 6th (preferably 5th for second leg home draw) even better.

We need to win - mainly to make the play offs slightly easier and keep confidence up!

Londonccfcfan

I'm not so sure Crawley are that attrocious to be honest.

They were on a bad run, but the last 5 games they have won 1, drawn 2 and lost 2 and their last draw was away against Exeter, so they do have it in them to get something at Mansfield. Definitely a possibility they can get a point there next Saturday.

Their form over last 10 league games is 23rd. But glimmer of hope is as you say they do seem to play better away from home. Let's hope they are up for it. As we saw with Cheltenham when you have sweet fa to play for could all go to pot. That 5 % edge is massive.

Got a feeling Mansfield will come flying out of the blocks and wouldn't be surprised to see them 2 to 3 goals up. Their so called bad form is all of sudden not looking so bad.

The pressure is going to be on us big time untill we score we just have to turn a blind eye to goings on elsewhere and concentrate till the game is over.

Earlsdon_Skyblue1

This could be dangerous.

Morecambe need to produce a result or will almost certainly fall out of the football league. They will be fighting for their lives.

We in our heads (not helped by pitch invasions and general complacency) already think we are in the playoffs.

It could be a recipe for disaster.

Londonccfcfan

This could be dangerous.

Morecambe need to produce a result or will almost certainly fall out of the football league. They will be fighting for their lives.

We in our heads (not helped by pitch invasions and general complacency) already think we are in the playoffs.

Far from sealed. Cannot be complacent have to be ON it. From the start. A whole seasons hard work rests on one game.

clint van damme

This could be dangerous.

If by "we" you're referring to the fans, you may be right. But it will be the attitude of the players that count.
I think they'll be right after Robins bollocking the other day.

Covstu

Far from sealed. Cannot be complacent have to be ON it. From the start. A whole seasons hard work rests on one game.
absolutely, we need to be aggressive from the getgo and get ahead. If we play for the draw I think we will get turned over.

covhead1

Big important games at the Ricoh!!!!!
Never go well for us, especially if there is a decent crowd!

Thats gotta change, right!!!!!
So why not on saturday.......3-1 City

Kingokings204

We would all take a draw but we have to get a goal. Get a cushion.

And get Burge out of goal.

Otis

This could be dangerous.

Although not an exact science, I would say..

Play well - Win quite comfortably

Play half-decently - Win

Play averagely - Draw

Play badly - Lose

I also don't buy this 'we lost at their place' argument.

Mark Robins after that defeat said 'It was horrendous, absolutely horrendous.'

We were awful. As long as we don't play badly this time around we will be fine.

clint van damme

Although not an exact science, I would say..

Play well - Win quite comfortably

Play half-decently - Win

Play averagely - Draw

Play badly - Lose

I also don't buy this 'we lost at their place' argument.

Mark Robins after that defeat said 'It was horrendous, absolutely horrendous.'

We were awful. As long as we don't play badly this time around we will be fine.

yeah, we were appalling at Morecambe. Was clear from the first couple of minutes that Nazon didn't want to be there and so many players had nightmares it was unbelievable.
What went on that day should have no bearing on Saturday.

Londonccfcfan

Why? Even at 0-0 we'll still be ahead of Mansfield.
In case we concede a goal. Then it completely flips on it's head. Nerves will be jangling.

But stay positive. I think they will be more concerned of conceding than we are. I think they will come to be very tight and 11 men behind the ball.

Trying to frustrate our attack. We play better when it's open. We have seen it countless times very hard to break down teams. And our frustration will lead to silly mistakes and passes. That's their game plan.

Otis

In case we concede a goal. Then it completely flips on it's head. Nerves will be jangling.

But stay positive. I think they will be more concerned of conceding than we are. I think they will come to be very tight and 11 men behind the ball.

Trying to frustrate our attack. We play better when it's open. We have seen it countless times very hard to break down teams. And our frustration will lead to silly mistakes and passes. That's their game plan.
I'm still not convinced it is. You seem certain, but their manager says they will attack and you only have to look at 2 out 3 of last home games, where we have conceded in the 1st minute, the 7th minute, the 11th minute and the 15th minute.

That points to a vulnerability early on.

Best thing Morecambe can do is to go a goal up and then defend that, knowing a draw will suffice.

Tommo72

BEF0ACDE-E625-4C56-BD35-60A068AAEB2A.jpeg Worth noting for some...

Good to see the club doing the fans village ahead of the game too, should help the build up.

Gazolba

I'm hoping for another emphatic win, but expecting a draw - which will suit both teams.
I'm pretty sure if it's even around 15 minutes before time, the last 15 minutes will not be interesting to watch.

Londonccfcfan

I'm still not convinced it is. You seem certain, but their manager says they will attack and you only have to look at 2 out 3 of last home games, where we have conceded in the 1st minute, the 7th minute, the 11th minute and the 15th minute.

That points to a vulnerability early on.

Best thing Morecambe can do is to go a goal up and then defend that, knowing a draw will suffice.

An extract from Crewe fan. When Morecambe played there last week.

I have nothing against Morecambe, good little club who have punched above their weight for years. But their absolute failure to take the game to us the other week could ultimately cost them their league status and deservedly so.

A Crewe side completely on the beach and experimenting a strike partnership of two big lads in Bowery and Porter who were as useful as a chocolate fireguard together and a Crewe side who kept passing to Morecambe shirts at will and were being carved open with ease on the very few occasions Morecambe decided to attack because we played like we didn't give a shit. So what did Morecambe do against this side? Play 5 at the back, put everyone behind the ball when we had the ball ourselves and failed to show any attacking ambition bar their few dangerous counter-attacks. Soon as Artell put Miller on we immediately started looking dangerous and we bagged a 90th minute goal that could potentially contribute to Morecambe's unprecedented relegation.

I'll give Barnet their dues, I don't like Martin Allen, but Barnet played some lovely stuff at the Alex under Rossi Eames in August. How they didn't score I don't know as we mugged them late on for 3 points. When we played recently, I thought both Barnet and Crewe were atrocious in poor weather, but give Barnet their due again, they played attacking football and got the reward that their industrious play deserved, even if we did give them a helping hand with the two penalties.

That was on 21/04/18

Otis

An extract from Crewe fan. When Morecambe played there last week.

I have nothing against Morecambe, good little club who have punched above their weight for years. But their absolute failure to take the game to us the other week could ultimately cost them their league status and deservedly so.

A Crewe side completely on the beach and experimenting a strike partnership of two big lads in Bowery and Porter who were as useful as a chocolate fireguard together and a Crewe side who kept passing to Morecambe shirts at will and were being carved open with ease on the very few occasions Morecambe decided to attack because we played like we didn't give a shit. So what did Morecambe do against this side? Play 5 at the back, put everyone behind the ball when we had the ball ourselves and failed to show any attacking ambition bar their few dangerous counter-attacks. Soon as Artell put Miller on we immediately started looking dangerous and we bagged a 90th minute goal that could potentially contribute to Morecambe's unprecedented relegation.

I'll give Barnet their dues, I don't like Martin Allen, but Barnet played some lovely stuff at the Alex under Rossi Eames in August. How they didn't score I don't know as we mugged them late on for 3 points. When we played recently, I thought both Barnet and Crewe were atrocious in poor weather, but give Barnet their due again, they played attacking football and got the reward that their industrious play deserved, even if we did give them a helping hand with the two penalties.

That was on 21/04/18
Yeah, but surely that is irrelevant to this game. How they played and set their stall up in other matches will probably have no bearing on this game at all.

This is a one off. We have been vulnerable very early on in 2 out of our last 3 matches.

I think if they set themselves up to draw against us they will lose.

I believe they will need to score to earn a point down here at the Ricoh. We scored 6 last time out and they have no goals in their last 3 games.

Teams set themselves up differently depending on who they are up against and also dependant upon what's at stake.

When we played them up there they had 18 shots against us.

They also played Wycombe away at the end of February and they won 4-2.

They scored 4 goals away from home, so are capable of attacking at times.

Londonccfcfan

Yeah, but surely that is irrelevant to this game. How they played and set their stall up in other matches will probably have no bearing on this game at all.

This is a one off. We have been vulnerable very early on in 2 out of our last 3 matches.

I believe they will need to score to earn a point down here at the Ricoh. We scored 6 last time out and they have no goals in their last 3 games.

Teams set themselves up differently depending on who they are up against and also dependant upon what's at stake.

Disagree, it will have an even bigger bearing on this game, they wont change their tactics of all season when they need just a point.

They will park the bus like we havnt seen all season and aim to frustrate 11 men behind every ball. Wait for the crowd to get frustrated as we find no way penetratimg their defense.

Them frustrating us will be victory for them.

They will get forward and try to hit us on the break or try to pinch a goal from set piece. But they wont be overambitious.

This game wether win lose or draw we will have 65% plus possession as they will let us have it and we will not have anyone to unlock two banks of 5.

If they come at us it will suicidal. They dont want a free flowing open game. They wont change their tactics of the season, hence wht they only conceded only 29 away goals which phenomenal considering their league poistion.

Watch what Robins says on Friday. Park the bus.

Its their only chance.

Just because Bentley says they are going for the win, diesnt mean they wont be trying to win by parking the bus, like FGR, Newport, Colchester et all have done season. Frustration will lead to a goal they hope.

We always play better vs teams that try to attack us. Like Luton etc.

Grendel

They’ll defend and defend and defend

Otis

Disagree, it will have an even bigger bearing on this game, they wont change their tactics of all season when they need just a point.

They will park the bus like we havnt seen all season and aim to frustrate 11 men behind every ball. Wait for the crowd to get frustrated as we find no way penetratimg their defense.

Them frustrating us will be victory for them.

They will get forward and try to hit us on the break or try to pinch a goal from set piece. But they wont be overambitious.

This game wether win lose or draw we will have 65% plus possession as they will let us have it and we will not have anyone to unlock two banks of 5.

If they come at us it will suicidal. They dont want a free flowing open game. They wont change their tactics of the season, hence wht they only conceded only 29 away goals which phenomenal considering their league poistion.

Watch what Robins says on Friday. Park the bus.

Its their only chance.

Just because Bentley says they are going for the win, diesnt mean they wont be trying to win by parking the bus, like FGR, Newport, Colchester et all have done season. Frustration will lead to a goal they hope.

We always play better vs teams that try to attack us. Like Luton etc.
Geez, you really are stating things like they are fact.

We have scored 11 goals in our last 3 games. Morecambe must be fearful that we WILL score.

Let's see what happens on Saturday eh.

I am not at all convinced they will park the bus. They will if they score for sure though. Go a goal up and they will defend to the death for sure.

Users who are viewing this thread