Coronavirus (2 Viewers)

shmmeee

To some extent, I agree, certainly in terms of self isolation costs etc but wider impact on companies, depends how long this goes on for.

Yeah god knows what you do there. At least with the banks it’s easy enough to basically just top up their accounts. When it’s thousands of small businesses what do you do?

David O'Day

Don't know if it's coincidence but just been to the gym and it was very quiet for a Friday afternoon.
if that's anything to go by the hospitality and leisure industries are going to get hit very hard.
If the queue in the pub is smaller I'm all for it

Sent from my SM-G975F using Tapatalk

Sky_Blue_Dreamer

There’s going to be 2008 style bailouts needed here if we’re not careful.

But this time it'll be something beyond their control and worthy of it. 2008 was a crisis of their own making by-and-large and the fuckers shouldn't have got a penny unless it was a market-style takeover of a distressed company. Live by the sword....

shmmeee

But this time it'll be something beyond their control and worthy of it. 2008 was a crisis of their own making by-and-large and the fuckers shouldn't have got a penny unless it was a market-style takeover of a distressed company. Live by the sword....

A lot harder to mitigate though as I say above, though also I expect a lot harder to make political hay out of. I expect it to have the opposite effect of the crash for the incumbent government. No one serious is going to blame them for adding to the debt after a pandemic and they’ve already pledged massive stimulus due to Brexit. Politically I think this’ll work out pretty well for Johnson barring some massive disparity in the death rates here compared to similar countries.

Sky_Blue_Dreamer

A lot harder to mitigate though as I say above, though also I expect a lot harder to make political hay out of. I expect it to have the opposite effect of the crash for the incumbent government. No one serious is going to blame them for adding to the debt after a pandemic and they’ve already pledged massive stimulus due to Brexit. Politically I think this’ll work out pretty well for Johnson barring some massive disparity in the death rates here compared to similar countries.

Oh I agree getting it all sorted will be a lot harder. I was just saying this is more worthy of it.

Chances are Johnson will come out of it quite well (he's managed to come out of everything else well so why not this) even though it will be pointed out that them saying the money wasn't there and it suddenly will be (albeit in exceptional circumstances and likely to be offered at very low rates in comparison).

The money they will find for that will likely be enormous compared to the amount they find for the needs of the NHS to deal with this

Ring Of Steel

That's not full sick pay from day one? I think there is statuary sick pay which is about 100 a week I think but not sure if that's moved to say one and no idea how to claim it? Its not full pay though so doesn't do much.

I'm confused- where are you talking about? Statutory sick pay (or 'illness benefit' as its called here) is €203 per week here, they put it up to €305 for Coronavirus.

Nick

Administrator
I'm confused- where are you talking about? Statutory sick pay (or 'illness benefit' as its called here) is €203 per week here, they put it up to €305 for Coronavirus.
SSP is £94 a week and it has been moved to day one over here too.

Statutory Sick Pay (SSP)

I think I'll go to work with a cough.

Self employed need to claim universal credit if they can't work. I think most of those will probably battle through too

Grendel

Incredible how people survived the 1918 pandemic and built a society really

CCFCSteve

whatever people’s political persuasion, let’s hope so for all our sakes

ps how you feeling by the way shmmeee ? Ok I hope

CCFCSteve

SSP is £94 a week and it has been moved to day one over here too.

Statutory Sick Pay (SSP)

I think I'll go to work with a cough.

Self employed need to claim universal credit if they can't work. I think most of those will probably battle through too

I think for the sake of a week most could/should be able to cover that (that’s what theyre saying in relation to self isolation if symptoms are shown)

Nick

Administrator
I think for the sake of a week most could/should be able to cover that (that’s what theyre saying in relation to self isolation if symptoms are shown)
So I'm off work for a week, who is doing my job?

Who's doing the job of the self employed tradesman?

Marty

Anybody else planning long term? Bought plenty of seeds earlier, I do grow a bit myself anyway, but taking it to another level this year.

Spurs 'City Away Kit' Kit

Definitely Clint, they will be decimated ! In particular bars, clubs and restaurants I’d imagine

I was speaking to a lender yesterday and credit insurance companies are already reducing credit limits (across most/all sectors) which will impact companies trade/working capital. They are also being inundated by companies (again various sectors) that are feeling the pinch already. These are the wider human costs that aren’t always being considered

You hope the government will free up capital through a programme similar to quantitative easing, which should trickle down via the banks, to give companies some breathing room when things are tight and prevent them going to the wall. Whilst it doesn't help people being laid off in the near future at least there will companies to employ them when we get through the worst of it.

David O'Day

You hope the government will free up capital through a programme similar to quantitative easing, which should trickle down via the banks, to give companies some breathing room when things are tight and prevent them going to the wall. Whilst it doesn't help people being laid off in the near future at least there will companies to employ them when we get through the worst of it.
The problem with QE is most of it doesn't trickle down enough. I may be better to investigate peoples QE which would stimulate the economy more.

Marty

seeing as the “experts” are about to announce a huge U turn, I’d go call that guy in the pub and see what the next move is.

Are they?

You know the funny thing in all this, China have now introduced travel bans, checks at the border and a 14 day mandatory quarantine, you know, the same measures they called racist when others did it.

Ring Of Steel

Are they?

You know the funny thing in all this, China have now introduced travel bans, checks at the border and a 14 day mandatory quarantine, you know, the same measures they called racist when others did it.

yes, someone said on the other board, I checked and it’s true, every paper is covered in “U turn”, “climbdown”, “embarrassment” etc

Marty

yes, someone said on the other board, I checked and it’s true, every paper is covered in “U turn”, “climbdown”, “embarrassment” etc

Have you got a link? Can't find anything on the bbc

Gazolba

Went to the supermarket today and the bathroom tissue/paper towel aisle was completely empty.
People were buying napkins instead (serviettes or whatever you call them there).
Totally out of hand sanitizer too.

Users who are viewing this thread