Match Thread Coventry City at Blackpool Match Thread - Tuesday 21st Aug (1 Viewer)

Terry Gibson's perm

I don’t know why everyone is panicking the under 23’s won the other day and as they are so important to the club that must have given us at least three points.

I said that the lump upfront is rubbish and it seems that I may be proved correct unfortunately

Sbarcher

Just seen the goals. What a farce for both goals. A shortie out jumps our defence and keeper for the first and keeper rushes outside the box, our defenders leave it for him to hoof and he misses completely.
That should be the last game LOB plays for CCFC.

pusbccfc

Just seen Grimmer's Snapchat story from last night. A blank face emoji with 3 yawning emoji's. Clearly fed up.

capel & collindridge

I speak as someone aged 72 and may be excused some lapses of memory, but I can't remember too many wins in Lancashire ever. Especially midweek, and especially against teams we reckoned we should beat.

In recent years can only remember games against Morecambe, Accrington, Fleetwood, Blackpool, Rochdale, Tranmere, Bury and Oldham that we lost, usually 2-0, and usually when most of us were expecting we would win 3-1 or else have to make do with an unlucky draw.

Please jog my memory. There must have been some occasions when we got a point, or even three.

Irish Sky Blue

It was simple really,replace sparky and stick to 4-4-2 (keep momentum) he got lucky in his first spell with McGoldrick & in his second he got lucky with McNulty we just made 7th last season we should of been autos.Tactially I’ve also thought he was very poor.People can say what they want about 4-5 games in we will know more after 10 games but this isn’t gonna suddenly change we cannot score we have players here now who are just not upto the standard.Maybe try Biamou & JCH up too but what ever he does just change the bloody system FFS !!!
We finished 6th. McNulty was his player who he peresevered with even when fans were on his back. He got us promoted.

Londonccfcfan

Strange how one striker whose strike record is a colossal embarrassment you seem to worship

He wasn't an embarrassment in playing a major part in getting us promoted last year. Newport(a) ..Cheltenham (a)..semi final...Notts County (a).

His Link up play with McNulty was a joy to behold.

He's not a league 1 striker. But we all know that.

Gint11

What was the line up yesterday?

Sky sports had Sterling LB, Agogu CB, Willis RB. Brown LW, Thomas up front???!

Irish Sky Blue

He wasn't an embarrassment in playing a major part in getting us promoted last year. Newport(a) ..Cheltenham (a)..semi final...Notts County (a).

You were doing so well until the last line. I still think Biamou should be given a chance to show what he can do. Poor on Saturday but okay in other games he has played this season. I have not heard how bad his injury from last night was?

Nick

Administrator
What was the line up yesterday?

Sky sports had Sterling LB, Agogu CB, Willis RB. Brown LW, Thomas up front???!

Started off Thomas on the right wing / midfield with Bayliss supposedly behind the striker and Shipley on the left.

Then Thomas went behind the striker and then left midfield after having to cover at central midfield for spells when Ogogo and Doyle got overun.

Irish Sky Blue

I hate games like last night. Nearly 7 hours on the motorway for 90 minutes of “entertainment”. At a conservative estimate the evening cost £80 or £90 in tickets, petrol and a meal for my son and myself. (We had fish and chips at a cafe in the town, spent nothing at the stadium. Just saying as I want to get the “backslaps” and “likes”). The performance was soulless, it had nothing about it at all, not one real moment from a City perspective to get excited about, nothing. I think the players tried their best, I would not fault their effort, I think they cared. I would wonder whether they were brave enough to try and play football rather than to take the easy option and simply punt it forward time after time. Was this the manager’s tactics or their lack of faith in their own ability to play football? I don’t know. From my own point of view all I will take away from the experience is that it was a waste of time and money. Now I am committed and will always be back for more. I can understand how for others, if this is modern day football, they wouldn’t bother again. I want to see players running with the ball, taking on their opponent, chances being created, crosses into the box, shots being taken, saves being made and goals being scored. Last night had none of these. Blackpool I thought we’re poor, we were worse. The one saving grace was that I got talking to the chap sitting next to me who turned out to be Jordan Shipley’s granddad. A lovely chap who has an obvious pride in his grandson.

GaryMabbuttsLeftKnee

I thought we were very good against Scunthorpe for quite large portions of the game. We weren't that bad against Plymouth either. Not great at all, but not that bad.

Seemingly we have saved our awful performances for our away matches.
Couldn't agree more with this. Thought at home first two games we've looked at least okay. Away form is hugely worrying. Since start of last season, I make Blackpool my 15th away game, and regardless of results, I would say we've played well in two: Notts County in the play offs & Cheltenham away. The fact it extends so long is very worrying.

Ricketts

At Least O'Brien figured out that hoofing the ball wasnt working, and for the last 20 threw, rolled or passed the ball out.

Apart from Hyam who seemed intent of giving it him back to hoof, despite LoB giving it to him time and time again, the passing it to feet did show signs of improvement, until it hit our (lack of) midfield.

The only other good thing is the goals were the far end.

Grendel

He didn’t play a major part at all and if robins had secured a real centre forward at the start of the season we’d have not even needed the play offs

Most of mcnultys goals were down to mcnulty - stop making up nonsense

Gazolba

What does Ponticelli have to do to get a starting spot? After all he can't do worse than score no goals.
Now I expect someone will ask me if I've ever seen him play.

Grendel

What does Ponticelli have to do to get a starting spot? After all he can't do worse than score no goals.
Now I expect someone will ask me if I've ever seen him play.

Because you never answer

Cov kid 55

I speak as someone aged 72 and may be excused some lapses of memory, but I can't remember too many wins in Lancashire ever. Especially midweek, and especially against teams we reckoned we should beat.

In recent years can only remember games against Morecambe, Accrington, Fleetwood, Blackpool, Rochdale, Tranmere, Bury and Oldham that we lost, usually 2-0, and usually when most of us were expecting we would win 3-1 or else have to make do with an unlucky draw.

Please jog my memory. There must have been some occasions when we got a point, or even three.
I can remember us winning at Man City in a cup match, but that was years ago at Maine Road. Late 80’s anyone?

Cov kid 55

I hate games like last night. Nearly 7 hours on the motorway for 90 minutes of “entertainment”. At a conservative estimate the evening cost £80 or £90 in tickets, petrol and a meal for my son and myself. (We had fish and chips at a cafe in the town, spent nothing at the stadium. Just saying as I want to get the “backslaps” and “likes”). The performance was soulless, it had nothing about it at all, not one real moment from a City perspective to get excited about, nothing. I think the players tried their best, I would not fault their effort, I think they cared. I would wonder whether they were brave enough to try and play football rather than to take the easy option and simply punt it forward time after time. Was this the manager’s tactics or their lack of faith in their own ability to play football? I don’t know. From my own point of view all I will take away from the experience is that it was a waste of time and money. Now I am committed and will always be back for more. I can understand how for others, if this is modern day football, they wouldn’t bother again. I want to see players running with the ball, taking on their opponent, chances being created, crosses into the box, shots being taken, saves being made and goals being scored. Last night had none of these. Blackpool I thought we’re poor, we were worse. The one saving grace was that I got talking to the chap sitting next to me who turned out to be Jordan Shipley’s granddad. A lovely chap who has an obvious pride in his grandson.

Yep, agree with all of this, it was a total nightmare, and yes, we’ll keep turning up and supporting. I also think that the players care, and that there was effort, although I thought some disillusionment was evident by the end.

Like you I met someone interesting. We stayed overnight and at breakfast there was a single, mature lady sitting at the table next to us. Been a widow for 10 years and looks forward to watching City play at weekends, supports through thick (and more usually) thin. A bit humbling really, when you see that kind of dedication, it reminds you why you continue to support. A lot of families with young children there last night, taking advantage of school hols I guess. Shame we couldn’t put on a decent show.

Users who are viewing this thread