Match Thread Coventry City - Newport County Match Thread - Saturday 19th Aug (1 Viewer)

Cov kid 55

Their form at the end of last season was also tremendous. One gets the feeling that DOD would say the same of any team in this league. I'm delighted with our start, and our squad is much stronger than last year's. I think we will win on Saturday and gain automatic promotion, but I agree with posters on here that are cautious. It's a long season, with tough games, and some respect for our opponents would not be misplaced.

Esoterica

Let's not get carried away. I think it would just survive relegation at the most.
Our shower of shit last year missed out by 11 points. Just 4 wins. This team is far superior in every department and will only get better as a group as the season goes on. We're gonna walk this league and push league 1 with just a couple of quality additions.

Reactions: mds

mds

Reckon this will be us defending well and stopping them from scoring, attacking well and scoring at least 3.
Comfortable again, probably a little more difficult than expected but City by at least 3.
heres hoping.

Astute

They have the smallest budget in L2 and Nouble is their big name signing. Nuff said. 2-0 city.
Last game they were 1 up and their opponents were down to 10 men after 17 minutes against Crewe. And they still didn't win :smuggrin:

Nouble has scored in each game though.

bawtryneal

I have said it for the last two games and will say it again
Focus on keeping a clean sheet.
This team has "goals in them" so a clean sheet means 3 points. We cannot score 3 every week so 1 will be have to be enough some weeks.
For me the best thing so far is goals conceded 0. Keep it up and League 1 here we come.

skybluegod

Our shower of shit last year missed out by 11 points. Just 4 wins. This team is far superior in every department and will only get better as a group as the season goes on. We're gonna walk this league and push league 1 with just a couple of quality additions.

Is this team that good though? It's still an unknown quantity to me? I'm not saying it isn't but, we have played 3 games, cov fans just seem to be getting a bit carried away by two wins.

Mucca Mad Boys

Is this team that good though? It's still an unknown quantity to me? I'm not saying it isn't but, we have played 3 games, cov fans just seem to be getting a bit carried away by two wins.

The bookies have placed us as 3rd favourites for a reason. Our manager has stated the aim is promotion. Most of our signings have been promoted from L2, we've seemingly got recruitment right this season and have so many options at the moment. So I wouldn't say we're an 'unknown quantity', the quality and experience is there for all to see.

The performances have reinforced this optimism. I do agree with you that is 'only two games' - Pompey lost their first 2 last season - but I think we've got all the pieces to do very well in this league.

Esoterica

Well I was being a bit tongue in cheek but that didn't come across very well :woot: I do think we're much better in key areas though. Kelly and Doyle are getting a lot of praise but Vincenti is very important for me. Big tall outlet which gives us the option to go longer when needed without having to change the main game plan. Add to that a commanding GK, a midfield with bite, positive league experience, some pace and team spirit and i genuinely believe this team would stay up comfortably in the league above. And let's hope I'm right - they're all on 2 year contracts!

Otis

Well, yup, true. McDonald has looked really good though and so too Doyle and Kelly and O'Brien. We know Stokes is solid and Jones seems to have finally flourished thus far.

It's only two games in, but as long as those players keep playing like that we have a really good chance of an excellent season and from what I can see, Kelly, Doyle and McDonald seem the exact sort of players where you do get that same level of consistency week in week out. Robins seemingly has gone for that type of player, the one that doesn't blow hot and cold, but puts in consistent shifts each game.

clint van damme

Well I was being a bit tongue in cheek but that didn't come across very well :woot: I do think we're much better in key areas though. Kelly and Doyle are getting a lot of praise but Vincenti is very important for me. Big tall outlet which gives us the option to go longer when needed without having to change the main game plan. Add to that a commanding GK, a midfield with bite, positive league experience, some pace and team spirit and i genuinely believe this team would stay up comfortably in the league above. And let's hope I'm right - they're all on 2 year contracts!

I said on another thread Vincenti is a really important player for us. He's awkward and frustrating but he's a huge part of the game plan.
When him and Jones switch the full backs have to rethink their whole game plan and it's caused real problems for them in both league games.

Otis

I said on another thread Vincenti is a really important player for us. He's awkward and frustrating but he's a huge part of the game plan.
When him and Jones switch the full backs have to rethink their whole game plan and it's caused real problems for them in both league games.

Yep, I agree on Vincenti too. Think he may well prove to be a big player for us this season.

Mucca Mad Boys

Yeh because people like Esoterica are sticking £2.50 on us.
It's league two not the grand national

To a degree, but the bookies are also not stupid, they roughly know what teams are going to be thereabouts for relegation and promotion.

The bookies having us as 3rd favourites wasn't really the crux of my point though...

Esoterica

Yeh because people like Esoterica are sticking £2.50 on us.
It's league two not the grand national
Don't be so disparaging. It was £3. I am genuinely excited by this team though and yes I know it's only 2 games but I don't remember balance and versatility like this in a Cov squad. If we stay injury free i think we'll do really well and things have been so shit for years that I'm not making any attempt to keep my optimism in check!

ovduk78

Off to the game still on Saturday after having to change my plans. But the game I am going to has changed :banghead:

Eldest lad has brought his stag do forward a couple of weeks as his best mate...best man...is leaving the country early through work. So am going to Motherwell v Ross County :oops:

Will.have ifollow on though
A stag do in Motherwell? I have lived up here over 14 years and have never been tempted to go to watch any of the teams although I may go and watch Stirling Albion this week with @BackRoomRummermill. I'm not sure whether I'll be enjoying the game I am at or worrying about how we are doing and constantly checking my phone

Astute

Motherwell for the game only. My lad is a STH with them. Then into Glasgow for the night. At least it is in another country and I can't understand a word they say when they are pissed. Amazed they can even understand each other. So it will be like we have gone abroad for it :smuggrin:

Will be listening to our game and watching theirs. Could be fun if we score and Motherwell have a goal against them at the same time :woot:

So who is your nearest side?

Last edited:

ovduk78

Motherwell for the game only. My lad is a STH with them. Then into Glasgow for the night. At least it is in another country and I can't understand a word they say when they are pissed. Amazed they can even understand each other. So it will be like we have gone abroad for it :smuggrin:

Will be listening to our game and watching theirs. Could be fun if we score and Motherwell have a goal against them at the same time :woot:

So who is your nearest side?
Stirling is about 16 miles away. In the SPL probably St Johnstone although Rangers, Celtic, Hamilton & Motherwell are within 40-50 miles. I have friends whose son is a STH at Motherwell. It's strange that I haven't been tempted as when I lived in Brussels I went with a friend to watch RWDM, who are based in Brussels, home and away for the 2 seasons I was there & I still follow their scores although they have been through some rough times and were relegated from the JPL for financial irregularities and have since folded and reformed & are now in about the 5th or 6th tier yet still get good crowds

Astute

Stirling is about 16 miles away. In the SPL probably St Johnstone although Rangers, Celtic, Hamilton & Motherwell are within 40-50 miles. I have friends whose son is a STH at Motherwell. It's strange that I haven't been tempted as when I lived in Brussels I went with a friend to watch RWDM, who are based in Brussels, home and away for the 2 seasons I was there & I still follow their scores although they have been through some rough times and were relegated from the JPL for financial irregularities and have since folded and reformed & are now in about the 5th or 6th tier yet still get good crowds
Know the feeling. Motherwell is a father son thing. Just like when he watches us. We both join in with the singing. But I am never pissed off at a goal against them like he is. He loves coming to our games.

I used to watch Grimsby quite a lot. It was my local team for years. A reason to go out on the piss with the lads. Could get a game in when at work that night or we were not playing. And have a lad who is a STH with them. But was never emotionally attached to them either.

sw88

Chief Commentator!
There's another ex player on their books, right? Was previously in our academy. Looks to be a starter for them in their recent games. Can't think of his bleeding name!!

He's probably more likely than nouble to score!

I'm going for a 3-1 win. Clean sheets can't go on forever! Although it would be nice to beat last seasons 8 consecutive ones (was it 8?)

Andreu to stay on the bench. Only changes should be through injuries

steve82

They have the smallest budget in L2 and Nouble is their big name signing. Nuff said. 2-0 city.

They may well have a small budget but they've retained some useful players, but above everything there fight for survival last year seems to have galvanised then some what and Micheal Flynn has them playing for him.

They may not be big names on below average L2 wages but we'd be silly to think the name Newport county cannot trouble us, nothing is a given. We will need to work for these 3pts

smileycov

Facebook User
There's another ex player on their books, right? Was previously in our academy. Looks to be a starter for them in their recent games. Can't think of his bleeding name!!

He's probably more likely than nouble to score!

I'm going for a 3-1 win. Clean sheets can't go on forever! Although it would be nice to beat last seasons 8 consecutive ones (was it 8?)

Andreu to stay on the bench. Only changes should be through injuries

David Pipe

Nick

Administrator
I must have got David Pipe mixed up with another ex youth teamer, thought he was a smallish blonde fella. Looks a bit of a unit, #DOYLER8 will smash him though and let him know he's there.

Grendel

I must have got David Pipe mixed up with another ex youth teamer, thought he was a smallish blonde fella. Looks a bit of a unit, #DOYLER8 will smash him though and let him know he's there.

I doubt it - pipe makes Robert page look like a saint.

He's spent 3 years at her majesty's pleasure for GBH

Nick

Administrator
I doubt it - pipe makes Robert page look like a saint.

He's spent 3 years at her majesty's pleasure for GBH

Jodi Jones will 2 foot him. You heard it here first.

In fairness, Pipe did use a bottle to do GBH. Isn't exactly hard to whack somebody with a bottle. He does look a bit mean though.

cooperskyblue

Play same Team that started Grimsby barring any new injuries.

I think 2-0 but again a tough game that will require the defence to concentrate and if they do for 90mins I think we will win.

Also think this squad is far better than last season's, physically stronger and hopefully mentally stronger, fitter and much more depth.

Users who are viewing this thread