Match Thread Coventry City - Norwich City Match Thread - Saturday 7th Oct (1 Viewer)

Matt smith

Wilson
Thomas Fads Binks
DaSilva Eccles Lati Bidwell
Allen
Godden Simms

With Kelly injured, we need some experience, so Bidwell comes in for me. Da Silva can play on the right.
Not a bad shout actually

for me we have to keep Jamie in the 8, so this would be a good solution.

sakamoto over ayari though if Allen plays deeper

Matt smith

Not sure about this. There’s one square peg/weak link whatever you do.

Wilson
Thomas Fadz Binks
Saka Lats Eccles Dasilva
Allen
Simms Wright

S: Collins, Kitching, Bidwell, Ayari, Godden, selection of children
Hope Milan and sheaf will be on the bench Saturday

JSL

We are one win away from 5th. Lets not blow it before the international break

ProfessorbyGrace

With another contingency in midfield, this may prove a tricky one; all I see realistically, is Lati switching to DMF and Tatsu filling in at RWB. Mainly so that Allen can remain AMF, and do what he does best, and still have a defensive minded DMF (that can play there) and not be a liability.

Stick with Simms and Godden, but if they’re still not linking terribly well (even with Allen behind them), then give Haji half an hour to cause some havoc with his erratic C-3P0-ness.

Could be an another smash and grab if we line up properly, as I feel that Allen is most certainly making the difference.

If Allen is playing deep, and with Ayari in AMF, I don’t know if we’ll get away with that against Norwich.

PUSB. ⚽️

Matt smith

With another contingency in midfield, this may prove a tricky one; all I see realistically, is Lati switching to DMF and Tatsu filling in at RWB. Mainly so that Allen can remain AMF, and do what he does best, and still have a defensive minded DMF (that can play there) and not be a liability.

Stick with Simms and Godden, but if they’re still not linking terribly well (even with Allen behind them), then give Haji half an hour to cause some havoc with his erratic C-3P0-ness.

Could be an another smash and grab if we line up properly, as I feel that Allen is most certainly making the difference.

If Allen is playing deep, and with Ayari in AMF, I don’t know if we’ll get away with that against Norwich.

PUSB. ⚽️
We have to find a line up that enables Allen to play higher

long way home

Robins isn't going to change shape so Saka comes in, Lats goes to DCM and Allen pushes on with Rus back on the bench. Other than that Ayari starts with Eccles abd Allen.

Robins will not panic just look to take the game as another step towards getting this group learning more about each other. He will hope for 3 pts but will be happier if that cones with no new injuries. Nobody will be rushed back in and its shut up and make do until he has bodies back.

We are still tough to beat and still although not fluid create enough to win games if we keep it tight at the back. Just another game and another step to learning more. But 5 loses in 30 odd games with lots of injuries says Robins knows how and what it takes to not get beat in this league. And that is key when you are not at your best or strongest if you cant win don't lose.

ProfessorbyGrace

We have to find a line up that enables Allen to play higher
This is what I alluded to, by switching Lati to DMF and Tatsu to RWB. Not ideal, but Lati is solid enough, and with Tatsu bombing down the wing + Allen creating space and linking the midfield/attack, it could (in theory) work.

Robinshio

We are one win away from 5th. Lets not blow it before the international break
its a long season 36 games left to get something like 60 points
so every 9 games we need 4 wins and 3 draws - take a draw saturday and then kick on after the break

pusbccfc

We're edging closer to having open new blocks...

BlueSkiesForever

Can't imagine we would drop Godden. SImms and Wright are nowhere near his work ethic. And with numbers short in midfield, we rely on him dropping back and helping out defensively.

I definitely agree Godden puts in a shift, however I think a lot of it is in vain, he chases the ball around but it’s not a press that’s supported by other team mates so the opposition can just pass the ball around the back easily.

I feel that whilst Godden looks like he’s going a lot (and no disrespect, he’s clearly putting his all in) it’s actually not gaining us anything. Next game I’d like to see Wright and Simms at least have 15-20 mins together, gives Godden a deserved rest and allows Wright/Simms to try and build up a partnership.

Cov98

I can’t see Robins doing it but I’d love to see Lati alongside Eccles so we can keep Allen up the pitch. Without Allen’s pressing and work rate up the pitch we have nothing and just invite pressure.

I’d have Saka as RWB and then Lati alongside Eccles but other than that unchanged from Blackburn.

Sky Blue Harry H

I can’t see Robins doing it but I’d love to see Lati alongside Eccles so we can keep Allen up the pitch. Without Allen’s pressing and work rate up the pitch we have nothing and just invite pressure.

I’d have Saka as RWB and then Lati alongside Eccles but other than that unchanged from Blackburn.

You just read my in match post against Blackburn (copy cat ;) )

Londonccfcfan

Wilson

Thomas Fadz Binks

Lati Eccles Allen Da Silva

Ayari

Godden Simms

Think we are edging closer to seeing Kitching getting more minutes but maybe not starting yet.

Midfield looks weak but we have little choice

MR wont drop Godden and although i would have for Blackburn game, he did well so i think deserves his start again
All day Godden and Simms start.

skybluecam

I definitely agree Godden puts in a shift, however I think a lot of it is in vain, he chases the ball around but it’s not a press that’s supported by other team mates so the opposition can just pass the ball around the back easily.
Bingo

Godden's "pressing" is mostly running to within 5 yards of a player who then passes it on to an unmarked teammate. Might get a clap from the gammons but it isn't actually benefitting us on the pitch.

Covcraig@bury

Can’t make this game , well pissed off .
after the Blackburn game and our injury list getting bigger I think we will struggle ( hope I wrong ). 3-1 win 🫣🙏

BlueSkiesForever

Godden's "pressing" is mostly running to within 5 yards of a player who then passes it on to an unmarked teammate. Might get a clap from the gammons but it isn't actually benefitting us on the pitch.

Exactly, it looks good and he’s clearly trying hard for the team but a one man press is pretty pointless. I just think it’s about time we start Simms and Wright together, yes they haven’t got the goals Godden has but their confidence will be up and I think two quick, tall, strong strikers might give Norwich something to think about.

clint van damme

Bingo

That's exactly what pressing is, it's often a fruitless task.
But he's doing exactly what Robins wants him to do.

BlueSkiesForever

I completely get that and I realise he’s only doing what Robins is asking of him but I don’t think pressing should be fruitless, if we did it as a team then fair enough but I don’t feel like we play that way. We sort of get close to the ball but never press in 2’s or 3’s, it’s a half-press, in which case we might as well not press at all.
Godden running around chasing the ball doesn’t add anything to our game, it just tires him out quicker. I’m not saying we shouldn’t press but if we do press then we should press as a team, not just Godden on his own. If we want to play that way then clearly Godden should keep his place as he’s good at pressing but if we don’t want to press then I feel Wright and Simms should start. I feel like it’s quite a mixed bag of pressing and not-pressing atm.

skybluecam

It really isn't.

Intelligent pressing gains you an advantage through winning the ball or forcing an opponent into a disadvantageous pass (going long or playing to a teammate under pressure). When the opposition can play to another player in space and reset the press we don't gain anything.

Godden presses more than the others do sure but I don't personally think it's that effective.

clint van damme

I completely get that and I realise he’s only doing what Robins is asking of him but I don’t think pressing should be fruitless, if we did it as a team then fair enough but I don’t feel like we play that way. We sort of get close to the ball but never press in 2’s or 3’s, it’s a half-press, in which case we might as well not press at all.
Godden running around chasing the ball doesn’t add anything to our game, it just tires him out quicker. I’m not saying we shouldn’t press but if we do press then we should press as a team, not just Godden on his own. If we want to play that way then clearly Godden should keep his place as he’s good at pressing but if we don’t want to press then I feel Wright and Simms should start.

It will be a different story when everyone's fit, especially O'Hare but for now the burden is with the strikers.
It needs to be done, you can't let the opposition just have possesion but we can't press higher up the pitch in packs with the players we currently have available.

clint van damme

It really isn't.

Intelligent pressing gains you an advantage through winning the ball or forcing an opponent into a disadvantageous pass (going long or playing to a teammate under pressure). When the opposition can play to another player in space and reset the press we don't gain anything.

Godden presses more than the others do sure but I don't personally think it's that effective.

As I've just said in another post, we currently don't have the players to press in packs, last year and the year before we were doing it with Callum, Godden, Vik, Hamer etc ,it was very effective.

We currently don't have the players to affect that sort of press so it's down to the strikers.

BlueSkiesForever

It will be a different story when everyone's fit, especially O'Hare but for now the burden is with the strikers.
It needs to be done, you can't let the opposition just have possesion but we can't press higher up the pitch in packs with the players we currently have available.

That’s fair but then I think we need to accept we don’t press and we’re happy letting the opposition have possession and instead look to counter more often, which tbh I think plays to Simms’ and Wright’s strengths. Let them two be on the shoulder of their defenders and allow Allen or Ayari to pick a through ball out for them.

I feel atm our strikers play in this no-man’s land in front of the defenders, neither allowing them to run onto a ball or pass it off to someone. We’re grinding out results (and big kudos to the team for doing that) but I don’t feel we play with a firm, threatening game plan. There’s not much back up from midfield and there’s also very little runs into the box being made because we’re always a yard off their defenders.

We need to decide if we’re committed to a team press or if we’re not. This half-press just doesn’t give us any tactical advantage.

clint van damme

That’s fair but then I think we need to accept we don’t press and we’re happy letting the opposition have possession and instead look to counter more often, which tbh I think plays to Simms’ and Wright’s strengths. Let them two be on the shoulder of their defenders and allow Allen or Ayari to pick a through ball out for them.
I feel atm our strikers play in this no-man’s land in front of the defenders, neither allowing them to run onto a ball or pass it off to someone. We’re grinding out results (and big kudos to the team for doing that) but I don’t feel we play with a firm, threatening game plan. There’s not much back up from midfield and there’s also very little runs into the box being made because we’re always a yard off their defenders.

We should let the opposition have unopposed possesion? That's never going to happen thankfully.

BlueSkiesForever

We should let the opposition have unopposed possesion? That's never going to happen thankfully.

But it basically is atm, as we saw in that Blackburn game. Godden presses, then they pass the ball to an unmarked player. Godden runs to that player, then they pass the ball to another unmarked player, etc etc.

It’s not about letting them have the ball for the entire game, when they come into our midfield we look to win it back and then try to find one of our strikers who is then in position and ready to run onto a through ball. Currently we’re never in position to receive that counter attack through ball because we’re chasing some random defender around the pitch. A one-man Godden press just doesn’t do anything. A team press, fair enough, but not one bloke on his own. Again I’m not saying drop Godden forever, I’m just saying we should decide whether we’re pressing as a team or looking to have our strikers ready to counter, on the shoulder of the defender, not in front of the defender chasing the ball back into our own half.

clint van damme

But it basically is atm, as we saw in that Blackburn game. Godden presses, then they pass the ball to an unmarked player. Godden runs to that player, then they pass the ball to another unmarked player, etc etc.

It’s not about letting them have the ball for the entire game, when they come into our midfield we look to win it back and then try to find one of our strikers who is then in position and ready to run onto a through ball. Currently we’re never in position to receive that counter attack through ball because we’re chasing some random defender around the pitch. A one-man Godden press just doesn’t do anything.

That's exactly what happens when you press with a lone striker or even a pair, clubs drill strikers to do it.
Vik did it all last season and still managed to counter attack effectively, the difference been we had a midfielder capable of playing the sort of ball you're describing.

Evo1883

Bingo

So you think Mark robins is not asking godden to press the back line and keeper as its pointless , he's doing it in vain to please the gammons

Warra logic

Evo1883

It really isn't.

"Intelligent pressing "

Trying Not To Laugh Season 3 GIF by The Office

Users who are viewing this thread