Coventry City receive more than 50 applications for manager's job (1 Viewer)

Macca

We may not be a big club. But we are bigger than clubs that get into the Prem. If those clubs were down where we are now what would t

heir gates be? If and when we get back up there what would our gates be?

18-20 k

chiefdave

For an up and coming manager this would be a great job if you were confident in your ability. Imagine being the one that does eventually turn it around. We've dropped so low now that the one who does it will be held up alongside Jimmy Hill.

davebart

Agree. Don't get all the "poisoned chalice" stuff.

It is a poisoned chalice because the chances of you achieving success with this board behind you is nil.

Meanwhile you do as you are asked, in SPs case reduce costs and bring through youngsters and you still get the sack.

But that won't stop people applying. Football managers can't expect to stay in the job long anyway and it's a good screw while it lasts.

Astute

It is a poisoned chalice because the chances of you achieving success with this board behind you is nil.

Meanwhile you do as you are asked, in SPs case reduce costs and bring through youngsters and you still get the sack.

But that won't stop people applying. Football managers can't expect to stay in the job long anyway and it's a good screw while it lasts.

And I suppose none of our problems were down to SP not having much of a clue?

skybluebeduff

I've said this 100 times. Things change.
I like my neighbour Dave, but if it turns out tomorrow that he's a peado I will no longer like him.
"Unbelievable Jeff"

It's more in the lines of people saying "who will come" when we've just had over 60 applicants in 24 hours..

But nice excuse I suppose..

Otis

Now the council are out the picture surely Mark Robins should re-apply ofr the position.

dongonzalos

Now the council are out the picture surely Mark Robins should re-apply ofr the position.

He is a shrewd cookie. He saw CCFC was ran badly and the future was bleak his profile would raise at Huddersfield.
He knows the score here if our bad is not as bad as scunny he would come. Whatever would be best for his own profile.

duffer

Mark Robins has over 2.5 years left on his contract.

A fair point, but then I suspect that most football contracts are written on bog roll these days - makes their eventual use more comfortable.

I think I agree with both sides here; the job is both a poisoned chalice given the likely level of support from SISU, and also attractive, particularly if you've been out of work for a while.

If Hockaday manages to keep us up I suspect he'll get the nod. He'll fulfil the two primary SISU criteria:

1) Cheap
2) Uncomplaining

Failing that, I'd like the dream team of Peter Reid & Bobby Gould. What's not to like. :)

Last edited:

torchomatic

Chipfat

Hockaday is in a great position in many ways,, most don't expect a massive upturn in results and most will not blame him if he takes the job and fails..He will say damage already done and would need a full season in control, SW will hope for a result on Saturday make it easier to sell the cheap option to those wanting a different outcome..

beduth

Big Club ??

What i would like to know IS what makes CCFC a big club in some peoples mind .
They have only won major trophy in their history , dont even own their ground ,no manager , no money , average gate of 7, 000, .
Not even the biggest club in the Midlands , 24 places from non - league .

skybluetony176

It wasn't, but thanks for your input.

So out of this list of 50 how many do you think are going to be nobodies and how many are going to be somebodies?

Let's face it. Anyone with genuine credentials will either not consider us or use us as a stepping stone like Robbins did. Talk of Sherwood being the favourite before taking the Villa job are laughable. We'll end up with either a complete rookie with no real track record in management, a nobody or someone using us as a stepping stone to pay the bills until a proper job comes along.

M&B Stand

In that case it's a no lose situation, you do well, you get all the praise and your stock rises as the first manager in a generation to get some success at Coventry City, you do badly, it's the owners fault.

covmark

So out of this list of 50 how many do you think are going to be nobodies and how many are going to be somebodies?

Let's face it. Anyone with genuine credentials will either not consider us or use us as a stepping stone like Robbins did. Talk of Sherwood being the favourite before taking the Villa job are laughable. We'll end up with either a complete rookie with no real track record in management, a nobody or someone using us as a stepping stone to pay the bills until a proper job comes along.
Don't see the problem with someone using us as a stepping stone. It would mean we're doing well and not scratching around at the bottom of div 3. Plus it would give you another reason to moan about our owners. It's a win win surely?

duffer

I'm not quite sure how you're defining somebodies and nobodies here. We probably won't get Mourinho applying, or Sir Alex coming out of retirement - but other than that I'm sure it's a reasonably tempting job, particularly for anyone looking for a way back into football. There are a few decent names who fulfil that criteria.

And of course it's a stepping stone for someone, when have we (even in the Premiership) ever been anything else for either managers or players? It's the nature of being a relatively small club compared to the upper echelons of the top division; if that makes you bitter, perhaps you're following the wrong team?

hill83

A fair few will be useless no doubt. Doesn't change the moving of the goalposts by you from "Nobody will want to come here" to "meant nobodies lol"

jimmyhillsfanclub

Give me a rookie or a "nobody" any day of the week compared to all the "names" off the merry-go-round who are currently unemployed......they are unemployed for a reason......they're shit.

torchomatic

hill83

I haven't moved jack. You must have mistaken me for someone else.

You are going to have to explain your reasoning for the "apparently there will be 30 applicants overnight, care to name them?" rants of months gone by then please.

torchomatic

That's been the case for 25 years...Butcher, Neal, Strachan, etc etc.

We'll end up with either a complete rookie with no real track record in management, a nobody or someone using us as a stepping stone to pay the bills until a proper job comes along.

rupert_bear

Don't worry Waggott will be very wary of who he appoints and it will be him. Even if we could afford or prepared to pay competitive wages he will not be giving the job to an old pro, such as a Roy Keene, Dave Jones, Joe Royal, Billy Davis, Glen Hoddle etc, just examples not saying I want any of them, as they would soon be vocal on his running of the club, or the named new brigade looking for an in, such as a Gary Neville, who has just completed his coaching badges, so it will be a rookie or virtual unknown as Steve Pressley was. An unemployed Hockaday on a twelve month contract is unlikely to be rocking the boat or someone from Div. 2 While Waggott is pulling the strings it will be appoint and hope, might come off but unlikely.

davebart

In that case it's a no lose situation, you do well, you get all the praise and your stock rises as the first manager in a generation to get some success at Coventry City, you do badly, it's the owners fault.

Given the appalling judgement of most boards of directors I think you are right. They regularly appoint people who have appalling track records, presumably on the sole basis that their stock has risen (in their eyes) merely because they were previously employed by someone else.

eg Megson.

rupert_bear

and Jimmy Hill
Absolutely bang on ! And it took him 6 months to get the act together. Of course the big difference was the financial support he got from Derrick Robins AND he also proved to be good football manager who could get the best out of players, so a rookie doesn't bother me, but a rookie with little or no support from those appointing him does.

Kingokings204

Tony Mowbray is the new favourite

Seemed to have forgot about him. I bloody hope it isn't him. Failed everywhere he has been

rightumpty

This was obvious to me. Skme posters were like who would take this job? Here is your answer. 50 people within a day. Always going to be the case for me. Coventry city are a big club and for the lower leagues we will always attact attention.

Out of the 50 plus it's the boards job to get it right from the time wasters but the man we all want is at scunthorpe.
Who exactly are the board. Used to be 8 or 9 of them. Nowadays I think there's only Faggot and Wisher.

covcity4life

Tony Mowbray is the new favourite

Seemed to have forgot about him. I bloody hope it isn't him. Failed everywhere he has been

except WBA?

we dont need a manager who we will build a statue of next to jimmy hill. our first objective is promotion to championship. if we need to change managers to make prem so be it. if we have to change manager to ensure surivival so be it.

small steps first.

Users who are viewing this thread