Coronavirus Thread (Off Topic, Politics) (9 Viewers)

Grendel

NorthernWisdom

Why? Did Israel lift most restrictions in March?
Well here's why.

If we're saying that other nations are having issues because of a vaccine efficacy of 50%, then with one dose, we're looking similar. Now, this paper is encouraging, in that it supports the UK government's policy of longer time spans between doses. However, the Oxford efficacy appears to be down at 55.1% if doses given less than six weeks apart. That's also having had two doses, rather than just one. One dose offers no protection against asymptomatic infection, so you can still heartily spread away, although of course not showing symptoms means you're less likely to be coughing in peoples' faces!

So, if you're expecting to remove masks and distancing (and Johnson said just the other day that he expected distancing to go June 21st, all things being equal - then again, this is the same bloke who was off to see his Mum on Mother's Day last year, and that didn't exactly go as he planned!), then many people will be down in the realms of said Chinese vaccine as they won't have received both doses, and many will be on 0% as they won't have received any. Couple that with an efficacy of 81% after two doses 12 weeks apart, and you're looking at spread.

The encouraging thing, is it does seem even if you catch it after being vaccinated, you're pretty unlucky to catch it badly, which is the primary aim (I can't be bothered to check what the comparison with the Chinese vaccine is in that respect), but it's also about reducing spread to squash it, and therefore reduce risk of mutation / cases rising due to increased contact meaning increased transmission.

Last edited:

NorthernWisdom

Single dose AZ is around 70% efficacy for first 90 days
Of getting symptomatic Covid - 76% according to cited trial.

I can see the confusion as it summarises for brevity earlier, but:

A single standard dose had an efficacy against symptomatic COVID-19 in the first 90 days of 76·0% (59·3 to 85·9), yet provided no protection against asymptomatic infection (vaccine efficacy −17·2% [–248·6 to 60·6]). Notably, efficacy against any nucleic acid amplification test-positive cases, including symptomatic and asymptomatic or unknown cases, was 63·9% (46·0 to 75·9) after a single standard dose, suggesting the possibility of reducing viral transmission.

So yes, a single dose may well reduce transmission (probably does! But not tested to be certain yet) but, if you remove masks and distancing, that's quite a leap to compensate for said reduction if you're doing that off the back of some, having one.

Last edited:

shmmeee

Surely if you’re asymptomatic you’re less contagious?

We started seeing a vaccine effect in the data well before second doses start which would suggest whatever the trial data says one dose does prevent spread as well as deaths.

jordan210

Doesn't appear to be any rhyme of reason to jab booking lately.

Partner had hers 2 weeks ago. As council arranged spares for teachers. Last week she got a text saying its time to book hers. She is a year younger than me !

shmmeee

Doesn't appear to be any rhyme of reason to jab booking lately.

Partner had hers 2 weeks ago. As council arranged spares for teachers. Last week she got a text saying its time to book hers. She is a year younger than me !

I got my GP text a week after I’d booked online. How old are you?

Grendel

Well here's why.

If we're saying that other nations are having issues because of a vaccine efficacy of 50%, then with one dose, we're looking similar. Now, this paper is encouraging, in that it supports the UK government's policy of longer time spans between doses. However, the Oxford efficacy appears to be down at 55.1% if doses given less than six weeks apart. That's also having had two doses, rather than just one. One dose offers no protection against asymptomatic infection, so you can still heartily spread away, although of course not showing symptoms means you're less likely to be coughing in peoples' faces!

So, if you're expecting to remove masks and distancing (and Johnson said just the other day that he expected distancing to go June 21st, all things being equal - then again, this is the same bloke who was off to see his Mum on Mother's Day last year, and that didn't exactly go as he planned!), then many people will be down in the realms of said Chinese vaccine as they won't have received both doses, and many will be on 0% as they won't have received any. Couple that with an efficacy of 81% after two doses 12 weeks apart, and you're looking at spread.

The encouraging thing, is it does seem even if you catch it after being vaccinated, you're pretty unlucky to catch it badly, which is the primary aim (I can't be bothered to check what the comparison with the Chinese vaccine is in that respect), but it's also about reducing spread to squash it, and therefore reduce risk of mutation / cases rising due to increased contact meaning increased transmission.

But by June 21st vulnerable age groups and those vulnerable will have been
Offered two doses won’t they?

NorthernWisdom

But by June 21st vulnerable age groups and those vulnerable will have been
Offered two doses won’t they?
I'll refer you back to the fact that risk of hospitalisation for over 40s is high enough, that if you remove masks, and also distancing, then the risk goes up quite a lot. They also have reclassified a number of people with asthma too, of course. Now, that can be a positive thing (evidence emerges that it's not as much of a risk to them!) but it does show we're a constantly moving feast atm.

Increase transmission, you increase cases. I don't quite understand tbh the resistance to masks inside for a few more weeks, to suppress it properly. Right at the beginning of this, we decided we only had a few cases, nothing to worry about, after all. Why not, having got this far, suppress it all the more and maximise the chances of no restrctions going forward - at all? A few weeks of masks and politely stepping back from people doesn't stop society from functioning.

Grendel

I'll refer you back to the fact that risk of hospitalisation for over 40s is high enough, that if you remove masks, and also distancing, then the risk goes up quite a lot.

Increase transmission, you increase cases. I don't quite understand tbh the resistance to masks inside for a few more weeks, to suppress it properly. Right at the beginning of this, we decided we only had a few cases, nothing to worry about, after all. Why not, having got this far, suppress it all the more and maximise the chances of no restrctions going forward - at all?

Hardly anyone has died of the virus under 50 though and one dose diminishes hospitalisation dramatically

Last summer also for whatever reason there was no obvious immediate spread due to the packed beaches etc.

There has to be a cut off point or a lot of unrest will occur. I’m sure some will wear masks anyway. Personally as soon as I don’t have to I won’t

Sick Boy

Sat waiting after my jab. Amazed by how orderly and efficient it’s all been. We should’ve got the NHS to handle Brexit.
The army have taken control of the logistics here. I went to see if there were any spares the other day at the local military base that’s now a vaccination centre and had to speak to a guy carrying a huge machine gun at the entrance.

jordan210

She got any medical complaints at all? At a different surgery to you? Think texts are the GP way of doing things.

Nope both at same surgery.If anything I have more medical than here. Her text was from NHS rather than surgery. Only thing I can think. is if they sent texts to people who had the jab via other means to tick them off as a jab offered.

NorthernWisdom

Can’t be much longer now. I’ll be booking mine on the nhs website as I’m not currently registered with a doctor.
Sorry, just being nosy. Surely you're registered somewhere, even if it's from 15 years ago?

For ages my doctor was here, while I lived 200 miles away(!)

Then I started getting middle aged, and needed to start going for aches, pains, and for a man to stick his hand up my bottom to check my prostate...

chiefdave

Israel just released latest data on Pfizer, 95% efficacy after 2 jabs.
According to Our World In Data Israel are up to 58.5% fully vaccinated, compared to our 23.4% so any data from there is going to give us a good indicator of what we can expect.

Looks like from 7am today Israel are relaxing their restrictions. The Green Pass mentioned is a vaccine passport, Purple Badge is limited numbers with mandatory social distancing and mask wearing,.
  1. Gathering restrictions increased to 50 people indoors and 500 people outdoors
  2. Gyms, sports facilities, swimming pools and indoor attractions are cleared for operating subject to the Purple Badge requirements
  3. All restrictions, including gathering restrictions, are lifted for establishments that opted to operate subject to the Green Pass requirements. It should be stressed: Only Green Pass holders may enter these establishments.
  4. Occupancy restrictions for all establishments that opted to operate subject to the Purple Badge have been unified, at a ratio of one person per every 7 square meters.
  5. Events (such as shows aimed at children) may be held according to the following conditions: Seated spectating only, outdoors only, up to 500 people, no Green Pass required.

Last edited:

SBAndy

The army have taken control of the logistics here. I went to see if there were any spares the other day at the local military base that’s now a vaccination centre and had to speak to a guy carrying a huge machine gun at the entrance.

Was it a machine gun or was he just pleased to see you?

David O'Day

Surely if you’re asymptomatic you’re less contagious?

We started seeing a vaccine effect in the data well before second doses start which would suggest whatever the trial data says one dose does prevent spread as well as deaths.

Why would you be? Asymptomatic carriers virus are just as contagious.

Studies that show otherwise please

hill83

no and not registered with a gp that is why I was asking - you'll be fine then. Takes about 5 minutes with the nhs number

I spent about 4 weeks trying to get it about 5 years ago. I used to be registered at a doctors in Hillfields when I was a kid but that was closed about 20 years ago so I couldn’t find my info. Ended up ringing around for ages as the doctors in wyken wouldn’t register me without it even though they are supposed to.

shmmeee

I’ve been registered in Holbrooks despite living in Finham/Earlsdon for the last three years because it was impossible to manage registering elsewhere and I just gave up. Moving to Bedduth tomorrow and will probably just keep it there. Should be much easier to change GP.

Users who are viewing this thread