Coronavirus Thread (Off Topic, Politics) (12 Viewers)

Saddlebrains

Vaccination rate is gash really isnt it? Remember when we were whacking out 600k a day?

Saddlebrains

I had a though earlier.

Those who are ok with this being another 2-4 weeks or whatever. Would that opinion change if fans werent allowed back in again? because it pushing towards Sart of the season time if they extend by 4 weeks

Skybluefaz

I had a though earlier.

Those who are ok with this being another 2-4 weeks or whatever. Would that opinion change if fans werent allowed back in again? because it pushing towards Sart of the season time if they extend by 4 weeks
Fans are allowed in.

By which I mean, unless they impose restrictions back on it the worst it will be is 25% BJ has said its irreversible and he's a man of his word

Earlsdon_Skyblue1

Been watching the G7 coverage, find it annoying.

For pictures with the press they are social distancing etc, but then a lot of the other times they are walking with their arms around each other.

I get that they need to set an example, but this kind of Covid theatre just seems ridiculous.

Sky Blue Pete

I had a though earlier.

Those who want to press on what if it gets to 10000 new infections a day?
I’d be annoyed if I couldn’t watch the Footie from the start of next season but on balance id also prefer to have my mum and in laws around for a few more years

Nick

Administrator
I’d be annoyed if I couldn’t watch the Footie from the start of next season but on balance id also prefer to have my mum and in laws around for a few more years

This is the kind of stuff that gets people scared like it's either-or.

People not wanting to leave the house in case OAPs die.

Saddlebrains

Would surely be irrelvant if we hit 10k? same as if we hit 30k a day. None if it is translating into mass hospitalisations and deaths, even now, 5 weeks into this variant

Sky Blue Pete

Would surely be irrelvant if we hit 10k? same as if we hit 30k a day. None if it is translating into mass hospitalisations and deaths, even now, 5 weeks into this variant
I think that’s right but the more infections the more chance of variants that may be vaccine busting is the counter argument. I’m happy things are much safer now to start getting back up and running maybe maintain distance and masks indoors

Nick

Administrator
I think that’s right but the more infections the more chance of variants that may be vaccine busting is the counter argument. I’m happy things are much safer now to start getting back up and running maybe maintain distance and masks indoors

There will always be variants though.

Brighton Sky Blue

All I want is to be allowed a vaccinated wedding, I'm OK with a few weeks more delay if I can be assured of that afterwards.

stay_up_skyblues

All I want is to be allowed a vaccinated wedding, I'm OK with a few weeks more delay if I can be assured of that afterwards.

We are 6th August. Selfishly hoping it doesn’t get put back another four weeks…. Just too close for comfort. Agreed we will just go with the scaled down reception now if we have to instead of postponing again.

SBT

I had a though earlier.

I think everyone in the country is acutely aware of what a 2-4 week delay would mean to their lives. And I think it's generally easier to make those trade-offs knowing that it really is only a matter of weeks now. (Unless you hang out at the Hyde Park protests every Saturday)

Of course I'd be disappointed if the first game back was supposed to be on June 21 or something, but anyone who would change their mind about how to handle a public health crisis based only on their desire to go to the football (or the theatre, or on holiday, or whatever) is 100% a snake!

Sky_Blue_Dreamer

Been watching the G7 coverage, find it annoying.

For pictures with the press they are social distancing etc, but then a lot of the other times they are walking with their arms around each other.

I get that they need to set an example, but this kind of Covid theatre just seems ridiculous.

I was the same with the football where they were socially distanced for team line-ups etc.

When they were doing the guard of honour for Man City the players were stood well back and apart from one another and then within five minutes they were pretty much standing on each others toes defending a corner. What was the point?

Brighton Sky Blue

We are 6th August. Selfishly hoping it doesn’t get put back another four weeks…. Just too close for comfort. Agreed we will just go with the scaled down reception now if we have to instead of postponing again.

Everyone going would be vaccinated. It doesn’t feel fair to be honest

Sky_Blue_Dreamer

This is the kind of stuff that gets people scared like it's either-or.

People not wanting to leave the house in case OAPs die.

But in many cases it was. People went back out, to work etc and we had a second wave that killed tens of thousands. And once it's done there's no going back. If they're dead they're dead and you'll never see them again. If you're looking to strike a balance that is one fat bastard on the other end of the seesaw. Take a look at the banner on this site. It's a stark reminder of what happened. And Fellatio was no OAP.

As I've said I'm hopeful, even confident, that the vaccinations will break that chain this time and we'll be able to cope much better this time around. But there will still be people that will lose somebody dear to them. And though it's selfish all we can do is hope we won't be one of those unlucky ones.

Brighton Sky Blue

But in many cases it was. People went back out, to work etc and we had a second wave that killed tens of thousands. And once it's done there's no going back. If they're dead they're dead and you'll never see them again. If you're looking to strike a balance that is one fat bastard on the other end of the seesaw. Take a look at the banner on this site. It's a stark reminder of what happened. And Fellatio was no OAP.

As I've said I'm hopeful, even confident, that the vaccinations will break that chain this time and we'll be able to cope much better this time around. But there will still be people that will lose somebody dear to them. And though it's selfish all we can do is hope we won't be one of those unlucky ones.

The state ultimately cannot prevent death and we tolerate thousands of flu death a year which, with full vaccination of the relevant groups, are the levels I see is getting from COVID each year. We cannot permanently close much of what makes society enjoyable

Evo1883

The state ultimately cannot prevent death and we tolerate thousands of flu death a year which, with full vaccination of the relevant groups, are the levels I see is getting from COVID each year. We cannot permanently close much of what makes society enjoyable

42 flu deaths a day on average , we don't even think about that in reality ...it's an accepted figure .

We need to find that with covid , the accepted figure

Sky_Blue_Dreamer

That's my point. I think the vaccinations will take us to that stage where it will be considered an acceptable level of deaths in relation to what else would be lost. As I said, we've all just got to hope we or our loved ones won't be one of those.

chiefdave

Another increase in hospitalisations today sadly. Still small numbers compared to where we were at one point but the highest level we've seen since mid-April. 24% increase yesterday followed by a 13% increase today is not the news we wanted.

As I say still small numbers compared to where we were a few months ago but seeing hospitalisations rise a week and a half after cases rose is exactly what we were hoping to avoid. Really hoping we see some good numbers in the first half of next week and that the increase in hospitalisations doesn't lead to an increase in deaths.

Last edited:

Brighton Sky Blue

Another increase in hospitalisations today sadly. Still small numbers compared to where we were at one point but the highest level we've seen since mid-April. 24% increase yesterday followed by a 13% increase today is not the news we wanted.

As I say still small numbers compared to where we were a few months ago but seeing cases rise a week and a half after cases rose is exactly what we were hoping to avoid. Really hoping we see some good numbers in the first half of next week and that the increase in hospitalisations don't lead to an increase in deaths.

Is there any further breakdown in the age of those admitted?

chiefdave

Is there any further breakdown in the age of those admitted?
Must exist but I haven't seen it yet. Quick glance through the latest PHE release and I can't spot it. Although even if hospitalisations by age are in there the figures are a few days behind so won't cover the increase. Cases are higher among younger age groups.

wingy

As I say still small numbers compared to where we were a few months ago but seeing hospitalisations rise a week and a half after cases rose is exactly what we were hoping to avoid. Really hoping we see some good numbers in the first half of next week and that the increase in hospitalisations doesn't lead to an increase in deaths.
I'm getting really fed up of % representation's, give me numbers?
Not you personally.

shmmeee

You know it’s bad when I start posting John Burn-Murdoch threads, most relevant tweet for me:

There is this though:

My question is what’s the admitted case capacity in the NHS and does that change if there’s a shift to a younger age profile? I can see why there’s concerns the NHS will get overwhelmed though.

Users who are viewing this thread