Coventry avoid squad crisis.... (1 Viewer)

CovKingChris

Facebook User
Some interesting news

My dads just got back from work. He's an engineer for SKY and fitted Carl Bakers SKY TV today. Before any of you comment, my dad has zero interest in football so there's be no reason for him to make this up. He wouldn't even know what he was talking about if he wasn't told it.

Carl told him that he may be dropped to the bench for this entire season. This is for wage reasons. Each player was asked to take a 20% wage drop, to which only 4 accepted (Carl being one of them). They have then asked all the players to give up their bonuses.

Baker told my dad that he was told that if he does not sign the new contact without the bonuses then he will be dropped to the bench for the entire season. He said he would drop the bonuses from his contact, if he were to get the 20% of his original wages back.

pusbccfc

Hmm, that is interesting, so if Baker is one of 4 that have dropped wages, does that mean all the other players are dropped to the bench!?

My dads just got back from work. He's an engineer for SKY and fitted Carl Bakers SKY TV today. Before any of you comment, my dad has zero interest in football so there's be no reason for him to make this up. He wouldn't even know what he was talking about if he wasn't told it.

Carl told him that he may be dropped to the bench for this entire season. This is for wage reasons. Each player was asked to take a 20% wage drop, to which only 4 accepted (Carl being one of them). They have then asked all the players to give up their bonuses.

Baker told my dad that he was told that if he does not sign the new contact without the bonuses then he will be dropped to the bench for the entire season. He said he would drop the bonuses from his contact, if he were to get the 20% of his original wages back.

bullcrap:facepalm::facepalm::facepalm::facepalm::facepalm::facepalm::facepalm::facepalm:

Perryccfc

Sorry mate but that sounds very far fetched. 1 why would baker have sky installed 2 years after joining? A professional footballer of any standard would have sky. 2 why would baker disclose such personal financial information to a complete stranger and 3 if your dad has no interest in football why would he be discussing it with someone who I presume he has no idea who they are?

Don't buy that one I'm afraid

Perryccfc

And 4 if that was the case baker could refuse and probably go to the pfa over unfair treatment and bribery.

CovKingChris

Facebook User
He's moved house :facepalm:

Also, he has no interest in football, but when you walk in to a footballers house, they are bound to have some football memorabilia around the house. And, they don't just all sit there in silence, people actually talk.

My initial post also says that he MAY be dropped to the bench.

Mary_Mungo_Midge

I am pretty sure that the threat of a season on the bench unless a contract of reduced value is signed would contravene employment law; and I'm sure the PFA would be over if like a tramp with a bag of chips, surely?

Nick

Administrator
Would have thought it wouldn't be legal. If they had any sense surely they would have a relegation clause in his new contract to say his wages would go down if we got relegated anyway?

Sky Blue Kid

This IS SISU we're talking about....I wouldn't put anything past them, remember they signed a contract to pay the rent but they haven't!

Nick

Administrator
As MMM said though, surely any decent employment lawyer would sue the arse off them? Especially with the PFA behind them.

I think that there should have been a pay cut / relegation clause though.

hound_Dawg

This sounds very similar to something Cyrus Christie mentioned to a friend of mine this weekend, he's been asked also to sign a new contract lowering his bonus' didnt say anything about his normal week to week wage but definitely the bonus. i know last season each player gets a £1000 appearance £500 from the bench £1000 win bonus and £500 if they draw.

Nick

Administrator
Every player got that?

Would SISU really be that stupid not to include relegation clauses in contracts though that say if we go down, so does your wage? No wonder none of them gave a shit ;)

ajsccfc

No matter how legit something may be, the alarm bells always ring when people go with 'why would I/my souce lie?'.

Sky Blue M

I just cant see why we would go out, spend money and sign 8 players and then tell them all they have to lower their wages.

Grendel

If Baker has spouted off to some bloke fitting his SKY TV you might think someone may have leaked this to the press by now.

Nick

Administrator
I know for a fact that players browse this site sometimes. Would have thought if they were that unhappy they could have made a false account and really stirred it up by posting about it?

Grendel

Allegedly the 4 who took cuts and now won't accept reduced bonuses are

Baker
Murphy
Clarke
Macca

Then we will know very soon won't we. Would not seem a major saving exercise either..

sotv1987

Would have thought it wouldn't be legal. If they had any sense surely they would have a relegation clause in his new contract to say his wages would go down if we got relegated anyway?

Nick, it probably wouldn’t be legal, but like people have already said, i wouldn’t put anything past SISU, they were probably testing the water with idle threats to see if they could nick a bit of money back off of some of the players that let SISU shit all over them, just like they have with us fans, remember Sisu are like any other employer, they will always try and find ways of cutting cost, even if that includes trying to screw over their employees, admittedly it wouldn’t do a lot for morale but they wouldn’t give a toss

CovKingChris, i definitely wouldn’t call you or your Dad a liar as its something they would do if they could get away with it, can’t see it happening though mate

Only my opinion!!!!

Last edited:

Diehard Si

I see this as much more disruptive than the rent agreement.

If they wanted to reduce wages they should have cleared more players out. I can't imagine Thorn being too happy either having selection policy dictated by SISU's contract arrangements.

Nick

Administrator
Players would also be represented by both the PFA and an agent. Surely between the 2 of them it wouldn't happen?

skybluesteve76

Can't people move house or have multiroom installed! Such a narrow minded cynical bunch on here!
Seems to make sense to me, bit of a far fetched story to make up I would of thought.

Users who are viewing this thread