Could 71 points be enough? (1 Viewer)

Robinshio

so what are we thinking now

I think 3 points will do it, but would keep us sweating
I think 4 points will definitely do it

What ever the result on saturday, there will be something on the last game -

A win would be great, - a big win even better as it may even come to GD

skybluelee

I have 5 teams (including us) finishing on 69 points, and us just about making 6th on goal difference! Gonna be a tense two weeks!

skyblu3sk

I have 5 teams (including us) finishing on 69 points, and us just about making 6th on goal difference! Gonna be a tense two weeks!
number 2 running GIF by theAwkwardYeti

Alan Dugdales Moustache

We really need to win both our final matches.

bigfatronssba

Current trajectory is showing 6th place as being 69 points

slowpoke

On fixtures and form I’d make Sunderland slight favourites to get a play-off spot but I suspect there are more twists and turns to come, the division is barmy.

By my reckoning, IF

Tues - Blackburn lose to Burnley
Wed - WBA don't win at Sheff Utd
Fri - Millwall lose at Blackpool
Sat - Sunderland lose to Watford AND Cov win...

then we will be guaranteed play-offs IF WBA don't beat Norwich in the late KO

Very unlikely for all of those things to happen of course

shmmeee

By my reckoning, IF

True, but half the results recently have been very unlikely.

Legia Sky Blue

4 points looks like it will do it to me. 3 points would leave it open to vagaries of goal difference, which could all change in the next couple of games.

TomRad85

I think 4pts would likely be playoffs.
I don't think 3pts will be enough.
yeh agree, pretty sure we need to beat Blues then i think we'll still be needing to take something from Boro. A 0-0 snooze would do.

Astute

By my reckoning, IF

Burnley the best side in the division. Had 81% possession against QPR. Just one of them games where nearly everything goes wrong.

Sheffield United the second best side in this division.

Millwall on a very bad run.

Think Sunderland will win. But they are away to Preston last game and we're a point ahead.

I have been saying for a few weeks that 69 points should be enough. But we still have Birmingham to beat and could be a very nervous day. Beat Birmingham and I can't see us missing out.

Brighton Sky Blue

Burnley the best side in the division. Had 81% possession against QPR. Just one of them games where nearly everything goes wrong.

Sheffield United the second best side in this division.

Millwall on a very bad run.

Think Sunderland will win. But they are away to Preston last game and we're a point ahead.

I have been saying for a few weeks that 69 points should be enough. But we still have Birmingham to beat and could be a very nervous day. Beat Birmingham and I can't see us missing out.
Add in that Blackpool have turned a corner since McCarthy was sacked and have gone back to trying to play something resembling football. Swansea meanwhile have won 4 in a row since drawing against us, so a) in hindsight a point there looks very good indeed and b) they ought to take out West Brom on the final day.

slowpoke

We need Blackburn & West Brom to lose Tuesday and Wednesday would put us and Sunderland in great position, but I doubt they both will lots of twists to come.

Astute

We need Blackburn & West Brom to lose Tuesday and Wednesday would put us and Sunderland in great position, but I doubt they both will lots of twists to come.
If we win on Saturday the twists and turns will be in our favour

skybluestub

I don't know if I've worked myself into complete confusion but I think playoffs could be confirmed by Monday IF (and it's a very big if) we do our bit and results go our way. I think there are 8 things we would need to happen:

1. Blackburn lose to Burnley tonight
2. West Brom lose to Sheffield Utd tomorrow
3. Millwall lose to Blackpool on Friday (a miracle!)
4. We beat Birmingham on Saturday
5. Sunderland lose to Watford on Saturday (wishful thinking, you just know they're getting form at the right time)
6. West Brom lose or draw against Norwich on Saturday
7. Preston lose or draw against Sheff Utd on Saturday
8. Blackburn lose to Luton on Monday

I work that out as us having 69 points, none of the teams below being able to knock us below 6th on the last day or the need to look at GD. That draw at Blackburn could prove crucial in all of this.

Is there anyone able to confirm or correct my workings, I love to be an optimist!

Sky Blue Pete

I don't know if I've worked myself into complete confusion but I think playoffs could be confirmed by Monday IF (and it's a very big if) we do our bit and results go our way. I think there are 8 things we would need to happen:

5. Sunderland lose to Watford on Saturday (wishful thinking, you just know they're getting form at the right time)

I work that out as us having 69 points, none of the teams below being able to knock us below 6th on the last day or the need to look at GD. That draw at Blackburn could prove crucial in all of this.

Is there anyone able to confirm or correct my workings, I love to be an optimist!
Keep being an optimist

shmmeee

Basically if we win we need all bar one of the following minimum:

Sunderland lose to Watford
Millwall lose to Blackpool
Blackburn: 1 pt from Burnley and Luton
WBA: 2 pts from Sheff Utd and Norwich
Preston: Don’t win 15-0 against Sheff Utd away

Johhny Blue

Basically if we win we need all bar one of the following minimum:

Sunderland lose to Watford
Millwall lose to Blackpool
Blackburn: 1 pt from Burnley and Luton
WBA: 2 pts from Sheff Utd and Norwich