Council meeting for Mark and I (5 Viewers)

olderskyblue

shmmeee

I sort of agree but then he's got a large team of other highly paid execs underneath him, he isn't running anything on his own.

You could say that about any Chief Exec.

Chief Execs are probably overpaid. But this ridiculous idea that everyone who works in the public sector should do it for a fraction of market wage, or this arbitrary £100k barrier needs to die.

Plenty to slag people off for, just the wages thing bothers me. Public sector already benefits from cheap labour because people care, my wages basically doubled after I left teaching for example. It’s just a tool to make public sector hire shit staff so they can later complain about the shit staff. See the BBC for example.

Sky Blue Pete

Chief Execs are probably overpaid. But this ridiculous idea that everyone who works in the public sector should do it for a fraction of market wage, or this arbitrary £100k barrier needs to die.

Plenty to slag people off for, just the wages thing bothers me. Public sector already benefits from cheap labour because people care, my wages basically doubled after I left teaching for example. It’s just a tool to make public sector hire shit staff so they can later complain about the shit staff. See the BBC for example.
That wasn’t my point either. It’s a damn difficult job and those I know who’ve worked with him think he does it well. I’ve also heard some negative stuff of course but they haven’t worked with him. I do take nicks point that he is well paid.

Didn’t realise he’d been in post since 2008 that maybe a good question

fernandopartridge

Agree entirely. I've said on here before that I'd argue that the scope of objectives that a CEO of a local authority has to work to is far broader than any CEO in the private sector.

tisza

people are starting to recognise what some on here were saying all along that you can’t sell the stadium and expect it not to impact ccfc financially and in the long term
Can't say CCC weren't aware from the beginning that sale of Ricoh wouldn't impact CCFC financially.
They obviously knew that it would - maybe they thought it would finally drive SISU out and everyone would be grateful and CCFC would sit quietly as a tenant in a stadium built for them but under different landlords.
Again obvious that CCFC & supporters weren't their main concern - just their conflict with the owners.
But statements like they will do the minimum to facilitate a return of CCFC to Coventry at an alternate side to the Ricoh don't help their cause either.
Little chance of an apology as it would be seen as some sort of admission of guilt. Mindset of the 2 sides (SISU and CCC) to entrenched.
Best you could get from CCC is a statement saying "okay if you want your own stadium Good Luck and we'll help where we can as long as it is isn't costing us money."

Magwitch

One question that could be asked is is there anywhere towards the inner city where could be enough land for a stadium, I’m thinking the Hearsall Common area as an example and not just the Common, there are biggish empty warehouse suites quiet close to each other on the Coventry industrial estate next door to the common. Doubt you will get an answer but interesting to see their reaction to that question.

shmmeee

One question that could be asked is is there anywhere towards the inner city where could be enough land for a stadium, I’m thinking the Hearsall Common area as an example and not just the Common, there are biggish empty warehouse suites quiet close to each other on the Coventry industrial estate next door to the common. Doubt you will get an answer but interesting to see their reaction to that question.

All privately owned that unless I’m looking in the wrong place.

shmmeee

Yes they would be but buyable I’d think

Not really a question for the council though, a question got Sisu maybe as to whether they’ve enquired. I’d imagine that land (or any land towards the centre) isn’t cheap though.

Better Q for the council is would they support a change of use and the infrastructure for such a project. But the answer is likely to be “give us a proposal and we can discuss it”.

Magwitch

Hearsall Common itself would never happen, and could never happen, unless we fancied letting people walk their dogs across the pitch between games.
Is the bottom end where the fairground goes Common land not sure. Having said that I don’t think there’s a chance of any ground being built anywhere. But would be interesting if there are any sites more central where one could be.

shmmeee

Is the bottom end where the fairground goes Common land not sure. Having said that I don’t think there’s a chance of any ground being built anywhere. But would be interesting if there are any sites more central where one could be.

City Centre South. Or some of the Cov Uni grounds. Basically do what we’re doing with UoW with CU. Probably not workable, but a man can dream.

NortonSkyBlue

So the CEO of a major city is earning similar to a league one player... why is this relevant? Surely the competency and outcomes should be of importance to Coventry citizens?
There is a ground that was built for us, a landlord that needs financial support and a club that needs to play in its own city. What could go wrong?

Levship20

Best of luck Pete and Mark. Without being too pessimistic I do think the homework will have been done and answers will be few and far between. Listening to you on CWR this morning I think the calm approach is what is needed but can you please put across “in a polite way of course” how much hatred Duggins and co have created and although they probably know this, please repeat it!!

shmmeee

Best of luck Pete and Mark. Without being too pessimistic I do think the homework will have been done and answers will be few and far between. Listening to you on CWR this morning I think the calm approach is what is needed but can you please put across “in a polite way of course” how much hatred Duggins and co have created and although they probably know this, please repeat it!!

“Excuse me sir, are you aware that, with the greatest respect, everyone thinks you’re a shitcunt?”

Sky Blue Pete

So the CEO of a major city is earning similar to a league one player... why is this relevant? Surely the competency and outcomes should be of importance to Coventry citizens?
There is a ground that was built for us, a landlord that needs financial support and a club that needs to play in its own city. What could go wrong?
Quite, what could possibly go wrong!!

Sky Blue Pete

Hatred at the decisions not at the people

Senior Vick from Alicante

CCC is full of people that are trying to do there best but like all public bodies 30% of the workforce swing the lead. 80% are under paid and grossly over worked, management scared to manage people out so just let it drift. Some good councilor's but certain individuals are there to further there own business portfolios. Until someone on the inside with a passion for the club takes a stand the council will just ignore it and let it drift along. But then you get what you vote for, if we're voting for anti-Semitic left wing children like Zara Sultana then we as a city will always be at the back of the queue. I know the club is not bigger than the city's public services but it's woven into the lives of most of us and that needs to be respected by the elected idiots at least, they should not be in a position to adversely influence what effects a privately owned business and it fucking stinks.

Philosorapter

I'm struggling a little bit now to understand what the point of much more engagement with the council is. What are we expecting to hear from them or what do we want?

Let's hear what they say first and go from there.

Just to clarify what was said at the sale of the Arena.

-----

Council leader Ann Lucas, said the Labour party insisted on three ‘deal-breakers’ before agreeing to back the move.

She said it must allow continued regeneration of the north east of the city, allow Coventry City FC to remain at the stadium and must not disadvantage the city’s existing rugby team - Coventry Rugby Club.

She said: “The Ricoh is a much-loved community asset that every one of us is proud of.

“No one here has ever been prepared to sell the Ricoh Arena or the leasehold unless we can be completely satisfied our original aims can be met and include a home for the football club.

“We have always had the interests of the people of Coventry, taxpayers and local residents at the heart of any decision about future ownership of the stadium or ACL.

“Let me be clear, any deal around the future of the Ricoh Arena must not happen if it threatens the future of the Sky Blues or Coventry Rugby Club.

-------

There is a collective responsibility for all council members to do what they actually said.

The four-year limit that has recently been put on this is complete bollocks.

The tacit consent that the people have given to council members to just carry on and do just what they like is probably coming to an end.

They do deserve a right of reply to recent events though first.

Last edited:

covcity4life

170% struggle with percentages?
giphy.gif

fernandopartridge

CCC is full of people that are trying to do there best but like all public bodies 30% of the workforce swing the lead. 80% are under paid and grossly over worked, management scared to manage people out so just let it drift. Some good councilor's but certain individuals are there to further there own business portfolios. Until someone on the inside with a passion for the club takes a stand the council will just ignore it and let it drift along. But then you get what you vote for, if we're voting for anti-Semitic left wing children like Zara Sultana then we as a city will always be at the back of the queue. I know the club is not bigger than the city's public services but it's woven into the lives of most of us and that needs to be respected by the elected idiots at least, they should not be in a position to adversely influence what effects a privately owned business and it fucking stinks.

WOT

shepardo01

Credit where its due, he's taken a lot of stick over how he has handled this over the years but this is exactly what we need to see from the local media.

Not a good look for CCC or Wasps, particularly CCC as a publicly accountable body, to be refusing to answer what are very basic questions.
Only problem is, unless you follow him on twitter, you wouldn't really know what questions he is asking.
Fair play for him for doing it, and pushing the issue.... but i think very few will be aware of this!!

chiefdave

Only problem is, unless you follow him on twitter, you wouldn't really know what questions he is asking.
Fair play for him for doing it, and pushing the issue.... but i think very few will be aware of this!!

Did he not mention it on CWR this morning? Assumed as he said he was on after 8am with Phil Upton and started tweeting after that it was what had been discussed on the show.

Users who are viewing this thread