Coronavirus Thread (Off Topic, Politics) (15 Viewers)

Ian1779

pipkin73

Don't know where to start, i've stayed off here for a while as all it done was depress me.
A few notes (skim read tonight so might have missed loads more).

#Chiefdave
I've got a few ongoing health issues, hopefully, nothing major, but I'm at the point where I've looked into going private
as even pre-covid getting anything sorted was a nightmare.
Going private was pretty quickly ruled out when I saw the cost.

Tell me about it, I had to go private as the NHS only gave me pain killers to mask my pain (pain killers that made it worse as they masked the pain, so i continued to make the problem worse.
Once private i had an opp after 3 weeks (work insurance paid for it). NHS said nothing could be done and i rattled with all the tablets they had me taking. Ok, after several years i was back to square one and back in pain, but should the NHS not try to give you years pain free if they can. ?
It's why i moved out here when my job went, with the heat and less damp i'm in less pain.

PVA
No of course not, but Covid obviously has (or had) the potential to spread exponentially and overwhelm the hospitals
whereas cancer doesn't hold that same risk.

I lost my first fiancee to cancer, it is a long suffering disease for the person who has it and destroys the family and friends watching them go.
YES, at the start of Covid it had rightly been prioritized over cancer cases, but not now as the cases are so low.
Figures are showing only 2-5% had the vacination, most had turned it down.
WHY SHOULD A CANCER PATIENT DIE, because people refuse the vacination.

Evo1883

Someones shagged another chimp.
Odds-on they post on here.

giphy.gif

PVA

PVA
No of course not, but Covid obviously has (or had) the potential to spread exponentially and overwhelm the hospitals
whereas cancer doesn't hold that same risk.

I lost my first fiancee to cancer, it is a long suffering disease for the person who has it and destroys the family and friends watching them go.
YES, at the start of Covid it had rightly been prioritized over cancer cases, but not now as the cases are so low.
Figures are showing only 2-5% had the vacination, most had turned it down.
WHY SHOULD A CANCER PATIENT DIE, because people refuse the vacination.

I am well aware of the devastation cancer can cause, my family has suffered from it too (what family hasn't, I suppose), and I am very sorry to hear about your loss.

But I'm not sure what your point is. I'm not saying Covid patients should be prioritised over cancer patients now, is there any evidence that they are? The whole point is that Covid had to be prioritised in order to prevent the NHS being overwhelmed otherwise many, many more cancer patients would die. It's not a case of choosing to care for Covid patients and allowing cancer patients to die. It's choosing to care for Covid patients in order to save as many cancer patients as possible.

I can't believe we're still having this Covid v Cancer debate a year on!

Johnnythespider

My wife will be amongst those who are listed as refusing the jab, she did in fact attend and get her first jab the day before me, but the system hasn't recorded her attendance, she is now overdue her second dose while we wait for them to sort things out. On the plus side our 23 yr old has been invited to book his first jab.

Nick

Administrator
My wife will be amongst those who are listed as refusing the jab, she did in fact attend and get her first jab the day before me, but the system hasn't recorded her attendance, she is now overdue her second dose while we wait for them to sort things out. On the plus side our 23 yr old has been invited to book his first jab.

Did they not give her a card?

Saddlebrains

I had that problem.

Just truned up at a vaccine centre, shown them my card and explained the situation they gave me the second dose.

Just turn up they wont turn anyone away if youve got your card

Skybluefaz

why if he can do his job just as well wfh?
I've been going in once or twice a week for about the last 4 weeks. Really no better of productivty wise going in to the office. Just means I have to drive 60 miles a day and puts increased stress on family life as we have to shoot back from home to get kids from after school care. It is what it is though. I am surprised no flexibility has been offered.

shmmeee

I've been going in once or twice a week for about the last 4 weeks. Really no better of productivty wise going in to the office. Just means I have to drive 60 miles a day and puts increased stress on family life as we have to shoot back from home to get kids from after school care. It is what it is though. I am surprised no flexibility has been offered.

We have been given freedom as teams to decide what to do. Some aren’t coming in at all, some are in most days, some like my team are only in for collaboration reasons as it’s far easier to program at home in the quiet than in an office stuffed with loud salespeople.

I think employers who rigidly stick to outdated working practices are going to find it hard to attract staff TBH.

Brighton Sky Blue

I am well aware of the devastation cancer can cause, my family has suffered from it too (what family hasn't, I suppose), and I am very sorry to hear about your loss.

But I'm not sure what your point is. I'm not saying Covid patients should be prioritised over cancer patients now, is there any evidence that they are? The whole point is that Covid had to be prioritised in order to prevent the NHS being overwhelmed otherwise many, many more cancer patients would die. It's not a case of choosing to care for Covid patients and allowing cancer patients to die. It's choosing to care for Covid patients in order to save as many cancer patients as possible.

I can't believe we're still having this Covid v Cancer debate a year on!

Patients I get, people not even being able to have scans confuses me though

shmmeee

Does bother me that the government is going to get a free pass on NHS funding and the economy after this. They can just point at COVID and shrug their shoulders when a good chunk of my 18 month wait for an appointment is their underfunding.

Brighton Sky Blue

I had that problem.

Just truned up at a vaccine centre, shown them my card and explained the situation they gave me the second dose.

Just turn up they wont turn anyone away if youve got your card

Yeah getting a bit worried by these as not given a second slot and received the first one at a local hospital after invitation by my health centre. Mrs BSB who booked on the national system got both appointments

chiefdave

Does bother me that the government is going to get a free pass on NHS funding and the economy after this. They can just point at COVID and shrug their shoulders when a good chunk of my 18 month wait for an appointment is their underfunding.
Spot on. When did we last get through a winter without the NHS being on its knees and reports of a crisis and patients being stuck in ambulances queuing outside hospitals?

shmmeee

Just been invited to book my second shot by my GP but I’ve got a booking in July made when I did my first at Stoneleigh. Does this mean I can have it earlier? It’s only been a month since my first.

Saddlebrains

Yeah getting a bit worried by these as not given a second slot and received the first one at a local hospital after invitation by my health centre. Mrs BSB who booked on the national system got both appointments

Exactly what happened to me, turn up with your card and details and it shouldnt be a problem as long as its explained

Saddlebrains

Just been invited to book my second shot by my GP but I’ve got a booking in July made when I did my first at Stoneleigh. Does this mean I can have it earlier? It’s only been a month since my first.

Think theyre focusing on second jabs asap at the moment due to supply and the fact that double jabbing seems to beat this indian variant

chiefdave

Pretty much. That's what happened to me. Had my second booked in and got a call from the doctor saying I could have it earlier.

Nick

Administrator
We have been given freedom as teams to decide what to do. Some aren’t coming in at all, some are in most days, some like my team are only in for collaboration reasons as it’s far easier to program at home in the quiet than in an office stuffed with loud salespeople.

I think employers who rigidly stick to outdated working practices are going to find it hard to attract staff TBH.

I find it much easier to code at a desk in a proper setup. Just put my headphones on to drown our any noise.

Sat at home I don't get motivated to code stuff :(

Asking people to work from an office is hardly outdated though ha

bezzer

Yes you can. I had my second jab 4 weeks after my first.

shmmeee

I find it much easier to code at a desk in a proper setup. Just put my headphones on to drown our any noise.

Sat at home I don't get motivated to code stuff :(

Asking people to work from an office is hardly outdated though ha

Get a better home office. Each to their own but I’ve always coded with my feet up and music on so happier at home, it was unanimous in my team that everyone wanted to code from home. Maybe we have a particularly annoying work environment :D

Nick

Administrator
Get a better home office. Each to their own but I’ve always coded with my feet up and music on so happier at home, it was unanimous in my team that everyone wanted to code from home. Maybe we have a particularly annoying work environment :D

Yeah there is that.

Oh yeah if I had the choice I would work from home but I would get less done :)

chiefdave

Same at our place, went round everyone and not a single person said they wanted to go back into the office full time. Looks like at most people will be in two days a week and then only if they want to. Productivity has increased since people have been working from home so why wouldn't you continue it.

My office is home is better than I had a work. I was in a windowless tiny office in a Regus Centre. Freezing cold in winter and red hot in summer. Now I've got a bigger room, better setup and looking out over the garden with the dog at my feet.

Obviously its not for everyone and companies still need an office presence but there seems little to gain by forcing everyone back into the office.

Users who are viewing this thread