Match Thread Coventry City - Norwich City Match Thread - Saturday 7th Oct (1 Viewer)

Martin180

Intelligent pressing after all lol
Yank Big Fish GIF by SA Company

SBAndy

Asking for a "press" has become an easy word to throw around. Like Fernando said, had they gone pressing like 2 puppies chasing after a ball, the midfielder dropping deep for Norwich could have easily collected and caught them out of position.

We had a fair amount of joy first half winning the ball back in the final third. I’ll admit at half time I wanted to see Godden on as his pressing intensity could possibly offer even more opportunities. What was telling was when Godden came on we basically did the same - that’s when I figured it was tactical.

Unfortunately fans have a fairly simplistic view. Most haven’t played above park football so just assume you press like mad at all times and if you’re not running full pelt at a defender you’re a waste of time.

I did notice that our press in their defensive third pretty much exclusively directed them to the right. Got caught out a couple of times early on by a switch but I’m assuming we wanted to avoid having too many attacks at our right side whilst Sakamoto was there.

Ccfcisparks

We had a fair amount of joy first half winning the ball back in the final third. I’ll admit at half time I wanted to see Godden on as his pressing intensity could possibly offer even more opportunities. What was telling was when Godden came on we basically did the same - that’s when I figured it was tactical.

Unfortunately fans have a fairly simplistic view. Most haven’t played above park football so just assume you press like mad at all times and if you’re not running full pelt at a defender you’re a waste of time.

I did notice that our press in their defensive third pretty much exclusively directed them to the right. Got caught out a couple of times early on by a switch but I’m assuming we wanted to avoid having too many attacks at our right side whilst Sakamoto was there.
We actually play our best football sitting deep and countering. We have done for many years now.

pusbccfc

The two strikers I believe were told not to press yesterday as Norwich had a midfielder that dropped deep who would allow them to be easily passed around

Sent from my Pixel 7 using Tapatalk

Absolutely, but that doesn't explain why Wright was walking around when the entire team were bursting a gut to keep the lead on Wednesday. We were pumping it long and he wasn't really making an effort to get on to the clearances. I suppose we got used to Gyökeres chasing everything for 90 minutes.

A better player in an attacking team, I'd imagine.

SBAndy

We actually play our best football sitting deep and countering. We have done for many years now.

Agreed but all of a sudden we don’t have the dynamism in the middle. Basically stifles the play.

It’s just made me think, though, obviously Collins is more of a ‘sweeper keeper’ from what I saw in pre season but that’s really not compatible with Fadz at CB. Equally, none of our centre backs are particularly blessed with pace. Bit of an odd one.

shmmeee

Yes the years when we had 9 shit players and two world class ones: one who could score from anything any one who could win games single handed from DM. We don’t have that luxury any more. Play like we did the last three seasons and we’ll draw or lose most games without scoring.

slowpoke

Yes the years when we had 9 shit players and two world class ones: one who could score from anything any one who could win games single handed from DM. We don’t have that luxury any more. Play like we did the last three seasons and we’ll draw or lose most games without scoring.
🤡

fernandopartridge

Eh?

shmmeee

Eh?

Gus and Vik were the reason we could play the football we did. If we hadn’t had them the last three years we’d have done much worse or played differently. We not longer have the luxury of holding on and assuming one of them will win us the game.

fernandopartridge

Gus and Vik were the reason we could play the football we did. If we hadn’t had them the last three years we’d have done much worse or played differently. We not longer have the luxury of holding on and assuming one of them will win us the game.
That's not how we played last season or the one before, we generally take the game to anybody we have played. They happen to have won games for us but not out of any tactical plan that involved them being the match winner for us.

shmmeee

That's not how we played last season or the one before, we generally take the game to anybody we have played. They happen to have won games for us but not out of any tactical plan that involved them being the match winner for us.

There were long periods where our main game plan was stick 9 behind the ball and whack it up to Vik. Slightly less when O’Hare was about. First season was the defending and long ball that got us out of jail but we hardly set the league alight.

I’d argue this season is the first we’re going to try the sort of football that got us promoted.

Matt smith

There were long periods where our main game plan was stick 9 behind the ball and whack it up to Vik. Slightly less when O’Hare was about. First season was the defending and long ball that got us out of jail but we hardly set the league alight.

I’d argue this season is the first we’re going to try the sort of football that got us promoted.
Disagree, thought the first half of our second season in the championship we played superb football

do agree we were very very much counter attacking for the majority of last year

shmmeee

Disagree, thought the first half of our second season in the championship we played superb football

do agree we were very very much counter attacking for the majority of last year

We played great counter attacking football, thanks to Gus Vik and O’Hare, but in games where we had the bulk of possession we often looked clueless. It’s why when we signed Palmer people thought we might finally have a player who can unlock a defence.

Matt smith

We played great counter attacking football, thanks to Gus Vik and O’Hare, but in games where we had the bulk of possession we often looked clueless. It’s why when we signed Palmer people thought we might finally have a player who can unlock a defence.
I remember games against Peterborough and Fulham as 2 examples where I thought we played really good stuff

End of last year was 9 men behind the ball vik and Gus go win us the game, nothing wrong with that clearly worked very well

fernandopartridge

I don't recall one game

fernandopartridge

I remember games against Peterborough and Fulham as 2 examples where I thought we played really good stuff

End of last year was 9 men behind the ball vik and Gus go win us the game, nothing wrong with that clearly worked very well
It wasn't 9 behind the ball, just utter horse shit.

Brighton Sky Blue

I would think MR agrees with you based on what he's tried to implement.

Users who are viewing this thread