Coventry City v Luton Town - Championship playoff final - 27th May 2023 - Wembley Stadium (5 Viewers)

NorthernWisdom

It's not being negative, it's just reality. They are a very good side and very difficult to beat. To only have lost 8 of 46 Championship games all season says that quite clearly.

Of course we can beat them, but they are rightly favourites.
Yup. Plus I'm getting worryingly confident, and I'd rather have that pulled down a bit so I won't suffer crushing disappointment!

San Francisco

There are a whole generation of people who don’t care about the FA Cup and don’t understand how big it was then. It’s very understandable for them to say that this is bigger than the FA Cup

I would not swap that day for a win on Saturday myself but it’s very over the top to say this is a low and run down it’s importance when it’s by a massive distance the biggest match a load of our supporters have and maybe will ever experience.

If we get to the FA Cup final anytime soon the tune being sung here would change fast.

Brighton Sky Blue

There are a whole generation of people who don’t care about the FA Cup and don’t understand how big it was then. It’s very understandable for them to say that this is bigger than the FA Cup

I would not swap that day for a win on Saturday myself but it’s very over the top to say this is a low and run down it’s importance when it’s by a massive distance the biggest match a load of our supporters have and maybe will ever experience.

The people who got to experience our FA Cup win got to experience a lot of our time in the top division. If you were born in the mid-late 90s you’ve only ever really known the mostly gloomy era outside of it.

withnail

I think we’ll lose purely because I thought we’d lose at Middlesbrough and I’m not changing anything…including my socks*, pants*, scarf, shirt* and cap.

* socks ,, top and pants will go through the wash before the big day

croatskyblue

The people who got to experience our FA Cup win got to experience a lot of our time in the top division. If you were born in the mid-late 90s you’ve only ever really known the mostly gloomy era outside of it.

yes and for everyone who started at the end of the 90s and who grew up on Sky, glitz and glamour on tv while working watching us struggle every year (that must be a big proportion of our supporters these days) this is without doubt the biggest match of their lives and of course it’s going to be bigger than the fa cup. I don’t see the point in trying to lecture them that they are wrong to be more excited for this than they are are stories of what happened decades ago

PVA

yes and for everyone who started at the end of the 90s and who grew up on Sky, glitz and glamour on tv while working watching us struggle every year (that must be a big proportion of our supporters these days) this is without doubt the biggest match of their lives and of course it’s going to be bigger than the fa cup. I don’t see the point in trying to lecture them that they are wrong to be more excited for this than they are are stories of what happened decades ago

Fully agree with this bolded bit.

For fans of a certain age of course 87 was massive and bigger than this. For some younger fans of course this is the biggest game in their lifetime.

They are not mutually exclusive.

theferret

Weather looks warm and sunny for Saturday atm, so you wonder if this gives either team any sort of edge. Certainly a team that press high like Luton expend a lot of energy doing so. If we can weather the early storm you'd perhaps fancy us if we stay in the game.

Probably will make no difference, just over-thinking everything...

PVA

Weather looks warm and sunny for Saturday atm, so you wonder if this gives either team any sort of edge. Certainly a team that press high like Luton expend a lot of energy doing so. If we can weather the early storm you'd perhaps fancy us if we stay in the game.

Probably will make no difference, just over-thinking everything...

There's going to be a lot of players getting cramp.

Particularly by the team that is winning late on!

croatskyblue

Fully agree with this bolded bit.

For fans of a certain age of course 87 was massive and bigger than this. For some younger fans of course this is the biggest game in their lifetime.

They are not mutually exclusive.

we need more days like this and to celebrate them

the fact we only have a handful of days like this to compare is what is wrong with the club. So whether it’s playoff finals, fa cup finals, checkatrades, we should celebrate them all the same and not make out some are worth less than others and say the younger fans have it wrong, because all these big days and matches show the club is coming back.

Astute

Our younger supporters have had a great time. They are about to have their 3rd visit to Wembley in 6 years. That's more than the previous 134 years. We had to wait 50 years for a top 6 finish. Not only has the last 6 years given us a few top 6 finishes it has also given us a 1st 🏆

If we get promoted they will then have to get used to big defeats at times. A good result at times will be only losing to a single goal. Then they will start to understand why the cup win was massive. A relegation battle nearly every season isn't fun.

croatskyblue

No it didn't, over 46 games they were better than us.
We still beat them over a 2 legged semi final though.

robins and Viveash pulled out a tactical masterclass at The Riverside and they’re going to have to do it again, and we can do it, but I think this is going to be a really tough tense and nerve shredding final

Brighton Sky Blue

Our younger supporters have had a great time. They are about to have their 3rd visit to Wembley in 6 years. That's more than the previous 134 years. We had to wait 50 years for a top 6 finish. Not only has the last 6 years given us a few top 6 finishes it has also given us a 1st 🏆

If we get promoted they will then have to get used to big defeats at times. A good result at times will be only losing to a single goal. Then they will start to understand why the cup win was massive. A relegation battle nearly every season isn't fun.

The counterbalance to that is also 3 relegations and relegation battles in the Championship and League 1 plus being thrashed at home by the likes of Yeovil. Fighting to stay up in the top flight is preferable, at least in my view

archieboy

I first started going in 1984 my first game was Cyrille’s cov debut v Newcastle at HR, I kept going more and more over the next couple years and was lucky enough to get an fa cup final ticket after going to every round, I was 15 years old and had O-levels starting the following week! Now all these years later my 15 year old lad has a gcse this Wednesday and Wembley on Saturday! The fa cup was absolutely huge as it was a major honour but the PO final runs a close second in my eyes! Do us proud City one more time!
PUSB 💙

Astute

The counterbalance to that is also 3 relegations and relegation battles in the Championship and League 1 plus being thrashed at home by the likes of Yeovil. Fighting to stay up in the top flight is preferable, at least in my view
Depends how old they are 😁

To me they're about the same. An FA Cup win when not expected against a promotion to the Prem when not expected.

If we win I would love to see the open top bus brought out. Celebrate in style 🍾

NorthernWisdom

If we win I would love to see the open top bus brought out. Celebrate in style 🍾
Style?

67at6jlj-720.jpg

Brighton Sky Blue

Depends how old they are 😁

To me they're about the same. An FA Cup win when not expected against a promotion to the Prem when not expected.

Likewise

Users who are viewing this thread