Coventry City v Luton Town - Championship playoff final - 27th May 2023 - Wembley Stadium (8 Viewers)

Silverhatch

Alright Sky Blues, just popped in to say all the very best for Saturday. Spent three fabulous years living in Cov in the early 80s while @ Uni. Went to Highfield Road 40 or 50 times. Drove up to Cov for the Saturday night celebration after the cup final win (from London). Met my missus at Uni. So many happy memories of the City and area. Always kept an eye out for City and have pointed out to so many plastic EPL fans what a proper football club Cov is. This Brighton fan will be screaming at the TV on Saturday. PUSB!!

San Francisco

Alright Sky Blues, just popped in to say all the very best for Saturday. Spent three fabulous years living in Cov in the early 80s while @ Uni. Went to Highfield Road 40 or 50 times. Drove up to Cov for the Saturday night celebration after the cup final win (from London). Met my missus at Uni. So many happy memories of the City and area. Always kept an eye out for City and have pointed out to so many plastic EPL fans what a proper football club Cov is. This Brighton fan will be screaming at the TV on Saturday. PUSB!!

Cheers, I hope you make it to Europe mate. Much rather see a new face instead of "Big club" Spurs.

no_loyalty

A Spurs fan at my workplace who didn’t even know the Spurs result on Saturday reckons Luton will batter us.

LTFC2023

Evening all

Well, if anybody had said that we’d both be in this position whilst we were bouncing around non-league and you were playing at Sixfields they would have been laughed at, yet here we are. Fairly sure Sunderland and Boro were pretty confident it wouldn’t happen this time last week…

Don’t know about you lot, but I’m trying to enjoy the lead up but getting more nervy as Saturday gets closer. Would like to see Cov back in the top flight, but if you could hang on until next season I’d be grateful!

Robinshio

Evening all

Well, if anybody had said that we’d both be in this position whilst we were bouncing around non-league and you were playing at Sixfields they would have been laughed at, yet here we are. Fairly sure Sunderland and Boro were pretty confident it wouldn’t happen this time last week…

Don’t know about you lot, but I’m trying to enjoy the lead up but getting more nervy as Saturday gets closer. Would like to see Cov back in the top flight, but if you could hang on until next season I’d be grateful!
We are quite happy to be in the top flight next season. Thanks for your generosity

clint van damme

Evening all

Will be gutted if we lose, absolutely gutted.
But losing to a team whos been through so much shit like we have will soften the blow a smidgen.

Calista

It will be the biggest game for me and obviously important for the club when you bear in mind the riches that come with it, but i also appreciate 50 years from now it will be pretty insignificant whereas the cup win is etched into the clubs and general sporting history.
You've hit the nail on the head. This is clearly the biggest game in the lifetime of many fans, and absolutely massive. But if we don't make it this time (or even if we do!) I can at least imagine other chance(s) for promotion to the Prem will come along sooner or later. We might even become a bit of a yo-yo club? But the chance to put a major trophy in the cabinet only came along once, and we took it in style for a permanent place in the football history books.

LTFC2023

Will be gutted if we lose, absolutely gutted.
But losing to a team whos been through so much shit like we have will soften the blow a smidgen.
I think that’s the general thought in these parts too. There is what can come across like sense of entitlement with some other clubs in the Championship, like they “should” be in the PL, given our respective recent struggles, both of us being 90mins from it has put a few noses out of joint.

We’ve fallen short at the PO stage several times, we either go up in the autos or not at all, desperately hoping we break that curse this time round though.

I just hope it doesn’t go to penalties…Christ, just thinking about that makes me feel a bit sick..

bigfatronssba

I think that’s the general thought in these parts too. There is what can come across like sense of entitlement with some other clubs in the Championship, like they “should” be in the PL, given our respective recent struggles, both of us being 90mins from it has put a few noses out of joint.

We’ve fallen short at the PO stage several times, we either go up in the autos or not at all, desperately hoping we break that curse this time round though.

I just hope it doesn’t go to penalties…Christ, just thinking about that makes me feel a bit sick..

I've been saying for a few weeks that if its not us I want it to be Luton. None of the other teams in the Play Off race have suffered like our two clubs.
I think when you face the prospect of your club going completely out of existence, you learn a new found respect for others teams that have been through similar hardship.

And as for entitlement, try searching either Coventry or Luton in twitter. In fairness 80% of the comments love that its us two in the final. But there are some really ignorant tweets about it being the "worst play off ever".

Brighton Sky Blue

The play offs can often be a cruel mistress. In this instance I’d much sooner both clubs be able to go up instead of one get the biggest kick in the balls. Just kick Bournemouth out of it anyway I say.

Sky_Blue_Dreamer

It's going to be a close game, and could be interesting to a neutral due to the contrasting style of the two teams.

We'll have to deal with their physicality and we can't let them bully us. I'd keep the box and look to press and pick up the second balls outside either box. I'm glad we've got Fadz and McNally at the back, and Doyle has come on leaps and bounds while Bidwell is reliable and Kelly should provide solid protection in front of the defence.

We need to use the bigger pitch to play down the channels to Vic rather than lumping it central, and try and get BNC into attacking positions on the right. Hopefully Hamer will have a bit of room in the middle.

We can't do the small fouls we did against Boro and give cheap free-kicks for them to lob into the penalty area.

I'm not sure whether VAR will work in our favour or not. I fear we may worry about Luton's set-pieces and end up doing some holding etc that might get picked up.

We'll have to be at our best, but if we are then we've got a decent chance of winning.

Sky_Blue_Dreamer

I've been saying for a few weeks that if its not us I want it to be Luton. None of the other teams in the Play Off race have suffered like our two clubs.
I think when you face the prospect of your club going completely out of existence, you learn a new found respect for others teams that have been through similar hardship.

And as for entitlement, try searching either Coventry or Luton in twitter. In fairness 80% of the comments love that its us two in the final. But there are some really ignorant tweets about it being the "worst play off ever".
Without a doubt if we weren't there I'd 100% be rooting for Luton.

Brighton Sky Blue

It's going to be a close game, and could be interesting to a neutral due to the contrasting style of the two teams.

We'll have to deal with their physicality and we can't let them bully us. I'd keep the box and look to press and pick up the second balls outside either box. I'm glad we've got Fadz and McNally at the back, and Doyle has come on leaps and bounds while Bidwell is reliable and Kelly should provide solid protection in front of the defence.

We need to use the bigger pitch to play down the channels to Vic rather than lumping it central, and try and get BNC into attacking positions on the right. Hopefully Hamer will have a bit of room in the middle.

We can't do the small fouls we did against Boro and give cheap free-kicks for them to lob into the penalty area.

I'm not sure whether VAR will work in our favour or not. I fear we may worry about Luton's set-pieces and end up doing some holding etc that might get picked up.

We'll have to be at our best, but if we are then we've got a decent chance of winning.

For us to succeed I think the strategy needs to revolve around very quick counter attacks and switching the play to catch them out of shape.

For them, play for set pieces and a high press. Gyo needs his shooting boots back and the defence needs to hold firm.

standupforcity

The pitch is smaller than CBS... One meter wider ten meters shorter..

LTFC2023

Completely agree.

I sometimes question why, but Talksport is the radio station that tends to be on in my car. Listening to fans of PL clubs beside themselves with anger about missing out on a European spot, I do often wonder how they’d get on with facing their club folding completely. Back in the Wenger days, the number of Arsenal fans calling in complaining about “only” winning FA cups was unreal. I realise that expectations are higher at big clubs, but I felt like calling in and mentioning that my first Luton game (back in ‘87) was against Man Utd, whereas my son’s first game many years later was against Braintree…Only winning FA cups? Poor souls.

Yeah, I’ve seen a few negative comments about the final. I’d like to think that they come from armchair fans of fashionable clubs that just don’t get it. As you say, the vast majority of football supporters seem to be extremely positive about the two clubs getting to this point after falling so far. Colin Murray wrote a very good article about it recently- he gets it.

With any luck, our clubs being where they are this week really annoys the entitled brigade. They can call it the Isthmian Midlands League PO final if they like, we don’t care, winner is off to the PL.

LTFC2023

The play offs can often be a cruel mistress. In this instance I’d much sooner both clubs be able to go up instead of one get the biggest kick in the balls. Just kick Bournemouth out of it anyway I say.
I’d say going up via the PO’s is probably more exciting than finishing a comfortable 2nd in the league (though I’m not speaking from experience here), but losing in them is a kick in the teeth, that much I do know.

We could throw the current bottom four out? Everton won’t mind- they’ve had a good run, the change of scenery would do them good.

shmmeee

I’m loving the plastics losing their shit TBH, same as the promoted teams staying up this season, the more clubs up there that haven’t had riches dropped on the the better IMO.

If we don’t go up I’ll certainly be rooting for Luton in the Prem next season.

ProfessorbyGrace

Too close to call. This could easily go to extra time and penalties. Or we sneak it 1-0 in similar style to Middlesbrough.

Even if we don’t make it, it’s been a heck of a ride.

In my bones, I feel we can do it, though. Robins has this knack of getting everything out of his players in these high profile situations.

Johhny Blue

Still not letting myself believe. Been a great season play offs final is one hell of a result. Should be a great season with more fans and a host of new signings next year in the Championship.
I think I’m at peace with that. But the closer the weekend gets the more I want the return to the prem

Users who are viewing this thread