Coronavirus Thread (Off Topic, Politics) (18 Viewers)

Sky Blue Pete

Also I feel bad that some countries have no vaccines and we are celebrating 15m this and that. I’m pleased but also feel a little guilty

Earlsdon_Skyblue1

have they threatened to cut off supply? That's not how it was being reported earlier before I left for work and it's not how Zahawi seemed to interpret events either.
As for them not giving the Oxford vaccine the green light that's there issue, more for us in the mean time hopefully.

Unfortunately it looks like it comes down to who you believe again, but below is about the most impartial I can find (Not the BBC, Guardian, Daily Mail, or Express)

They haven't even approved it yet, and the UK had an agreement in place three months before they did. Considering how we have handled the virus being a complete shambles, it is impressive that we have done this and I think there is a little bit of bitterness from the EU. That last bit is my personal opinion of course, but the EU certainly don't come out of this looking good, and people that try to defend them are losing credibility at this point.

fernandopartridge

My view on the EU is

1. They’ve every right to chase AZ to meet their contractual obligations
2. They would be completely wrong to enact any ban of exports from the EU to third countries (not just the UK but this includes a lot of very poor 3rd world countries)
3. Aggregated buying at EU level possibly didn’t make much sense

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

clint van damme

Unfortunately it looks like it comes down to who you believe again, but below is about the most impartial I can find (Not the BBC, Guardian, Daily Mail, or Express)

They haven't even approved it yet, and the UK had an agreement in place three months before they did. Considering how we have handled the virus being a complete shambles, it is impressive that we have done this and I think there is a little bit of bitterness from the EU. That last bit is my personal opinion of course, but the EU certainly don't come out of this looking good, and people that try to defend them are losing credibility at this point.

in every article I've read there is this quote:

" “In the future, all companies producing vaccines against Covid-19 in the EU will have to provide early notification whenever they want to export vaccines to third countries,” she said. "

That doesn't explicitly say they would stop supply and Nadhim Zahawi didn't think so either though I appreciate it wouldn't be wise of him not to ramp up the rhetoric.

CCFCSteve

tbh, if ever there were something fo[r the world to collaborate with, rather than bid against each other, it was this.

The mutations show until the whole world is vaccinated, there's still a threat.

100% NW ! Little fanfare about it today but read that we’ve offered to assist with other countries genomics to help them spot new variants (helps us as well but by helping the wider world)

Whilst we may have made a mess with some of the decisions taken to better protect the country, in relation to some of the science related stuff; discovering drugs that better treat Covid, funding Oxfords not for profit vaccine development and also the above, we should be proud that we have been doing our bit for the greater good.

Brighton Sky Blue

Also I feel bad that some countries have no vaccines and we are celebrating 15m this and that. I’m pleased but also feel a little guilty

You shouldn't. Over 1,000 deaths a day, top death toll in Europe, we aren't at the front of the queue without some moral justification

David O'Day

" “In the future, all companies producing vaccines against Covid-19 in the EU will have to provide early notification whenever they want to export vaccines to third countries,” she said. "

That doesn't explicitly say they would stop supply and Nadhim Zahawi didn't think so either though I appreciate it wouldn't be wise of him not to ramp up the rhetoric.

That's the first step in being to stop the export

Earlsdon_Skyblue1

I've seen that quote many times too, but it is clear to me what it means. The EU are putting in new rules to tighten the export of vaccines to countries not in it, aka The UK.

It is a deliberate attempt to jump in front and it is fuelled by a vindictive streak, absolutely no question. If it was the other way round you would have a lot of people who voted remain screaming about it. I think this will harm the block going forwards.

shmmeee

It still does mean an awful lot of people who will of had the jab will still die until the top-up of the second vaccination.

Maths checks out above 47.5% efficacy at one dose though:

100 ppl one dose: 47.5 infections prevented
50 ppl two doses: 47.5 infections prevented

only real question is can we get supply of the second dose on time (whatever that time may be)

Philosorapter

Maths checks out above 47.5% efficacy at one dose though:

100 ppl one dose: 47.5 infections prevented
50 ppl two doses: 47.5 infections prevented

only real question is can we get supply of the second dose on time (whatever that time may be)

Does anyone know the mortality rates for the top priority groups compared with the rest of the groups?

Philosorapter

Over 25,000 deaths in care homes.

From 60% effective for the first dose to 90% for the second dose. I can't remember the exact figures. surely you would want to vaccinate this group of people with a second dose as fast as possible?

The chances of survival grow enormously with the second jab.

It is more than 'just a top-up'.

These are figures from the first two waves.

Last edited:

Evo1883

I failed 3 temperature tests at work this morning and need to get a test before I can return which is fine... However I don't think il be having my heating on full blast on route to work again... Because I took my temperature at home and it was 35.9 twice

Skybluefaz

I failed 3 temperature tests at work this morning and need to get a test before I can return which is fine... However I don't think il be having my heating on full blast on route to work again... Because I took my temperature at home and it was 35.9 twice
I suppose fair play to them for being careful, you're not gonna lose out on pay because of it are you? Cos that would be shit.

Evo1883

I suppose fair play to them for being careful, you're not gonna lose out on pay because of it are you? Cos that would be shit.
I am... Sadly.

But I agree in principle thy have done the correct thing.. It is Coventry Council so you'd expect it.
I felt hot when I got out the car, heating was on full whack didn't think but these forehead readers are just taking skin temp and it's clear to me the heating has knackered me up 😂

clint van damme

I've seen that quote many times too, but it is clear to me what it means. The EU are putting in new rules to tighten the export of vaccines to countries not in it, aka The UK.

It is a deliberate attempt to jump in front and it is fuelled by a vindictive streak, absolutely no question. If it was the other way round you would have a lot of people who voted remain screaming about it. I think this will harm the block going forwards.

The main driver for my opinion is the interview i saw yesterday with Zahawi who didn't think it was a big deal.

But to flip the argument there are suddenly people appearing on this thread who haven't commented on any of the following:

The PPE debacle
The track and trace debacle
The cronyism surrounding the awarding of contracts for both of the above.
The failure to close our borders
The decision to leave London in tier 2 before Christmas
And ultimately the highest deaths per capita in the world

Yet there's some perceived aggression from the EU and they're on here!!

Skybluefaz

I am... Sadly.

But I agree in principle thy have done the correct thing.. It is Coventry Council so you'd expect it.
I felt hot when I got out the car, heating was on full whack didn't think but these forehead readers are just taking skin temp and it's clear to me the heating has knackered me up 😂
Fair play for doing the right thing, not that you have much choice. Not right that people are losing out on money because of a potentially dodgy temp reading though.

clint van damme

I am... Sadly.

go and get a lateral flow test, you'll have the results in under an hour.

Sky Blue Pete

glad Boris takes full responsibility but as for keeping a straight face when he says the government did everything they could to minimise loss of life I say yeah right

I wonder what taking full responsibility means? I also wonder if tragedy had touched any of the cabinet their response would have been different

clint van damme

glad Boris takes full responsibility but as for keeping a straight face when he says the government did everything they could to minimise loss of life I say yeah right

I wonder what taking full responsibility means? I also wonder if tragedy had touched any of the cabinet their response would have been different

I remember when politicians would resign because they'd had an affair. Now they can get away with the deaths of 100k people. Even in his apology he told a lie, he can't help himself.

Sky Blue Pete

I remember when politicians would resign because they'd had an affair. Now they can get away with the deaths of 100k people. Even in his apology he told a lie, he can't help himself.
If an interviewee gave the answer I’d have done nothing differently they rarely get the job but that’s what we’re to believe in this. Nothing could have been done differently, we've just been unlucky in the UK. Just insane utter denial and I’m really very angry about it this morning. In fact I’m so pissed off

Good radio 4 interview lady so good at asking specifics when the answer is we’ve done everything honourably and the future is really important ffs

Brighton Sky Blue

I get the feeling he wants to say ‘well they’re dead now what do you want me to do about it’

David O'Day

We got in there first so the contract should be honoured. End of story as far as I'm concerned.

The EU's argument is they paid in full up front and thus partly funded the research of the vaccine.

Sadly this isn't going to go away and AZ will need to sort something out as the EU isn't going to sit back and accept only 605 ofg the vaccines it needs.

Users who are viewing this thread