Coventry avoid squad crisis.... (1 Viewer)

Nick

Administrator
This is the kind of thing the telegraph's journalists should be trying to uncover :(

Sky Blues

This sounds very similar to something Cyrus Christie mentioned to a friend of mine this weekend, he's been asked also to sign a new contract lowering his bonus' didnt say anything about his normal week to week wage but definitely the bonus. i know last season each player gets a £1000 appearance £500 from the bench £1000 win bonus and £500 if they draw.

Maybe SISU are worried we might actually win a few games this season? Most seasons Cov doesn't have to folk out much in win bonuses.

oldskyblue58

CCFC Finance Director
What SISU are trying to do is to fix wage costs. The removal of any bonuses means they will know how much will be paid out each week. From a purely financial sense it makes good business. Never really understood why players get a bonus for simply turning up to do their job, would have to say over the years it doesnt seem to be a system that has any great positive results. Not saying bonuses are a bad idea but give them for better than expected performance not for mediocrity or worse.

I do think that if they are trying to break contracts and impose new ones then that is going to cause a lot of turmoil in the club.

I also think they are trying to create space withing the wage budget, and the fact that there is no agreement might well be a contributing reason for jennings etc not yet being signed. Take a 1/5th of those 4 wages out and do away with bonuses and that creates what 6k pw ?

Last edited:

Nick

Administrator
I think bonuses like you say could help when it comes to things like goals, promotion and cup runs but just for playing seems a bit strange especially when last season it was a bare squad so the team picked it's self anyway so players like McSheffrey had no chance of being dropped.

If it is a youth player like Willis then maybe a first team appearance bonus would do them good as it would force them to develop to play for the first team.

Sky Blues

That makes sense OSB. A 1k win bonus and a 1k appearance fee could more or less double the wages of some players I'd guess. Assuming hound_dawg's figures are correct, 22 grand for a winning first 11 heading towards 25k if subs are used. If we did reasonably well and win, say, 25 games and draw 10 = circa £800,000 in a year.

speedie87

I think the point here is some of the players voluntarily agreed to cut their wages then the club come along and try and threaten them with not playing unless they take further cuts.

They should scrap performance bonuses players these days get to much, agree with nick give them a bigger promotion bonus that way everyone wins even sisu

fernandopartridge

Would have thought it wouldn't be legal. If they had any sense surely they would have a relegation clause in his new contract to say his wages would go down if we got relegated anyway?

Nick, it probably wouldn’t be legal, but like people have already said, i wouldn’t put anything past SISU, they were probably testing the water with idle threats to see if they could nick a bit of money back off of some of the players that let SISU shit all over them, just like they have with us fans, remember Sisu are like any other employer, they will always try and find ways of cutting cost, even if that includes trying to screw over their employees, admittedly it wouldn’t do a lot for morale but they wouldn’t give a toss

CovKingChris, i definitely wouldn’t call you or your Dad a liar as its something they would do if they could get away with it, can’t see it happening though mate

Only my opinion!!!!

The players are shitting all over the fans and the club with their over the top wages. They've just relegated the team to the 3rd tier for the first time in 50 years, I don't think they're in a particularly strong bargaining position.

Regardless, the story is a complete load of bollocks.

Ashdown

I'm thinking along the lines of this is far fetched garbage. I'm sure SISU have put pressure on players over wages which is expected but why bother playing the likes of Baker on Saturday against Bristol just to keep him fit for warming the bench.

Marty

Baker doesn't deserve a penny of his wages, not good enough or never fit. Another player that won't be missed once he fucks off.

Mucca Mad Boys

Thanks for the 'news', but I'll take this with a pinch of salt.

Make that a handful of salt, not a pinch of salt.

I'm thinking along the lines of this is far fetched garbage. I'm sure SISU have put pressure on players over wages which is expected but why bother playing the likes of Baker on Saturday against Bristol just to keep him fit for warming the bench.

Providing all this is fact:

So is this revelation conducive to a happy dressing room even before a ball is kicked in anger - what a way to motivate a promotion campaign irrespective of the merits/de-merits of what type of bonus scheme is applied.

Rather late in the day but i agree if there is indeed a bonus element link it 100% to gaining promotion with no deviation - simple one would think !!!

Trying to understand if the 20% cut in wages is the result of last years relegation, which is understandable or is it SIiSU reneging on previously agreed pre season contracts hence all the current fuss ???

PUSB

fernandopartridge

Providing all this is fact:

So is this revelation conducive to a happy dressing room even before a ball is kicked in anger - what a way to motivate a promotion campaign irrespective of the merits/de-merits of what type of bonus scheme is applied.

Rather late in the day but i agree if there is indeed a bonus element link it 100% to gaining promotion with no deviation - simple one would think !!!

Trying to understand if the 20% cut in wages is the result of last years relegation, which is understandable or is it SIiSU reneging on previously agreed pre season contracts hence all the current fuss ???

PUSB

SISU do not have an option.

It's like any company that has a major drop in income - footballers are lucky that they aren't subject to redundancies as a result of such falls in income like people in the real world are.

jimmyhillsfanclub

They probably had to reduce the higher earners wages in order to ensure that when/if the new signings asked for pay parity....it was at the newly established lower level.

As for the wage/bonus structure in general, players at this level should be on a maximum of 1K per week basic wage......then you'd have the required flexibility to structure an incremental bonus scheme for a winning run, consecutive appearances, clean sheets etc.

But thats all far too sensible & realistic for football......

....I'm getting wound up with football & footballers already.....maybe its because we've just witnessed 2 weeks of true sportsmanship, self-less commitment, team-spirit & true sporting excellence in the olympics.....

woody11462

Surely in such uncertain financial times for the players Baker should be considering a Freeview box. If he insists on getting Skyi hope he has opted for the bog standard package!

oldskyblue58

CCFC Finance Director
wouldnt have thought ccfc/sisu would be too happy with baker saying all that either

TheRoyalScam

The threat to Baker would have been verbal - i.e. 'hearsay' evidence which would not stand up in court/in a tribunal. If true (and it very well could be) then general squad morale must be very low.

MattyMc

My dad's, friend's next door neighbours cousin's wife told me that Carl Baker has Virgin, not Sky. She has no interest in football so it must be true.

skyblueman

My dad's, friend's next door neighbours cousin's wife told me that Carl Baker has Virgin, not Sky. She has no interest in football so it must be true.

What Carl Baker's a Virgin!! all makes perfect sense now what with him not being very good at scoring... oh hang on a minute miss-read that one

SkyBlue_Bear83

Sorry mate but that sounds very far fetched. 1 why would baker have sky installed 2 years after joining? A professional footballer of any standard would have sky. 2 why would baker disclose such personal financial information to a complete stranger and 3 if your dad has no interest in football why would he be discussing it with someone who I presume he has no idea who they are?

Don't buy that one I'm afraid
Maybe he was switching from Virgin

Nonleagueherewecome

Can anyone think of a football club who has successfully forced their players to take a pay cut against their wishes? I can believe that SISU may threaten things, but when it comes to practical reality, they'd simply never get away with it.

Still, you can almost see them now.."Got it: not only do we not pay the rent..we don't pay the players either! The perfect plan for re-structuring the business. We're through the looking glass here, people.."

dongonzalos

Is it possible that suggesting that the OP has sat at home and invented a story about Carl baker, bonus, salary drops, appearances and sky. Is just as unrealistic as the story itself. Which is more likely SISU to try and threaten something like this or the OP to have randomly created this story. I think SISU are trying it on. I don't think they can afford to see it through. What it does tell me if any of our boys are in demand in January, they will be sold even if we are top of the table. SISU want all existing contracts gone.

Nonleagueherewecome

Is it possible that suggesting that the OP has sat at home and invented a story about Carl baker, bonus, salary drops, appearances and sky. Is just as unrealistic as the story itself. Which is more likely SISU to try and threaten something like this or the OP to have randomly created this story. I think SISU are trying it on. I don't think they can afford to see it through. What it does tell me if any of our boys are in demand in January, they will be sold even if we are top of the table. SISU want all existing contracts gone.

Of course, the OP may have made it up and could just be "avin a laff". Or it could be true, give or take a few embellishments in the re-telling. It's not the first rumour of this sort in the last week, though. But it does rather contradict the "boys are raring to go" Carl Baker playing golf anecdote from a few days back. Either that thread or this threads OP are lying, possibly both...why is it always Baker in these stories?!?

skyblueman

IF it is true it makes perfect sense for the club to cut costs of legacy contracts - IF it is true we will have one hugely demotivated bunch of players which is just an appalling way to start our attack on this league

dongonzalos

I think he maybe from Liverpool so will be unable to stop speaking. Have you ever seen liar liar I bet baker is like Jim Carey. :)
I just think it is too random to make up.

Sisu have got rid of most of the old contracts. I imagine everyone of our squad was up for grabs and these are the boys that were left over. I have no doubt that if tomorrow a team came in with an offer for each of these boys it would be accepted and AT told to sign replacements in order to reduce our biggest expense wages. Then they eventually will either be able to sell the club or the council will do business with them.
Can understand selling the boys. But bully boy tactics won't boost morale.

Grendel

I think he maybe from Liverpool so will be unable to stop speaking. Have you ever seen liar liar I bet baker is like Jim Carey. :)
I just think it is too random to make up.

Sisu have got rid of most of the old contracts. I imagine everyone of our squad was up for grabs and these are the boys that were left over. I have no doubt that if tomorrow a team came in with an offer for each of these boys it would be accepted and AT told to sign replacements in order to reduce our biggest expense wages. Then they eventually will either be able to sell the club or the council will do business with them.
Can understand selling the boys. But bully boy tactics won't boost morale.

They did offer Platt, Cranie and Keogh contracts of course.

If this is true and its a huge if then they have themselves to blame as this is all the work of Orange Ken. Baker and McSheffrey could have left as free agents in the summer and the Bell contract was a nonsense.

What I find hard to believe if Baker is so indiscreet is to why we know and the press don't.

SkyBlueUkeman

428px-PosterBullshitMan2.jpg

dongonzalos

Yes but the contracts they offered the above would have been league one contracts which is what the new players would be offered.
Baker strikes me as a nice bloke but a bit daft.
Maybe he was threatened with this the day he met Mr sky and vented.
Or maybe he us the OP and this is his daft way of getting it out :)
Maybe I am getting a little bit too excited about conspiracy theories.
I think there is some truth in it but wish it was a load of tosh.
Just hope it creates a siege mentality as oppose to instability.

Users who are viewing this thread