Coronavirus Thread (Off Topic, Politics) (18 Viewers)

Johnnythespider

I knew Dave, his family live 4 doors away, he was a lovely bloke, he always stopped to say hello and chat, it was gut wrenching watching last night, so sad for his family and friends.

chiefdave

Was thinking the news reports of lockdown being extended due to the B.1.617.2 were just media talk but listening to Cleverly this morning it sounds very much like it could happen. Very much back to the 'following the science' line which they tend to use when something they think will be unpopular is on the horizon.

Will be very frustrating, to say the least, if restrictions are extend as once again the government dithered over acting on the situation in India. Looks like that extra week without India on the red list has allowed the variant into the wild and we're now seeing community transmission.

The good news is it looks like the vaccines are effective against it.

Sky Blue Pete

Was thinking the news reports of lockdown being extended due to the B.1.617.2 were just media talk but listening to Cleverly this morning it sounds very much like it could happen. Very much back to the 'following the science' line which they tend to use when something they think will be unpopular is on the horizon.

Will be very frustrating, to say the least, if restrictions are extend as once again the government dithered over acting on the situation in India. Looks like that extra week without India on the red list has allowed the variant into the wild and we're now seeing community transmission.

The good news is it looks like the vaccines are effective against it.
Yep radio 5 this morning the lady scientist or doctor was saying the variant is leading to outbreaks in Bolton and other towns. Initially in schools and that age group. Saying border control essential and not just red lists etc. Saying way too soon to stop masks and social distancing.
Not clear on nature of variant on age groups or death rates or long Covid in India so we need to be cautious. Only 25% of people fully vaccinated

Still on cautious optimism for me. We need to start to learn how to live with it and that includes a worldwide vaccination solution as well as getting back to normal with shops pubs routine operations, outdoor and indoor sport.

NorthernWisdom

Yep radio 5 this morning the lady scientist or doctor was saying the variant is leading to outbreaks in Bolton and other towns. Initially in schools and that age group. Saying border control essential and not just red lists etc. Saying way too soon to stop masks and social distancing.
Not clear on nature of variant on age groups or death rates or long Covid in India so we need to be cautious. Only 25% of people fully vaccinated

Still on cautious optimism for me. We need to start to learn how to live with it and that includes a worldwide vaccination solution as well as getting back to normal with shops pubs routine operations, outdoor and indoor sport.
What we're not doing is imposing local restrictions and stopping it spreading outside of those regions, which you'd think we'd have learned from Australia, New Zealand, and ourselves before would be the way to stop us having to go, belatedly, national.

fernandopartridge

The vaccination programme needs to speed up, my local centre is closed now often that not. The. NHS England are sitting on a stockpile of vaccines, they need to get them into people instead of fucking about.

chiefdave

The vaccination programme needs to speed up, my local centre is closed now often that not. The. NHS England are sitting on a stockpile of vaccines, they need to get them into people instead of fucking about.
Can't see that they would not be going as quickly as possible, what would be the advantage in that? The only time my local centre has stopped vaccinating is when they have got too far ahead of the rest of the country and been told to pause. Guess they don't want any accusations of it being a post code lottery.

Nick

Administrator
Notice the seed has been planted for the June 21st possibly being delayed because of the "Indian Variant".

Nick

Administrator

The place I need to go has been closed most of the week and only day I could book was Sunday.

SkyBlueDom26

Such a load of BS about this Indian variant keeping us from fully reopening, its not more deadly but is more transmissible! So why when everybody who's older/vunerable have had their jabs do we need to still have social distancing measures? It doesn't make sense

Hopefully people will stand up against it now because it seems like the goalposts will be moved forever

chiefdave

Such a load of BS about this Indian variant keeping us from fully reopening, its not more deadly but is more transmissible! So why when everybody who's older/vunerable have had their jabs do we need to still have social distancing measures? It doesn't make sense

Hopefully people will stand up against it now because it seems like the goalposts will be moved forever

jordan210

I guess it doesn't help if under 40s aren't getting the AZ one any more?

The wording for that was a bit odd. Said offered alternative if available.

My missies had her jab, Had the NHS text and the other day got a text from a GP about 200 miles away saying she could book. Think they might have had the wrong number haha

jordan210

Young people will be higher in the numbers in UK due to older people having the vaccine. As we know it cuts transmission. As long as hospital admissions are falling there realy isn't an issue with variants.

The main issue is making sure communities in hotspots are given the correct facts and choice about the vaccine. Rather than relying on hear say. Community leaders have a big part to play in this.

samccov1987

Be interesting what they do re all restrictions going on the 21st June. The vibe on the news this morning certainly seems like that may not be the case.

Always felt Boris was jumping the gun a bit to say all restrictions gone before everyone has had chance of vaccine. Likewise travel abroad - should we really allow it at this point?

Keep sensible social distancing measures like wfh and masks in shops and public transport until we’ve all been jabbed. It may seem ultra cautious but for the sake of an extra couple of months what’s the harm?

SkyBlueDom26

June 21st is when we get back to living our lives, this is just becoming ridiculous now constantly moving the goalposts.....hopefully people do what they want from June21st

SkyBlueDom26

Nick

Administrator
Said it before that a "variant" will mean there's more lockdown, rinse and repeat every single time.

Grendel

Said it before that a "variant" will mean there's more lockdown, rinse and repeat every single time.

I don’t think it will

chiefdave

Hardly anybody that's young will get seriously ill and all the vunerable youngsters will have been vaccinated.....so whats the reason to delay June 21st?
Have you read the article? It quotes Indian doctors saying there's a huge surge in younger patients, with 65% of hospital admissions under 45. Also talks about symptomatic cases in children under the age of 12 when there was virtually none prior to the variant.

Of course we need to open back up as soon as possible and to a certain extent we have to learn to live with it. I'm hoping that as more data comes in it will be shown that it is safe to proceed as planned but it would be foolish to once again ignore the experts and end up back in lockdown for an extended amount of time. I'd rather have a couple more weeks now than be back in lockdown for months again.

Hopefully this time it actually sinks in that when the experts are telling you that people from a certain country need to be quarantined the government actually takes action.

Nick

Administrator
Have you read the article? It quotes Indian doctors saying there's a huge surge in younger patients, with 65% of hospital admissions under 45. Also talks about symptomatic cases in children under the age of 12 when there was virtually none prior to the variant.

Of course we need to open back up as soon as possible and to a certain extent we have to learn to live with it. I'm hoping that as more data comes in it will be shown that it is safe to proceed as planned but it would be foolish to once again ignore the experts and end up back in lockdown for an extended amount of time. I'd rather have a couple more weeks now than be back in lockdown for months again.

Hopefully this time it actually sinks in that when the experts are telling you that people from a certain country need to be quarantined the government actually takes action.

How about we just stop people coming over from India full stop until they have sorted their shit?

SkyBlueDom26

SAGE would want us locked down forever if it was up to them, its time we moved on and learnt to live with it

Users who are viewing this thread