Match Thread Coventry City - Newport County Match Thread - Saturday 19th Aug (1 Viewer)

Esoterica

Yeah Jones MOTM against Grimsby last week and scored a hattrick against Notts County the week before. Can't believe anyone would call for his omission based on 1 poor performance when thr whole team bar McDonald were poor.

The only changes I would consider making would be Andreu for either Beavon or McNulty and Stevenson in for Kelly.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk
I really didn't like the balance of Stokes/Vincenti Grimmer/Jones yesterday either - was calling for Jones and Vincenti to swap wings after about 10 minutes. Jones was already getting doubled up on and Grimmer was just dragging another defender into Jones' space but then on the other side we're punting long balls to Vincenti and Stokes is 40 yards away in a traditional full back's position. Grimmer could have been collecting Vincenti's knockdowns/flick ons if he was on the right and Jones would have had a bit more space to play with on the left. The swap wasn't used enough yesterday.

Otis

Yeah Jones MOTM against Grimsby last week and scored a hattrick against Notts County the week before. Can't believe anyone would call for his omission based on 1 poor performance when thr whole team bar McDonald were poor.

The only changes I would consider making would be Andreu for either Beavon or McNulty and Stevenson in for Kelly.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk
McNulty and Beavon are playing too far apart and therefore any knock downs Beavon does make aren't going anywhere.

Don't think the McNulty/Beavon combination is quite working, at least for now anyway.

Otis

I really didn't like the balance of Stokes/Vincenti Grimmer/Jones yesterday either - was calling for Jones and Vincenti to swap wings after about 10 minutes. Jones was already getting doubled up on and Grimmer was just dragging another defender into Jones' space but then on the other side we're punting long balls to Vincenti and Stokes is 40 yards away in a traditional full back's position. Grimmer could have been collecting Vincenti's knockdowns/flick ons if he was on the right and Jones would have had a bit more space to play with on the left. The swap wasn't used enough yesterday.
I said the same thing yesterday about the pair swapping wings, but looking at their defence, their defender on the left hand side was a lot, lot taller than Pipe on the right and I just surmised that was the reason Robins didn't switch them over.

smileycov

Facebook User
I think Doyle will be raging after yesterday, him and Kelly will get the desired reaction I'm sure. Rest beavon play Andreu see what he can do

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread