Coventry City start talks with defender Chris Stokes over new deal (1 Viewer)

NorthernWisdom

There could be room here for progression from this guy
What Is he around mid twenties
Didn't he start higher up the pyramid than FGR?
Baker finally made It at our level after Southport Morcomb etc think Keogh had a similar start, not too late for this lad, for this level at least

Yup, and it's not like he follows a glorious tradition of left backs.

If he can defend, that's a start...

johnwillomagic

I think once again people have sky blue shades on when it comes to Haynes just because his one of our own.
Purely impartially on perfoirmances last year you would have Stokes ahead of Haynes.........I think Haynes has potential too and is younger
then Stokes.........but we cannot have four players in each position. in a league one....something many do not seem to grasp on here!!

So taking that into account and fact I do not personally believe left back is most important position to spend money on in a squad.
Would be happy with Stokes and Haynes. Stokes as number one who may not be best but will not be worst very competent at this level.
Haynes would be motivated still as would imagine he would feel he could challenge and maybe knock Stokes out of team if loses form?

There are other areas I would spend money on the central spine of the team being one!!

rupert_bear

More than okay with signing Stokes, was part of a rejuvinated City eleven under Mowbray winning most of it's away games and having a number of clean sheets, couldn't win at home i know but that was all the squads problem not just the left back, from what i witnessed match fitness was his main issue. We will have young Haynes too who may get the role in front of the left back.
Apart from Stokes i wouldn't be surprised we don't sign the German striker too.

torchomatic

Agree r_p. I don't think Stokes is as bad as is being made out. I thought he did well. He also scored more than most of our midfield players.

Speedies_Chips

More than okay with signing Stokes, was part of a rejuvinated City eleven under Mowbray winning most of it's away games and having a number of clean sheets, couldn't win at home i know but that was all the squads problem not just the left back, from what i witnessed match fitness was his main issue. We will have young Haynes too who may get the role in front of the left back.
Apart from Stokes i wouldn't be surprised we don't sign the German striker too.

Do you mean you wouldn't be surprised if we did sign the german striker?

Gint11

I trust TM's opinion and I think Stokes will be a useful squad player who will improve under TM and will be the right attitude and personality we need at the club in the squad. Good news to get him on board.

Skyblueweeman

I agree with the few who think this is an ok signing. Could turn out to be a useful squad player or a decent LB, depending on whether TM gets the best out of him with a full preseason.

As a couple have mentioned, at least we're not going to be spunking all our money on an ageing LB in the twilight of their career, when we need to be spending it on central positions like GK, Striker etc.

Malaka

I'm OK with the signing, I thought he lacked a bit if fitness, which you can expect after the step up. Lets see what he like after a full preseason and give him a bit of encouragement.

ceetee

I think most people now agree that we should looking at talent rising from the lower leagues so let's just give the lad a chance.

If it's a mistake it won't be an expensive one.

ccfcway

is pugh still with us?

if so thats prob LB deals done?

Pugh(if fit)
Stokes(back up)
Haynes (rotation)

Daniel Adam "Danny" Pugh is an English footballer who is currently a free agent, following his release from Coventry City in May 2015.

oldskyblue58

CCFC Finance Director
I think Stokes is a decent enough squad player who has the ability to improve. I do think he lacks a bit of pace though. Deserves a chance

Grendel

Stokes will be okay, I remember Tony Book !

I don't get the negativity - Christ some people bigged up Hussey as the next Gareth Bale and he was seriously useless.

Hobo

A players development is not scripted, there is no crystal ball. They have potential, seen by someone in the club; whether the staff and the player can develop that potential is another matter. I think fans play a big part in that development, either by supporting and seeing the potential, or by destroying it because they aren't putting in international class performances week in week out.

on our limited budget (and it is limited) we need to concentrate on investing in the spine of the team.

Gaz71

Stokes looks a threat at set pieces, also Reda likes left back if he signs for another year so we have a few that can fill in that position

SlowerThanPlatt

Mowbray said its Stokes as 1st choice left back next year with Haynes as back up to start with. No plans to get another LB.

stupot07

Mowbray said its Stokes as 1st choice left back next year with Haynes as back up to start with. No plans to get another LB.

Yep, that's what I thought would happen.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - so please excuse any spelling or grammar errors :)

johnwillomagic

Makes sense as I said a lot earlier in post - these two both had enough games now to be learning and pushing on.
Stokes is ahead of Haynes at the moment but is close enough for Haynes to think if he ups his game he could get in the team.
Quite happy with those two as our Left Back options - focusing what money we have on spine of team more important.

Great_Expectations

Solid signing - he looked generally defensively strong enough for L1, he was keen to push on/overlap and he adds physicality to the side, especially height at set pieces.

Admittedly he had a few weaker games, but with a full pre season, a confidence boost from TM and a chance for him to fully comprehend and appreciate the situation (he went from second choice LB in the conference to starting in L1 in front of 8-10k fans) , I expect to see less of those this season.

It is also worth noting the string of poor players he had in front of him at LB, with Nouble's laziness and JOB's non existent positional skills, it's no wonder he was exposed at times.

Users who are viewing this thread