Coventry City Supporters Forum - Zoom meeting 3/12 5pm (1 Viewer)

skybluetony176

Is there a “Plan B” with UOW for the site? Ie combined new training ground and academy?

Reactions: vow

Sky Blue Pete

Coventry City Supporters Forum

Zoom Call – 3rd December 2020 @ 5.00pm

AGENDA

1. Welcome – Including meeting protocols CH
2. Apologies for Absence CH
3. Dave Boddy up-date (inc feedback on questions received in advance of the meeting) DB
4. Deputy Chairman – Nomination process & Timetable. CH
5. Family Zone CH
6. AOB
7. Date of next meeting (Zoom call)

Sky Blue Pete

Submitted Questions for Dave Boddy @ Supporters Forum Meeting – 3rd December 2020

1. How can the club continue to be funded without match day revenues, particularly when we are likely to need some additions to the playing squad in January to remain competitive in the Championship?
2. What will happen to membership and season ticket money paid in advance this season especially if no one can see a game this season?
3. When fans are eventually allowed into St Andrews with reduced capacities in tier 1 & 2 how is the club going to prioritise which fans will be allowed to attend? (note it appears there are more season ticket holders than places available)
4. Will home location and distance from the ground be a criterion for allocating who can attend matches?
5. Regardless of the final criteria used, if an individual selected cannot attend a match, can their ticket be allocated to others, family members or friends?
6. If fans are allowed back in before the end of the season will supporters be spread throughout the stadium?
7. Are talks still progressing with Wasps about an interim return to the Ricoh while the new stadium plans come to fruition at Warwick University? What is the state of those talks?
8. Has planning permission been secured for the New Warwick University Site? Is there a draft timeline? How is the PR being handled?
9. Is it the club’s intention to move the training ground to the new site as well?
10. Has there been any up-date on the European Court review? If so, what are the next steps?

Londonccfcfan

I’d be pretty happy being deputy chair but I’ll see how that goes

I listened to the Dave Boddy Podcast last night. Very honest and insightfull indeed, especially about the finances side and there was confirmation that alot of work going on behind the scenes with Warwick Uni.

Pass on the thanks to him from the fans about what a brilliant job he has done so far his team.

From what i gather we need to stay up (obviously) then we are can more than manage on the budget.

What was interesting from podcast was that they only budgeted for 3 live sky games money for whole season.

Grendel

Pass on the thanks to him from the fans about what a brilliant job he has done so far his team.

I don’t think that everyone fan views Boddy in such glowing terms

Grendel

Not unexpected really. Get a minority in every fan base.

Boddy is there to represent the owners strategy - whatever that may be

He is better at PR and he is better and self presentation and general communication than what has gone before.

I’m sure if you asked are people happy with on field results clearly it’s an overwhelming yes

If you asked fans are they happy with playing away from home you’d get a different answer

If you ask do people believe there is a new ground really on the horizon it’s also likely to be negative. That alone is not a support of Boddy it’s questioning his integrity in this area.

He is paid to deliver the message of the owners strategy and get fans on board with it. He’s good at that but is paid by the owner and will always support the owner first and the club second

I’m sure he was appointed due to his interesting past association with a nomadic football club

He’s not shown any analysis on why a ground is important and what happens if it does not take off.

His job is to keep the EFL happy and fans compliant. He’s doing that to an extent and the ultimate cost to the clubs future is not on his priority list

Sky Blue Pete

Forum meeting was good. Nothing amazing and no revelations

Talks ongoing with wasps
Daily meetings on new stadium - only want to update when things are substantial. Covid delayed things
Budget includes significant support from owner but all agreed at start of season
Mark Hornby gave some interesting answers in terms of communication on the stadium. Recognise there’s huge cynicism so don’t want to make promises they can’t keep
First crowd should be v Stoke on Boxing Day. 2000. Priority to season ticket holders this and last year then ballot of season ticket holders this year. About 3000 bought season tickets
No away fans this season

I suppose the one take home for me was the trust in the form of dave Eyles working to play their part in supporting ccfc. Potential program involving afc bury and safe standing contacts that he has shared with Ccfc. Was impressed by Dave

Notes should be out soon

mr_monkey

Talks ongoing with wasps
Daily meetings on new stadium - only want to update when things are substantial. Covid delayed things
Budget includes significant support from owner but all agreed at start of season
Mark Hornby gave some interesting answers in terms of communication on the stadium. Recognise there’s huge cynicism so don’t want to make promises they can’t keep
First crowd should be v Stoke on Boxing Day. 2000. Priority to season ticket holders this and last year then ballot of season ticket holders this year. About 3000 bought season tickets
No away fans this season

I suppose the one take home for me was the trust in the form of dave Eyles working to play their part in supporting ccfc. Potential program involving afc bury and safe standing contacts that he has shared with Ccfc. Was impressed by Dave

Notes should be out soon

Thanks for the good work as always mate

Quick question for you/someone who knows more about things than me....

I thought sport viewing wasn't happening im tier 3 places, and if it does i thought you couldn't travel to a tier 3 place from outside? so does that mean it's only Brum based fans that can go on boxing day (if the current tier stays the same)

Sky Blue Pete

Thanks for the good work as always mate

Quick question for you/someone who knows more about things than me....

I thought sport viewing wasn't happening im tier 3 places, and if it does i thought you couldn't travel to a tier 3 place from outside? so does that mean it's only Brum based fans that can go on boxing day (if the current tier stays the same)
It’s a great question

Should have said first possible game rather than definite!!

If the tiers change on 16th the Huddersfield game is too close

If Birmingham tier 3 no fans irrespective of coventry tier. If Birmingham tier 2 and coventry tier 3 which is highly unlikely tier 2 fans shouldn’t go

I assumed from the way DB was talking that Christmas rules would apply for Boxing Day but I recognise this was an assumption and I didn’t clarify.

mr_monkey

It’s a great question

If Birmingham tier 3 no fans irrespective of coventry tier. If Birmingham tier 2 and coventry tier 3 which is highly unlikely tier 2 fans shouldn’t go

I assumed from the way DB was talking that Christmas rules would apply for Boxing Day but I recognise this was an assumption and I didn’t clarify.

Ah of course, the Christmas rule where covid takes its break for a few days :)

Thanks for the clarification

Skybluefaz

Talks ongoing with wasps
No away fans this season

Notes should be out soon
Talks ongoing with Wasps. Anything more on that? Is there an option to come back mid-season for example?

edgy

It would take both Cov and Brum to be in Tier 2 before anyone is allowed to attend live.

Not sure whether this is relevant but the FA have told adult grassroots football clubs they cannot travel between counties irrespective of their tiers. Even if they are the same.

Frostie

Notes should be out soon

What are the Trust & Dave Eyles doing in support of the club - just something about safe standing?
Seems very contradictory that he'd give anything meaningful given his previous positioning of refusing to go to games & undermining the owners at every possible turn.

shmmeee

Shame we didn’t ask about long term viability in this division instead of making it about COVID. Would’ve been more illuminating. Obviously this season we will get support from the owners, the more pressing concern is whether as a club we can compete at this level at all and whether a new ground will change that.

RegTheDonk

Talks ongoing with wasps
No away fans this season

Notes should be out soon
Thanks for the update Pete. Weather or not anything significant has happened, its' good to get it from someone who actually attended, so thanks to you and Mark for the continued insight.

NorthernWisdom

What are the Trust & Dave Eyles doing in support of the club - just something about safe standing?
Seems very contradictory that he'd give anything meaningful given his previous positioning of refusing to go to games & undermining the owners at every possible turn.
I have to say, Dave comes across as sincere and genuine, and honest in his opinions. I believe he wants the best for the club, regardless of whether he wants to go to St. Andrews or not. You can not want to go to St Andrews, but still want to support the club and the club's actions - there is nuance available.

Whether that applies for all the trust board is another matter (Lionel Bird should not be there, if they want to give any kind of impression of being neutral!!), and whether Dave is a leader rather than just administrator are other questions, but I don't have any worries about him, himself, in terms of why he's there.

Oh, as for the meeting, not wanting to update on a new stadium until something significant happens is excellent. Shame that they've done exactly that and updated on nothing repeatedly, however.

Sky Blue Pete

Shame we didn’t ask about long term viability in this division instead of making it about COVID. Would’ve been more illuminating. Obviously this season we will get support from the owners, the more pressing concern is whether as a club we can compete at this level at all and whether a new ground will change that.
It was very different to what I expected. Next meeting in January so will look to ask things a little more. Not sure of what the remit is. I may ask for some terms of reference

Sky Blue Pete

Talks ongoing with Wasps. Anything more on that? Is there an option to come back mid-season for example?
Nothing more

Sky Blue Pete

I have to say, Dave comes across as sincere and genuine, and honest in his opinions. I believe he wants the best for the club, regardless of whether he wants to go to St. Andrews or not. You can not want to go to St Andrews, but still want to support the club and the club's actions - there is nuance available.

Whether that applies for all the trust board is another matter (Lionel Bird should not be there, if they want to give any kind of impression of being neutral!!), and whether Dave is a leader rather than just administrator are other questions, but I don't have any worries about him, himself, in terms of why he's there.

Oh, as for the meeting, not wanting to update on a new stadium until something significant happens is excellent. Shame that they've done exactly that and updated on nothing repeatedly, however.
Yeah Mark thought I was having a go. I genuinely wanted to know how he thought it was going down. I think the November update was unnecessary in all honesty

Frostie

The same David Eyles that encouraged boycotters, claiming he would never go to games, even at the Ricoh, under SISU until he was found out?

The same David Eyles that welcomed & enabled the likes of Kalns, Johnson, Bird etc?

The same David Eyles who intentionally tries to divide the fanbase with his "Scab" & "tearing families apart" comments to the national press?

The same David Eyles that constantly criticises the owners on how they run the club, stating that the Trust need to have a stake in it but can't even get his own organisation to follow their own Constitution?

Forgive me for being cynical.

mark82

It’s a great question

Will see if I can get confirmation on that @Sky Blue Pete

mark82

Dave has been supportive when we've put statements out in the past. I don't always agree with him but he's a genuine fan and does want what's best for the club. I don't think he is necessarily the problem within the Trust. Hopefully some of the new blood will turn things round.

NorthernWisdom

Dave has been supportive when we've put statements out in the past. I don't always agree with him but he's a genuine fan and does want what's best for the club. I don't think he is necessarily the problem within the Trust. Hopefully some of the new blood will turn things round.
Healthy disagreement is no bad thing. We all have subtly different positions, after all.
Yeah Mark thought I was having a go. I genuinely wanted to know how he thought it was going down. I think the November update was unnecessary in all honesty

I think I asked you to ask how they thought the PR was going ;) It's a valid question that really, they should always be asking themselves, too. It would be remiss of them not to be! It's also an open question which allows them a whole range of answers, from excellent, to bloody awful.

mark82

It’s a great question

Confirmed with Dave B that the Stoke game will only have supporters if both Birmingham and Coventry exit tier 3.

Sky Blue Pete

Healthy disagreement is no bad thing. We all have subtly different positions, after all.

I think I asked you to ask how they thought the PR was going ;) It's a valid question that really, they should always be asking themselves, too. It would be remiss of them not to be! It's also an open question which allows them a whole range of answers, from excellent, to bloody awful.
Yep. I think they were regretting the disconnect from saying we won’t update with nothing to update having just done so

shmmeee

The same David Eyles that encouraged boycotters, claiming he would never go to games, even at the Ricoh, under SISU until he was found out?

The same David Eyles that welcomed & enabled the likes of Kalns, Johnson, Bird etc?

The same David Eyles who intentionally tries to divide the fanbase with his "Scab" & "tearing families apart" comments to the national press?

The same David Eyles that constantly criticises the owners on how they run the club, stating that the Trust need to have a stake in it but can't even get his own organisation to follow their own Constitution?

Forgive me for being cynical.

Just let it drop FFS. This petty eye for eye cancel culture crap on both sides isn’t conducive to any progress.

If people are being dicks right now then fine call it out, all this “you did a polite clap ten years ago and are really an evil coconspirator” crap needs to stop. Before you know it we’re onto whether Jimmy Hill should’ve been fired.

Leave it in the past. Are people really nostalgic for 2013 again?

• Poo

Frostie

Just let it drop FFS. This petty eye for eye cancel culture crap on both sides isn’t conducive to any progress.

If people are being dicks right now then fine call it out, all this “you did a polite clap ten years ago and are really an evil coconspirator” crap needs to stop. Before you know it we’re onto whether Jimmy Hill should’ve been fired.

Leave it in the past. Are people really nostalgic for 2013 again?

So all should be forgiven then because it wasn't in the last few months?
The "scabs" interview deliberately designed to divide the fanbase was only earlier this year.

If you only want to talk about the here & now are you telling me Dave Eyles wasn't directly involved in co-opting Lionel Bird on to the board of the Trust? On what grounds should somebody of his character be representing Coventry City fans?

As chair of the Trust is he not responsible for ensuring they follow their constitution either?
They don't file accounts on time & take well over a year to post meeting minutes for example.

As they continually claim to represent over 3000 fans & are the go to for the press it's robbing CCFC fans of a meaningful voice.
They're a joke organisation & our fans deserve better.

I'd send you a link but their website doesn't even work...

shmmeee

So all should be forgiven then because it wasn't in the last few months?
The "scabs" interview deliberately designed to divide the fanbase was only earlier this year.

If you only want to talk about the here & now are you telling me Dave Eyles wasn't directly involved in co-opting Lionel Bird on to the board of the Trust? On what grounds should somebody of his character be representing Coventry City fans?

As chair of the Trust is he not responsible for ensuring they follow their constitution either?
They don't file accounts on time & take well over a year to post meeting minutes for example.

As they continually claim to represent over 3000 fans & are the go to for the press it's robbing CCFC fans of a meaningful voice.
They're a joke organisation & our fans deserve better.

I'd send you a link but their website doesn't even work...

I just think at some point all this anger and grief between City fans isn’t getting us anywhere. The club have tried to reset relations and chosen who they want there, let’s give that a chance to work without bringing the baggage of the past.

Sky Blue Pete

Submitted Questions for Dave Boddy @ Supporters Forum Meeting – 3rd December 2020

1. How can the club continue to be funded without match day revenues, particularly when we are likely to need some additions to the playing squad in January to remain competitive in the Championship?

DB - Quite simple answer – It will require owner funding and substantial owner funding. The Owners have committed to doing that from the start of this season
CH – Asked about Premier League bailout – DB said they will support the interest on CCFC borrowing money over a period of time. Communication from EFL says it can only be used for certain things. Only landed today so not read it yet. General funding is the issue, much like other clubs.
Prudently budgeted knowing what was coming so this is all in place.

2. What will happen to membership and season ticket money paid in advance this season especially if no one can see a game this season?

DB – Very clear in T&C’s that there would be no refunds made. Sold the membership on the grounds that it may not be possible to see any football.
RS – Doesn’t think there should be any confusion. He doesn’t think there will be an issue. He did say he hasn’t received the shirt. TS advised that the shirt would be available from January. Press release 25/10 – suggesting this would be towards the end of January.
CH – Most people understood the membership wasn’t refundable but what about the £50 season ticket. DB advised the I-follow product was added for this reason.

3. When fans are eventually allowed into St Andrews with reduced capacities in tier 1 & 2 how is the club going to prioritise which fans will be allowed to attend? (note it appears there are more season ticket holders than places available)

DB – First possible game will be 26/12 v Stoke. Not possible to do it for the Huddersfield game(16/12) even if the tiers were changed as there just wouldn’t be time after decision on 15/12. First priority for tickets to the game will be those that bought season tickets both last season and also for this season. Then it will go to fans who bought for this season if possible. Ballots will be used if demand exceeds capacity. Then for the next game those that missed out will have a higher priority in the subsequent ballot.

SC – TS advised that fans will not be allowed to travel from tier 3 to tier 2 or tier 1 locations of grounds.

DB – Thinks it unlikely Coventry will be tier 3 when Birmingham are in tier 2 but it could be the other way around.

For all decisions CCFC will be guided by Birmingham City Council SAG on a joint basis for Birmingham City FC and CCFC.

4. Will home location and distance from the ground be a criterion for allocating who can attend matches?

Covered above

5. Regardless of the final criteria used, if an individual selected cannot attend a match, can their ticket be allocated to others, family members or friends?

DB – No, because of track and trace purposes. CCFC need to be 100% certain the person who has the ticket attends the game

DE – Will that be policed / ID required at the ground? DB – No the policing will be by attending with the digital ticket provided.

6. If fans are allowed back in before the end of the season will supporters be spread throughout the stadium?

DB – Yes, the theory of the 2000 crowd is they will be split in two separate stands at St Andrews (Kop and Gil Merrick, due to stadium logistics) and it’s likely this will also apply once 4000 fans are allowed.

CH – How might car parking work? DB agrees the demand will be significant. Car parking on-site will not be available. MH – Wheels is an off-site option but there will be others. DB – As soon as we’ve hopefully got the green light for the Stoke game CCFC will be looking to supply details for the parking situation.

CH – Asked about whether there were more than 2000 people that bought season tickets. DB advised there were circa 3000 people that bought season tickets this season

7. Are talks still progressing with Wasps about an interim return to the Ricoh while the new stadium plans come to fruition at Warwick University? What is the state of those talks?

DB – Simple answer – Talks are still taking place. NDA’s as to what can and can’t say. Don’twant to say anything that may aggravate the situation.

RS – Asked about the pitch condition if we go back to the Ricoh. DB says that this is part of the discussions and it’s been made very clear that CCFC need to be involved in requirements for the playing surface at the Ricoh.

8. Has planning permission been secured for the New Warwick University Site? Is there a draft timeline? How is the PR being handled?

DB – The planning application is being worked on but it’s not a straightforward process. Travel plans need to be incorporated, for example A46 link road and light rail solution.
Lots of work going on and meetings taking place daily. He
couldn’t put a timeline on a planning application but hopefully this will be in 2021

MH – Is aware there is a lot of cynicism given previous communication about a new stadium. They are aware of the importance of taking a responsible approach to what is communicated. CCFC felt that an update was important this side of Christmas and so an update was made in November.
DB added he felt it was vital not to make promises that may not be possible but that as things are delivered, updates can be made to the supporters.

9. Is it the club’s intention to move the training ground to the new site as well?

DB – There will only be room on the site for the stadium and the other enabling developments to support the building of the stadium.

CH – Would this group get any involvement. DB – Explained that there may be an opportunity for representation. DB stated that the Stadium will be as environmentally friendly as possible.

CH – Felt that it would be beneficial to be involved in the drawing up of the stadium. DBUadded that it helps supporters to feel involved in asking their opinion through a supporter’s forum.

DB – When he gets notes from PG a call will be set up with this group for that purpose.

DE has been contacted by groups regarding safe standing. DB confirmed safe standing is very much part of the overall thinking of the stadium.

10. Has there been any up-date on the European Court review? If so, what are the next steps?

DB spoke with Laura Deering on receipt of this question and that there hasn’t been an updatefrom the European Court. DB feels it’s not really a priority at this moment in time for the EU

RS – Once we are out of EU – Does it still go through the court. DB – Unless there is a deal done between the UK government and the EU on state aid then a judgement will still be required. PG confirmed this was how the CCC saw the situation too. DB advised this was not an issue between CCFC and Wasps when agreeing a deal.

Additional questions

11. CH asked about away tickets and travel – DB thinks it’s highly unlikely that any away fans will be allowed this season in the Championship.
12. RS asked about money from I-follow – DB confirmed that CCFC get the money when i-follow is accessed through the CCFC portal for home and away games. MH clarified that it was easy to attach a laptop via a HDMI cable to a TV to watch the game. RS stated that this is not possible through an ipad.
13. DE fed back on his I-follow experience explaining that the Red Button commentary and opposition commentary leaves a lot to be desired. MH clarified that you can click on the settings button in the bottom right of the screen and select CCFC commentary for every i-follow game home or away.
14. Mike Garlick asked about the Premier League proposal for finance and restructure of the league – DB explained that it’s on the back-burner for now but it hasn’t gone away.
15. DB explained that with a 2000 capacity there would be no road closures on match days
16. DB advised he will check with BCFC about disabled supporters pre-ordering for half time but that at the moment no food or drink would be being sold inside St Andrews.

Reactions: AOM

Users who are viewing this thread