Match Thread Coventry City - Newport County Match Thread - Saturday 19th Aug (1 Viewer)

Warwickhunt

I think 2-1 them :(
i know where you are coming from Nick! just waiting for the kick in the balls, after all its coventry city innit!

The Reverend Skyblue

Motherwell for the game only. My lad is a STH with them. Then into Glasgow for the night. At least it is in another country and I can't understand a word they say when they are pissed. Amazed they can even understand each other. So it will be like we have gone abroad for it :smuggrin:

Will be listening to our game and watching theirs. Could be fun if we score and Motherwell have a goal against them at the same time :woot:

So who is your nearest side?
Astute a stag do in Glasgow, I would make sure your life insurance is up to date.
Good luck

Grendel

Astute

Astute a stag do in Glasgow, I would make sure your life insurance is up to date.
Good luck
It isn't too bad. All I have ever done is keep away from talking about religion and sport. Don't look like you are shitting yourself or be cocky...although I enjoy beating them all at pool for beer. Most of them are OK. You get idiots wherever you go.

The last time it kicked off the police were called. As soon as they heard our English accents they came at us. Nearly all of them had their numbers covered. It can be a right fun night :smuggrin:

David O'Day

Their form at the end of last season was also tremendous. One gets the feeling that DOD would say the same of any team in this league. I'm delighted with our start, and our squad is much stronger than last year's. I think we will win on Saturday and gain automatic promotion, but I agree with posters on here that are cautious. It's a long season, with tough games, and some respect for our opponents would not be misplaced.
Would I fuck fella, so pipe down

skybluegod

Well, yup, true. McDonald has looked really good though and so too Doyle and Kelly and O'Brien. We know Stokes is solid and Jones seems to have finally flourished thus far.

It's only two games in, but as long as those players keep playing like that we have a really good chance of an excellent season and from what I can see, Kelly, Doyle and McDonald seem the exact sort of players where you do get that same level of consistency week in week out. Robins seemingly has gone for that type of player, the one that doesn't blow hot and cold, but puts in consistent shifts each game.

And I do agree to an extent, I agree in that Doyle and Kelly are improvements on last years midfield, and Rod looks solid as well. In regards to jones he didn't do it at all last season so let's not get carried away, Vincenti wasn't really used last season and I'm not sure about how good he would be in league one, but as you say this team probably would survive in league one, but I still think it lacks an out and out goal scorer, and I still want to wait until we are 10 games in before jumping on the 'we're gonna trash the league bandwagon'

skybluegod

The bookies have placed us as 3rd favourites for a reason. Our manager has stated the aim is promotion. Most of our signings have been promoted from L2, we've seemingly got recruitment right this season and have so many options at the moment. So I wouldn't say we're an 'unknown quantity', the quality and experience is there for all to see.

The performances have reinforced this optimism. I do agree with you that is 'only two games' - Pompey lost their first 2 last season - but I think we've got all the pieces to do very well in this league.

We were top of the league after 2 league games 2 season ago and look how that turned out?
We are an unknown quantity, just because the players have been promoted as individuals it doesn't mean they will all gel! I do think they will gel and I do hope we get promotion.
But both Notts county and Grimsby looked really poor to me. If that is the standard of the whole division then yes I think we will be promoted, but I personally have not watched more than about 3 league 2 games in last couple years, and I have no idea what the standard of the other teams are in comparison to ours. On paper sure we are good, but on paper and in reality is totally different.

Remind me of the odds that Leicester were to win the title?

Otis

We were top of the league after 2 league games 2 season ago and look how that turned out?
We are an unknown quantity, just because the players have been promoted as individuals it doesn't mean they will all gel! I do think they will gel and I do hope we get promotion.
But both Notts county and Grimsby looked really poor to me. If that is the standard of the whole division then yes I think we will be promoted, but I personally have not watched more than about 3 league 2 games in last couple years, and I have no idea what the standard of the other teams are in comparison to ours. On paper sure we are good, but on paper and in reality is totally different.

Bookies are quite often right though.

Last season.

Championship: They predicted Newcastle, Fulham, Brighton and Sheff Weds for the top 6 and also predicted Rotherham and Blackburn for relegation, also predicting, Burton, who finished just one place above.

League One: They predicted Bradford, Sheff Utd., Millwall and Bolton for top 6 and Chesterfield and Port Vale to go down.

League 2: Portsmouth, Plymouth, Doncaster, Blackpool, Carlisle and Luton for top 7 (so 6 out of 7) and Newport and Hartlepool to go down, Newport ended up just above Hartlepool.

skybluegod

Bookies are quite often right though.

Last season.

Championship: They predicted Newcastle, Fulham, Brighton and Sheff Weds for the top 6 and also predicted Rotherham and Blackburn for relegation, also predicting, Burton, who finished just one place above.

League One: They predicted Bradford, Sheff Utd., Millwall and Bolton for top 6 and Chesterfield and Port Vale to go down.

League 2: Portsmouth, Plymouth, Doncaster, Blackpool, Carlisle and Luton for top 7 (so 6 out of 7) and Newport and Hartlepool to go down, Newport ended up just above Hartlepool.

I would argue that a lot of the time they do tip relegated teams to bounce straight back up? And the so called bigger clubs always get backed to be up there, E.g Portsmouth and Sheffield united have been one of the bookies favourites for years but have both only just gained promotion.
I'm not saying the bookies are always wrong, but I am just saying, imo we are still an unknown quantity, and bringing in bookie odds isn't exactly a fact to prove otherwise?

Mucca Mad Boys

An unknown quantity implies 'we don't really know what this team is capable of'. The players we have signed have very well known quantities as a significant amount of our squad is proven at L2 - about 5 starters have been promoted - and L1 level. Before, we have at times relied on unknown quantities, such as the Armstrongs and Murphys of the world. We should be right up there.

Notts County and Grimsby are also expected to be in the top half I think. They may have been poor against us, but they did win their other league game convincingly (going off the score lines). However, I won't be reading much into this.

What Leicester achieved, I say this begrudgingly with gritted teeth, was a miracle and once in a generation event. Across the leagues, rank outsiders do not tend to win league titles, at any level. You can't use an exception as the rule...

Otis

I would argue that a lot of the time they do tip relegated teams to bounce straight back up? And the so called bigger clubs always get backed to be up there, E.g Portsmouth and Sheffield united have been one of the bookies favourites for years but have both only just gained promotion.
I'm not saying the bookies are always wrong, but I am just saying, imo we are still an unknown quantity, and bringing in bookie odds isn't exactly a fact to prove otherwise?

They tipped an awful lot of sides last season that proved to be very, very accurate.

They have us down for top 3 this season and that's good enough for me.

Last edited:

skybluegod

An unknown quantity implies 'we don't really know what this team is capable of'. The players we have signed have very well known quantities as a significant amount of our squad is proven at L2 - about 5 starters have been promoted - and L1 level. Before, we have at times relied on unknown quantities, such as the Armstrongs and Murphys of the world. We should be right up there.

Notts County and Grimsby are also expected to be in the top half I think. They may have been poor against us, but they did win their other league game convincingly (going off the score lines). However, I won't be reading much into this.

What Leicester achieved, I say this begrudgingly with gritted teeth, was a miracle and once in a generation event. Across the leagues, rank outsiders do not tend to win league titles, at any level. You can't use an exception as the rule...

You say that, but I could just as easily say, McDonald didn't get a look in last season for Northampton, Kelly wasn't part of a relegated team? McNulty played 15 games last season and scored one goal at league one level. O'Brien played about 2 games for Portsmouth? Grimmer played only 20 odd games in a struggling Shrewsbury team last season... etc etc

Now I think all of those players have shown good signs, and I hope we will get promoted this season, but it is in my opinion an unknown quantity, but we are just going round in circles, so will just leave it at that.

skybluegod

They tipped an awful lot of sides last season that proved to be very, very accurate.

They have us down for top 3 this season and that's good enough for me.
I'm not saying they didn't? I am just saying they aren't always right?
Top 7 would do for me!!

Paxman II

So we had to suffer the indignation of relegation to league 2 (the old 4th division) so we could have positive threads and talk of promotion and winning the league.
It's just too positive....I'll have to go have a lie down :)

Newport

There's a lot of confidence on this thread and people suggesting a drubbing is on the cards come Saturday, personally I don't see it.

A few people have also chirped up to say we're shite - I can assure you we're not, and I have a feeling that there'll be a mass order of humble pie being delivered to Coventry come 5 o'clock Saturday.

Should be a good game - Odds on the away win are generous.

Otis

There's a lot of confidence on this thread and people suggesting a drubbing is on the cards come Saturday, personally I don't see it.

A few people have also chirped up to say we're shite - I can assure you we're not, and I have a feeling that there'll be a mass order of humble pie being delivered to Coventry come 5 o'clock Saturday.

Not many predicting a thumping win to be fair. Think most of us think it's going to be quite close.

ccfchoi87

Tbf mate it's not often you'll see city fans confident. We just disposed of county and Grimsby almost effortlessly. Hopefully that carries on but I expect you'll at least get a couple on target (more than the first 2 managed). You lot ended the season quite well iirc? Will be tough for us if you play 11 men behind the ball as expected

Newport

Like I said on another thread, I don't think you belong in the lower divisions and wish you all the best in getting back up but this league is a funny one.

You can beat the better teams in the league and then lose to the Morecambe's of this world.

We've vastly improved on last season, have been scoring plenty of goals and look good going forward - confidence is high, I just fancy us to get a result Saturday as we usually play well in the bigger games.

Otis

Like I said on another thread, I don't think you belong in the lower divisions and wish you all the best in getting back up but this league is a funny one.

You can beat the better teams in the league and then lose to the Morecambe's of this world.

We've vastly improved on last season, have been scoring plenty of goals and look good going forward - confidence is high, I just fancy us to get a result Saturday as we usually play well in the bigger games.

Luckily for us then that we are tinpot in a shitty old stadium.

Users who are viewing this thread