Coronavirus (2 Viewers)

SkyBlueDom26

Brazil president now has it and Trump was recently with him.......

The whole world is literally closing down before our eyes i never thought I'd see anything like it!

ccfc92

It's the new Brexit.

At least Brexit didn't bring the country to a halt though.

giphy.gif

SkyBlueDom26

Would someone be able to explain how the peak is 10-14 weeks away and how that is calculated exactly? Will it be at its most dangerous between them weeks then fall away or??? I imagine most places will be under complete lock down then

clint van damme

Don't know if it's coincidence but just been to the gym and it was very quiet for a Friday afternoon.
if that's anything to go by the hospitality and leisure industries are going to get hit very hard.

CCFCSteve

Would someone be able to explain how the peak is 10-14 weeks away and how that is calculated exactly? Will it be at its most dangerous between them weeks then fall away or??? I imagine most places will be under complete lock down then

It will be most dangerous for people who need hospital treatment as beds will be full/equipment being fully utilised

god knows how they have predicted it (computer magic)....it will be based on current spread rates here and elsewhere but guessing that can/will change, especially if actions taken by people alter the spread

fellatio_Martinez

Don't know if it's coincidence but just been to the gym and it was very quiet for a Friday afternoon.
if that's anything to go by the hospitality and leisure industries are going to get hit very hard.

There's a big gym near me. It's always packed in the evenings. I drove past yesterday and it was empty.

Luckily for gyms the bastards charge you whether you go or not.

Ring Of Steel

give it a go

Tell you what I'll do, I'll directly post something that one of the main UK "experts" said in order to explain it. As we know these people are smarter than the rest of the medical professionals on the planet, so this will be the best thing to do to explain to you and also demonstrate the bewildering levels of expertise and intelligence we are talking about.

peak.PNG

Ring Of Steel

I went last night and found myself thinking that the guys there are either daft or very confident- fist bumping, manhugs & all sorts

clint van damme

There's a big gym near me. It's always packed in the evenings. I drove past yesterday and it was empty.

Luckily for gyms the bastards charge you whether you go or not.

Exactly, if people are staying away from something they've already paid for it doesn't bode well for stuff they haven't.

shmmeee

Id assume you look at other countries rate of increase and a theoretical maximum saturation the virus would get to. Then you’d model what impact any interventions you’re planning should have and adjust accordingly.

You’re talking number of live active cases so what makes it dangerous is that there’s too much for the NHS to handle and people who would’ve survived with normal care don’t because there’s a lack of equipment or doctors. That’s why you try to flatten the peak, so you’re at or a little over capacity for a while rather than in absolute chaos for a short time.

Other factors like the effect summer has (probably not much on the virus bad as Australia shows, but the NHS generally has more free capacity in the summer) and whether we develop any treatments or ideally vaccines in the coming months mean there’s good reasons to delay.

CCFCSteve

Definitely Clint, they will be decimated ! In particular bars, clubs and restaurants I’d imagine

I was speaking to a lender yesterday and credit insurance companies are already reducing credit limits (across most/all sectors) which will impact companies trade/working capital. They are also being inundated by companies (again various sectors) that are feeling the pinch already. These are the wider human costs that aren’t always being considered

clint van damme

Definitely Clint, they will be decimated ! In particular bars, clubs and restaurants I’d imagine

I was speaking to a lender yesterday and credit insurance companies are already reducing credit limits (across most/all sectors) which will impact companies trade/working capital. They are also being inundated by companies (again various sectors) that are feeling the pinch already. These are the wider human costs that aren’t always being considered

That doesn't sound good. Obviously everyone's health is the most important thing but it does look like the economy is going to take a battering.
Having said that, when all this is over I will have a surplus of money due to no football so the local white lightening vendor, Albanian coke dealer and neighbourhood massage parlour are in for a bumper weekend in about 4 weeks time.

shmmeee

There’s going to be 2008 style bailouts needed here if we’re not careful.

CCFCSteve

That doesn't sound good. Obviously everyone's health is the most important thing but it does look like the economy is going to take a battering.

Agree, I’m not suggesting for a minute that it’s not, but huge numbers could lose their jobs and be without work, which to many may be far worse than catching the actual virus.

Nick

Administrator
Agree, I’m not suggesting for a minute that it’s not, but huge numbers could lose their jobs and be without work, which to many may be far worse than catching the actual virus.
Exactly! I don't think people are thinking of the risks of fucking the economy up and bringing the country to a standstill.

People say "isolate yourself for 2 weeks" as if it's nothing. I can't afford to lose 2 weeks pay being off sick.

shmmeee

Exactly! I don't think people are thinking of the risks of fucking the economy up and bringing the country to a standstill.

People say "isolate yourself for 2 weeks" as if it's nothing. I can't afford to lose 2 weeks pay being off sick.

All sortable with political will though, Germany offering support for companies to pay workers while they isolate. Just a question of how much are you willing to add to the debt to save how many lives?

The bigger issue than self isolation will be general lack of footfall and attendance for events and other gatherings. Whole industries will take a hit.

Nick

Administrator
All sortable with political will though, Germany offering support for companies to pay workers while they isolate. Just a question of how much are you willing to add to the debt to save how many lives?

The bigger issue than self isolation will be general lack of footfall and attendance for events and other gatherings. Whole industries will take a hit.

What if people are self employed? Are they going to hire people to cover for staff off sick?

Is a self employed gasman going to stay at home for 14 days because he has slight symptoms. No chance, he has bills to pay. Here and now.

Not what might happen months down the line if some long winded process pays a percentage of earnings.

Ring Of Steel

Over here you get full sick pay on day one from the govt if you can't work & its not covered by your employer, and if you're self employed its the same- if you get it you're covered- I assume its the same in the UK?

CCFCSteve

To some extent, I agree, certainly in terms of self isolation costs etc but wider impact on companies, depends how long this goes on for.

Nick

Administrator
Over here you get full sick pay on day one from the govt if you can't work & its not covered by your employer, and if you're self employed its the same- if you get it you're covered- I assume its the same in the UK?
I haven't heard anything about any of that here? Neither has my boss

Users who are viewing this thread