Could 71 points be enough? (1 Viewer)

steve cooper

I think that’s a good point.

If Middlesboro have secured 3rd before the last day, would they risk the likes of Akpom in their game against us?

One’s initial thoughts are “don’t be ridiculous” but with the amount of money riding on promotion taking risks in a dead rubber for them seems senseless.

(incidentally, would they play us immediately after if they are 3rd and we scrape 6th?)

I think we’ll draw Blackburn, tonk Reading, Doug will get his brother to bribe the skint blue noses with a few free shaving products and we will last minute penalty win that.

Final game: need a result at second string Boro.

Robins did tell us that it’s time to dream, right?
Another thing to consider from Middlesboro's point of view is if we are in a position to finish 6th by winning there, and we went on to beat their strongest team, it would give us the double over them, a psychological advantage, and the confidence that we could beat them in the playoffs, whereas beating what is effectively their second string wouldn't have the same effect.

steve cooper

Calm down lads, let's beat Blackburn first.
I'm not too hung up on beating Blackburn, I think 6 points from the next 3 games would keep us in with an outside chance. Obviously 3 or even 1 point on Wednesday would be fantastic. We would then need to beat Middlesboro though.
Edited.

Last edited:

Londonccfcfan

I'm not too hung up on beating Blackburn, I think 6 points from the last 3 games would keep us in with an outside chance. Obviously 3 or even 1 point on Wednesday would be fantastic. We would then need to beat Middlesboro though.
No chance have you seen the fixtures the teams have in and around us..

covcity4life

A draw would mean we would likely be 9th or 10th after wednesday.

It wouldnt be disaster a point. Think we need 3. As it would literally put us in pole position and play offs
would be in our hands.
Disaster? Within a win of top 6 with 3 games left to play and 2 at home

Not a disaster in my book.

Obviously a win would be amazing but a draw keeps us bang in it. A loss hurts our chances big time

steve cooper

At this stage I'm not too worried about other team's results, we can get 74 points, most likely we won't get that many but the only teams fighting for the 2 last places that can get 74 are Millwall, Blackburn, Preston, West Brom, and us.
Add to that, I think there is at least 1 permutation where either Blackburn, Preston, or even Millwall will not all be able to achieve 74 because they are involved in playing each other.

Last edited:

Warwickhunt

3rd play 6th in the play off first legs, so do you think Mboro would rather play city or Blackburn LOL. :LOL: Seems a clear choice to me

Johhny Blue

We can’t lose to Blackburn. If we let them win and they have a game in hand they can potentially move away from us . It’s going to be very tight finish to the season but it’s great we’ve got something to play for with 4 games to go.
Their game in hand will just worsen their goal difference

Johhny Blue

A draw would mean we would likely be 9th or 10th after wednesday.

It wouldnt be disaster a point. Think we need 3. As it would literally put us in pole position and play offs
would be in our hands.
Playoffs wouldn’t be in our hands but we get your point

Astute

Blackburn have a horrible run of games. A draw should be good enough against them. If we win I can't see them getting enough points to keep up with us.

Blackburn v Coventry
Preston v Blackburn
Burnley v Blackburn
Blackburn v Luton
Millwall v Blackburn

Astute

They are at the top of this post.
3 wins will give us 71 points, and as the title suggests, maybe that could be enough.
71 points should be enough. Don't think Blackburn will reach it with their run of games. The other sides still have games against each other. Can see 6th place being less than 70 points.

skyblue1991

If we win all our final games we'll be in the play offs

What more motivation do the players need?

Sent from my Pixel 6 using Tapatalk

Robinshio

Our home form has fckud us unfortunately.
we are 10th and 3 points off 6th in the home table
we are 9th and 4 points off 6th in the away table

Reading are the odd one, 8th in the home table, bottom in the away table
Preston and Sunderland both poor at home and good away

we are relatively consistent

The Nomad

we are 10th and 3 points off 6th in the home table
we are 9th and 4 points off 6th in the away table

Reading are the odd one, 8th in the home table, bottom in the away table
Preston and Sunderland both poor at home and good away

we are relatively consistent
Our home form since around Christmas has been very poor though. A couple of wins instead of draws and draws instead of defeats and we'd have almost been there.

skybluepm2

Our home form since around Christmas has been very poor though. A couple of wins instead of draws and draws instead of defeats and we'd have almost been there.

very similar to how we ended last season if my memory serves me correctly.

Current away form is incredible. 7 unbeaten is nothing to be sniffed at. Let’s hope we can stretch it to 9 (11 including play-off semi and Wembley!)

Legia Sky Blue

so suggesting we will finish 6th on 68 points but sunderland in 11th on 67 !!!

This is exactly the reason there is no point making predictions. In this league if you can predict 50% of the results of games you are doing well, and is why using the fixture calculator tool is pretty pointless. There are so many variables! Difficult though it is to not get too far ahead of ourselves, we should just enjoy the ride, as the pressure is sure to mount game by game. At this moment in time Blackburn is the be all and end all.

SkyBlueCharlie9

Just for a bit of fun, I have assessed 3 elements of the 8 contestents for the final two playoff places. Have crudely ranked each of these criteria.
1. Position/Points
2. Form
3. Fixture difficulty.

Think we have a little glimmer that means we might nick it. On my final order of standings I have it finishing...

Millwall
Cov
--------------------------
Preston
Norwich
Sunderland
WBA
Watford
Blackburn

Users who are viewing this thread