Coventry City start talks with defender Chris Stokes over new deal (1 Viewer)

LB87ccfc

Left-back expected to sign with Sky Blues on his return from honeymoon later this month

Coventry City have begun contract negotiations with Chris Stokes but the left-back is not expected to sign a new deal with the Sky Blues until later this month.

From the outside it appears to be a formality that the 24-year-old will sign, given that he’s come from non-League Forest Green, but while manager Tony Mowbray is reasonably confident negotiations will be straightforward and that the player will commit himself, he admitted: “That’s not always the case because advisors get involved and have their own ideas about what value their players might be.
“I think his advisors will be getting on with the contract side of things. Steve Waggott has done the initial negotiations and sometimes it’s easier for that to continue with the agent.
"He’s had contact with him in the past and done the deal and I’m happy and hopefully it won’t take too long for that to get to a head.
“But obviously for him to sign we have top wait for him to get back from his honeymoon. There’s no rush and we’ll see how that progresses.”

Keep SW nose out TM.

Thank God Venus can now pick up the recruitment aspect.

fernandopartridge

I'll get it in before anybody else. If we sign Stokes I'm not attending another match as he's shown himself to be a competent League 1 fullback and Mowbray doesn't know what he's doing.

Terry Gibson's perm

Not over excited by this but it is better than nothing.

I would also like Waggott to keep his nose out of things he doesn't have any skill for, he should be doing things like making sure we are selling as many season tickets as possible even if it means them getting on the phone to lapsed customers or people who haven't renewed (they may be doing this already) and sorting out the kit, he bangs on about 60% for ffp but they are doing nothing to help the cause, the shirts should have been there on the day the season tickets were released.

stupot07

I don't get where it says keep SW nose out?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - so please excuse any spelling or grammar errors :)

chiefdave

He was decent enough, preferably as cover, and can't be costing much. Not got a problem with this, especially if TM can improve him further.

skybluetony176

Not sure how I feel about this. I thought he gave a good account of himself last season considering where he came from and the step up he had to make but I can't help but ask myself could we do better?

Like others have said he should make a good squad player but should we be aiming higher? I guess TM has seen something in him that he likes and you've got to trust him.

mrtrench

Not sure how I feel about this. I thought he gave a good account of himself last season considering where he came from and the step up he had to make but I can't help but ask myself could we do better?

Like others have said he should make a good squad player but should we be aiming higher? I guess TM has seen something in him that he likes and you've got to trust him.

Every year since he started playing, Stokes has become 25% better at football. This is expected to continue until he is 31, at which time he will start becoming worse at football at a rate of 35% per year. If Coventry City require players to have 327+ football ability units (FAUs), in which year should we sell? If Crawley Town require a minimum of 354 FAUs, during which transfer window should we expect a bid from them?

Assume no friction or air resistance. David Frost died on 31 Aug 2013.

Esoterica

I'll be interested to see how he plays after a full pre season with us. As a stand alone signing it's nothing to get excited about but if it's just a piece of our team jigsaw and his presumably cheap salary allows additional money to be spent on a 20 goal striker, then it's good business.

PTA

Every year since he started playing, Stokes has become 25% better at football. This is expected to continue until he is 31, at which time he will start becoming worse at football at a rate of 35% per year. If Coventry City require players to have 327+ football ability units (FAUs), in which year should we sell? If Crawley Town require a minimum of 354 FAUs, during which transfer window should we expect a bid from them?

Assume no friction or air resistance. David Frost died on 31 Aug 2013.
Where the hell did you get those stats?

Grendel

johnwillomagic

I personally think we looked a lot better with him at left back providing he does no get too greedy think we should welcome the signing.

Suppose we will have to see think he is better than Haynes as things stand - will we get anybody else in for that role too or are we looking
at Haynes and Stokes for Left Back next year......

Grendel

I personally think we looked a lot better with him at left back providing he does no get too greedy think we should welcome the signing.

Suppose we will have to see think he is better than Haynes as things stand - will we get anybody else in for that role too or are we looking
at Haynes and Stokes for Left Back next year......

Stokes did enough to earn a deal. If we'd stuck with Haynes we'd have probably gone.

He was desperately poor all season.

higgs

Stokes wasn't match fit when he signed for us could be useful when he has a pre season with us under his belt he must have shown mogga that he has the right attitude for the club to offer him a deal

Alan Dugdales Moustache

I am about as useful as a one legged bloke in an arse -kicking competition but I reckon I'm as good as Stokes.

Alan Dugdales Moustache

Stokes did enough to earn a deal. If we'd stuck with Haynes we'd have probably gone.

He was desperately poor all season.

Haynes was a disappointment but a far, far better prospect than Stokes.

wingy

I'll be interested to see how he plays after a full pre season with us. As a stand alone signing it's nothing to get excited about but if it's just a piece of our team jigsaw and his presumably cheap salary allows additional money to be spent on a 20 goal striker, then it's good business.

I share this view

wingy

There could be room here for progression from this guy
What Is he around mid twenties
Didn't he start higher up the pyramid than FGR?
Baker finally made It at our level after Southport Morcomb etc think Keogh had a similar start, not too late for this lad, for this level at least

Alan Dugdales Moustache

So was Andrew Whing.

bleedin' sight better than Stokes....and they had similar hair.
Have you got an issue with orange hair ? Have you ? ..come on ...!

skybluegod

He certainly won't be on that if he signs for us, more like £1-1.5k pw.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - so please excuse any spelling or grammar errors :)

Wasn't Wilson only on 1800 when he left? And he was one of our better players so I'd guess it would be to the bottom of your estimate?

Alan Dugdales Moustache

£9.75 per hour.

stupot07

Wasn't Wilson only on 1800 when he left? And he was one of our better players so I'd guess it would be to the bottom of your estimate?

Don't know what Wilson was on when he left. Stokes might be offered the bottom of my estimate, league one average wage is £1.5k pw, but that will include players like Lawton, finch and higher earners like tudguy, Jackson, etc. there is no way at 24-25 stokes will sign for £400 pw (£20.8k pa) as suggested earlier. You get that as a semi pro on top of your normal job.

Users who are viewing this thread