Coronavirus Thread (Off Topic, Politics) (18 Viewers)

clint van damme

Best mate taken into hospital this morning. Not too good. Steroids antibiotics and oxygen. He’s pretty overweight and has a high powered stressful job. Quite upbeat but it does bring it home to you.

Another overweight friend with diabetes in Sheffield spent about 10 days in hospital. Came out last week. He feels if he’d gone in in the peak he wouldn’t have come out. Once people have had a friend or member of their family affected they stop talking shit

currently watching a programme about Covid on ITV.
An ICU nurse said he's never seen anything like it including the aftermath of terrorist attacks but I'm sure a few experts on here know better.

shmmeee

Did you stop working while you studied? I'd barely be able to afford a week off unpaid let alone months!

Worked two and a half days a week doing supply. Dropped my living costs as much as possible, though did initially live off the wife. Marriage broke down the first time halfway through my course so moved in with parents. Saying it now obviously not as easy as I make it sound :D

Philosorapter

I can't find what I am looking for but it does look like Greater Manchester and Lancashire will be going into Level 3 Lockdown tomorrow (Wednesday) as well.

It does make it sound like the government is doing stuff whilst the virus is growing to a point where people are dropping like flies all over the country.

Great to see the politicians arguing with each other about this first round of lockdowns whilst the virus increases throughout the land leading to more deaths.

Does anyone know the rationality of why Coventry has not gone into Tier 2 whilst other local authorities in the area with lower rates of infection have?

Last edited:

chiefdave

Does anyone know the rationaliy of why Coventry has not gone into Tier 2 whilst other local authorities in the area with lower rates of infection have?
All seems a bit random. The government seems incapable of taking charge if they're telling places they should be in certain tiers but having local authorities reject it. Add in there's seemingly no threshold for going in to certain tiers and it all seems a bit like guesswork which yet again makes it harder to get the public onside.

Ian1779

Fair bit of Corona going through the schools.
Constantly fiddling with the guidance to keep numbers being sent home as low as possible.
Will go to shit though when we have teacher directly spreading to pupil or vice versa.

Philosorapter

All seems a bit random. The government seems incapable of taking charge if they're telling places they should be in certain tiers but having local authorities reject it. Add in there's seemingly no threshold for going in to certain tiers and it all seems a bit like guesswork which yet again makes it harder to get the public onside.

Has CCC been offered the chance to go into Tier 2 but choose to support the local economy rather then the well being of its residents?

Kieranp96

Corbyn the original leaver?
Coming from the guy who says China ‘made’ the virus and that we’re only top of the death league because we’re better at recording than everyone else
I never once said they made the virus, I said they lied about it and who didn't do there proper research and that caused it to spread everywhere rather than locking down the country way before they did had they simply done there job.

Feel free to go back and check.

Jamesimus

Feel free to show me a major country with over 60m doing well.

Hi Kieran. Even though you don't seem to be able to take on any of the information given to you I thought I'd try again...

We are currently...

8th in the world total deaths

4th in the world total of new cases for today

12th in the world total of deaths per 1 million of population

5th in the world total number of deaths

(Please bear in mind excess deaths show OUR deaths have likely been under-reported)

We are the 21st most populated country and the 14th most densely populated.

When are you going to check how "well" the government are doing in comparison with other countries?

Sky Blue Harry H

I got 4 As at A-Level, including English Lang and Lit and a 2:1 from Sussex uni, which has an excellent reputation for Eng Lit...considered a PGCE as an English teacher and got turned down because I didn’t have a Maths GCSE...I took the exam about 6 times and just couldn’t pass it.
That's madness. 4 As at A level should be enough to indicate suitable intelligence to teach. Although if you are that smart, how come you follow City😂?

Brighton Sky Blue

I never once said they made the virus, I said they lied about it and who didn't do there proper research and that caused it to spread everywhere rather than locking down the country way before they did had they simply done there job.

You keep saying how ‘convenient’ it all is. Tells me you think they deliberately started it

Kieranp96

Hi Kieran. Even though you don't seem to be able to take on any of the information given to you I thought I'd try again...

We are currently...

8th in the world total deaths

4th in the world total of new cases for today

12th in the world total of deaths per 1 million of population

5th in the world total number of deaths

(Please bear in mind excess deaths show OUR deaths have likely been under-reported)

We are the 21st most populated country and the 14th most densely populated.

When are you going to check how "well" the government are doing in comparison with other countries?
They ain't doing well though 😂, Italy today 8k cases, netherlands 8k cases Germany like 5k last time. I checked.

Kieranp96

You keep saying how ‘convenient’ it all is. Tells me you think they deliberately started it
I don't thi k it was deliberately started, I just belive China lied and tried to cover up how much shit they were in and who had reports of human to human transmission in like October and they went and looked and reported it wasn't true now look, I'm not blaming them alone there's 1000s of contributing things that could of been done different including flights from certain areas earlier,

Flying Fokker

Haven't read much of the thread, but I wish the government would shut everything down for 4 weeks, give all adults (18plus) £2-3k each to cover that period, so that people can pay bills, eat etc. Businesses don't have to pay staff for this period and hopefully we disrupt/break the threat of this virus. Feels like it wouldn't cost any more than the piecemeal measures. Probably laughably naive solution, otherwise they would have implemented something similar, but tweaking aside, it would protect most people and most businesses.
National basic income in anything but name for a period of 6 months. There has to be a way of getting through this. if They can afford to pay £2500/ month for some for 6 Months then they need to be creative now As well.

chiefdave

Yeah but would you rather live in Italy.
Speaking of which Italian friend of mine, who lives in London, is heading back to Italy to stay with her parents. Reckons when she gets there she will be tested and get the results within 30 minutes, with a negative test meaning no quarantine.

If that's possible in Italy why was Johnson only a few days ago talking about the £100bn cost of Operation Moonshot? And why has it now been seemingly abandoned?

Jamesimus

Speaking of which Italian friend of mine, who lives in London, is heading back to Italy to stay with her parents. Reckons when she gets there she will be tested and get the results within 30 minutes, with a negative test meaning no quarantine.

If that's possible in Italy why was Johnson only a few days ago talking about the £100bn cost of Operation Moonshot? And why has it now been seemingly abandoned?

Yep, my friend went over recently. Test with result in 30 mins from getting off the plane.

Sky Blue Pete

I don't thi k it was deliberately started, I just belive China lied and tried to cover up how much shit they were in and who had reports of human to human transmission in like October and they went and looked and reported it wasn't true now look, I'm not blaming them alone there's 1000s of contributing things that could of been done different including flights from certain areas earlier,
They didn’t

Kieranp96

Yes. We had nearly 19,000 new cases today...
They are behind us, Italy only had 800 cases 13 days ago, d there's a guy on n here crediting the goverment of Italy for making sure everyone wears mask giving praise ect and that's worked out well come 2 weeks later.

Users who are viewing this thread