Match Thread Coventry City - Norwich City Match Thread - Saturday 7th Oct (2 Viewers)

TomRad85

I like him, been pleasantly surprised by some of his attributes, he's a great player to have on the bench but he's not a starter for me unless we're in the middle of an injury crisis.

With everyone fit I'd imagine the middle 3 would be Eccles, Sheaf and COH.

That leaves Kelly, Ayari, Allen and Palmer on the bench, they're strong options in my opinion.
It's a much stronger squad, still missing a certain something in the centre mid though. Good thing is we actually have a decent January war chest for once. No more Sean Maguires.

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk

covcity4life

It's a much stronger squad, still missing a certain something in the centre mid though. Good thing is we actually have a decent January war chest for once. No more Sean Maguires.

Prob have 7m odd to spend still of the transfer income from gyok and hamer sales I reckon

Grendel

the strikers have to perform or we will not get enough goals. The jury is very much out on them

TomRad85

Prob have 7m odd to spend still of the transfer income from gyok and hamer sales I reckon
I think probably upwards of 10 still but I wouldn't expect us to spunk all that in January at all. Thinking maybe we've identified a midfielder we'd like in the 2-4 million bracket.

clint van damme

We have a strong squad. All that's missing is an out and out hamer replacement marquee signing for centre mid.

Recruitment looks good so far to me. It's only October so lots of improvement to come over course of season yet too.

I said a couple of times I thought Ayari should have gone to L1 for a season, after watching him yesterday I think I was being unfair.

I think one day he'll reach Hamer levels, but it won't be with us.

Brighton Sky Blue

I think probably upwards of 10 still but I wouldn't expect us to spunk all that in January at all. Thinking maybe we've identified a midfielder we'd like in the 2-4 million bracket.

Nothing preventing us agreeing such a deal before January so it goes through when the window opens.

TomRad85

the strikers have to perform or we will not get enough goals. The jury is very much out on them
As I've said before, that's part of Robins' job. Good money has been spent and the pressure will be on to get the best from them. The squad still has much more quality on the whole though, when everyone is fit. As you'd expect from a £20 million spending spree tbf.

procdoc

This is how I saw it yesterday.
First half, we weren’t particularly great. A lot of people have accused Simms and Wright of being poor but in reality they had no service. They both made some intelligent runs but the ball never found them quickly enough. The notion that they’re ‘lazy’ is ridiculous. The formation we play is not a pressing formation. They are clearly instructed not to pointlessly press as there is far too much space behind them. Doing so would badly expose us.
When Allen plays deep we nullify his main attributes. On a few occasions he tried to switch play and put the ball out of play. It’s not his game sadly and he is an asset as an attacking midfielder.
Ayari had a quiet first half but I thought he was excellent second half. He has the ability to glide past players and get shots away. I think he will be a tremendous player.
Sakamoto was excellent all game, he didn’t stop running and his touch is exquisite. If he can add more end product to his game he will be some player for us.
Finally, MVE changed the game. He lifted the crowd and got us going. What a player he is.
Overall there were many encouraging signs we are developing into a very good team

clint van damme

First half, we weren’t particularly great. A lot of people have accused Simms and Wright of being poor but in reality they had no service. They both made some intelligent runs but the ball never found them quickly enough. The notion that they’re ‘lazy’ is ridiculous. The formation we play is not a pressing formation. They are clearly instructed not to pointlessly press as there is far too much space behind them. Doing so would badly expose us.
When Allen plays deep we nullify his main attributes. On a few occasions he tried to switch play and put the ball out of play. It’s not his game sadly and he is an asset as an attacking midfielder.
Ayari had a quiet first half but I thought he was excellent second half. He has the ability to glide past players and get shots away. I think he will be a tremendous player.
Sakamoto was excellent all game, he didn’t stop running and his touch is exquisite. If he can add more end product to his game he will be some player for us.
Finally, MVE changed the game. He lifted the crowd and got us going. What a player he is.
Overall there were many encouraging signs we are developing into a very good team

Don't disagree with any of that. My only point is if the strikers aren't getting much service, play the man who's most effective at feeding off scraps.

Levship20

100% agree… desperate for a midfielder who can use the ball intelligently and feed the strikers.

SkyblueTexan

And play who next to Sheaf? Ayari?
I think Lati played well in midfield when he came on. I really like his versatility. With so many defenders on the books we could play Lati in midfield next to Sheaf.

Wilson
Kitching Fadz Binks
MVE Sheaf Lati JDS
COH/Allen Saka/Ayari
Godden

Just think we might be able to experiment with the above lineup. I’m still not convinced 2 up top is the way to go.

Grendel

Don't disagree with any of that. My only point is if the strikers aren't getting much service, play the man who's most effective at feeding off scraps.

The forwards - especially Wright - need to move more and create space - they are big powerful forwards but look powder puff

covcity4life

I said a couple of times I thought Ayari should have gone to L1 for a season, after watching him yesterday I think I was being unfair.

I think people jumping the gun saying it was a panic signing

Prob same people saying robins doesn't rate sakamoto

SBAndy

Few thoughts on the last couple of pages:

1. I don’t think the Simms and Wright combination was as disastrous as is being made out. Given time I think there could be something there, but we don’t really have the time to give them the opportunity and Godden needs to come back in.

2. On a similar note, I think we’ve dropped a bit of a bollock bringing in 2 strikers for big money. The natural expectation from that is they’ll play together, but we looked far more effective last season with the box midfield. It also gives us a lot more defensive protection. Godden is standing out as the best we have at the moment but can’t really play up top on his own and, if I’m frank, I’m not convinced any could fulfil that role.

3. Ayari looks…ok. I’m sure he’ll go onto great things but, if I’m honest, with the money at our disposal I’m a little disappointed we went for a loan player we have to work really hard with to develop. Would have preferred someone with a bit more experience.

stupot07

1. I don’t think the Simms and Wright combination was as disastrous as is being made out. Given time I think there could be something there, but we don’t really have the time to give them the opportunity and Godden needs to come back in.

2. On a similar note, I think we’ve dropped a bit of a bollock bringing in 2 strikers for big money. The natural expectation from that is they’ll play together, but we looked far more effective last season with the box midfield. It also gives us a lot more defensive protection. Godden is standing out as the best we have at the moment but can’t really play up top on his own and, if I’m frank, I’m not convinced any could fulfil that role.

3. Ayari looks…ok. I’m sure he’ll go onto great things but, if I’m honest, with the money at our disposal I’m a little disappointed we went for a loan player we have to work really hard with to develop. Would have preferred someone with a bit more experience.

Completely agree. I'd add it's far to early to say that Simms and Wright can't play together. They had played just 25 minutes together this season before yesterday, it will take time to click. But like you say, Godden should come back in.

I agree too that the box is our best formation, seems strange to spend £14m on strikers when we usually only play one up top.

And I agree too about Ayari, and I would also add even though he's a long he's not even a Hamer replacement. Looks more of a number 10 than a box to box player or even a play maker, which Hamed was for us. So we've replaced a round hole with a square peg regardless of being an loanee or permanent signing.

Sent from my Pixel 7 using Tapatalk

Sick Boy

I’d imagine we tried to strengthen the midfield but ended up being quoted hugely inflated fees as clubs knew we were desperate and had received a decent fee.

TomRad85

Interesting that robins was impressed with wright ayari and Simms pressing yesterday. He said it stopped Norwich coming at them constantly

Yet forum members believe they are lazy and won't start again or boys in a man's league etc.
Tbf you're right on this one, if we are to take the managers word they were simply doing exactly what was asked of them. Robins doesn't tend to praise players for the sake of it.

stupot07

Interesting that robins was impressed with wright ayari and Simms pressing yesterday. He said it stopped Norwich coming at them constantly

Yet forum members believe they are lazy and won't start again or boys in a man's league etc.
That's because they didn't fly around trying to press high too much despite what the crowd wanted, they blocked the passing lines out for Norwich.

People were giving them dogs abuse behind me saying they were lazy but it was quite clear it was a tactical decision to sit in and let them have the ball between their keeper and their centre halves and not over commit and leave gaps to expose the midfield.

slowpoke

In fairness a Simms/Wright partnership needs more than just one game to see if it will work and needs a chance with our best players especially midfield supplying them. Having said that we were much better and dangerous up front yesterday when Godden came on.
But we need a better goal threat, I thought until we brought MvE, Godden & Lati on the Norwich defence coped pretty easily.

Sick Boy

That's because they didn't fly around trying to press high too much despite what the crowd wanted, they blocked the passing lines out for Norwich.

People were giving them dogs abuse behind me saying they were lazy but it was quite clear it was a tactical decision to sit in and let them have the ball between their keeper and their centre halves and not over commit and leave gaps to expose the midfield.

Our fans have never been great at judging strikers, the Morrell vs ‘lazy’ John being a prime example.

covcity4life

Tbf you're right on this one, if we are to take the managers word they were simply doing exactly what was asked of them. Robins doesn't tend to praise players for the sake of it.

But people on here reckon they know what robins wants better than the players do.

fernandopartridge

The two strikers I believe were told not to press yesterday as Norwich had a midfielder that dropped deep who would allow them to be easily passed around

shmmeee

It wasn’t just the obvious press. There were times where a ball needed to be chased down and Wright could have easily got to it but didn’t even break into a jog.

SBAndy

I’d imagine we tried to strengthen the midfield but ended up being quoted hugely inflated fees as clubs knew we were desperate and had received a decent fee.

Oh absolutely. I don’t expect for a second that we didn’t look at anyone else. But I just have a thought that your loan players should be dropped in as some of the best in the squad from day 1. This seems to be more of a Norton-Cuffy/Wilson-Esbrand type loan where we’re scraping around for something that’ll just do. Difficult to articulate, but I expected someone more in the mould (profile-wise) of Scott Twine, Allan Campbell, Charlie Patino. Someone with experience of the league.

Genuinely hope (and half-expect) that come Christmas Ayari is making me eat my words.

Ccfcisparks

Asking for a "press" has become an easy word to throw around. Like Fernando said, had they gone pressing like 2 puppies chasing after a ball, the midfielder dropping deep for Norwich could have easily collected and caught them out of position.

fatso

He is improving though, could be a valuable asset as we give him more game time when we start to reintroduce O'hare. We could give them a half each without having to change the system too much.

Users who are viewing this thread