Coronavirus Thread (Off Topic, Politics) (18 Viewers)

David O'Day

That’s exactly what they’ve done. It’s not possible to make the app usable by any more people.

Ok skippy you can't have a qr reading app or a bluetooth app on an old phone

David O'Day

1600954870742.png

Correct me if I am wrong but that reads like the employer is paying the employee for more hours than they have worked?

If so how does this save any jobs?

chiefdave

View attachment 17063

Correct me if I am wrong but that reads like the employer is paying the employee for more hours than they have worked?

Reads that way to me. An important point here is that a lot of those who are employed in salaried roles, as opposed to paid by the hour, had to sign amended contracts to allow them to be furloughed. A lot of those amended contracts also allowed employers to reduce hours, and therefore pay, if and when the employee came off furlough.

Means that for many an employer could, for example, bring you back for a 33% of your hours and pay you 33% of your salary, or they can bring you back for 33% of your hours and pay you 55% of your salary with the government adding 22%. You're relying on a lot of companies to do the right thing when experience suggests they will do whatever makes them the most money.

Also if you're in an industry that still isn't permitted to operate you're completely screwed and get nothing.

shmmeee

Ok skippy you can't have a qr reading app or a bluetooth app on an old phone

You can’t run an new OS (which is needed thanks to privacy measures for background apps) on an old device.

You can’t run Bluetooth constantly on old devices you need a BLE chip, which isn’t on very old iPhones and a lot of old Androids.

The QR part is a tiny part. The always on contact tracing is the important bit. You can scan a QR code and check in with any device already.

What about featurephones with no app capability? What about cheap phones without BLE? What about 2G phones? What about people with no phones?

The choice is always have a cut off or don’t do it. There is no 100% inclusive solution.

fernandopartridge

Not sure where thats come from but it aint right.

Furlough already covered about 40bn of wages..... This is a fraction of the cost....approx. £5bn according to capital economics estimate..

It is pathetic tbh,
View attachment 17063

Yeah, it's ridiculous

Somebody on £10 p/h on 40 hours p/w contract.

33% of pay is £132
Remainder is £268
Employer and govt pay £88 each of it

Employee hourly rate (paid by employer) goes up to £16.53

Good old Tories, delivering pay rises

shmmeee

Don’t get this new furlough scheme at all. Why would an employer keep two or three people on under this scheme over sacking all but one and keeping them full time?

David O'Day

You can’t run an new OS (which is needed thanks to privacy measures for background apps) on an old device.

You can’t run Bluetooth constantly on old devices you need a BLE chip, which isn’t on very old iPhones and a lot of old Androids.

The QR part is a tiny part. The always on contact tracing is the important bit. You can scan a QR code and check in with any device already.

What about featurephones with no app capability? What about cheap phones without BLE? What about 2G phones? What about people with no phones?

The choice is always have a cut off or don’t do it. There is no 100% inclusive solution.

No you make a simplified version, if you need maximum take up you make it available to the most people.

Kieranp96

Only qualify if you work less than your original hours, so what? Company's will be reducing hours so they can qualify for the scheme

chiefdave

It's 6 months and making people redundant in the UK is cheap.
Quick google says the average length of employment in the UK is 4.5 years. Given you don't get redundancy pay until you've been employed for 2 years you've got to imagine most companies could make a significant number of redundancies without paying out.

David O'Day

Quick google says the average length of employment in the UK is 4.5 years. Given you don't get redundancy pay until you've been employed for 2 years you've got to imagine most companies could make a significant number of redundancies without paying out.

Yep and that is the madness of this

David O'Day

Only qualify if you work less than your original hours, so what? Company's will be reducing hours so they can qualify for the scheme

why would they? If you reduce someone to 33% of their contracted hours you have to pay them 55% of their full salary. Why would companies decide to pay a higher rate of pay to people for working less?

chiefdave

why would they? If you reduce someone to 33% of their contracted hours you have to pay them 55% of their full salary. Why would companies decide to pay a higher rate of pay to people for working less?
The talk going into the announcement, which given how this government operates presumably was 'leaked' to the media, was that Sunak would introduce a similar scheme to Germany.

From what I can make out, and I could have this completely wrong as its going off a quick google, the German scheme sees the state pay 60 or 67% depending on if you have children (increasing to increased to 70 or 77% after 4 months and 80 or 87% after 7 months). The cost to the employer remains the same. Am I missing something or is this scheme nothing like the German one?

It almost seems like its designed so that the government can say they did something rather than a serious attempt to avoid mass redundancies.

chiefdave

"The conditions will be set out in guidance which will be published shortly, then over the next few weeks the further details will be worked through with businesses and unions."

Why does this sound like they're making it up as they go along. This is something that has been flagged up for months how can they not be prepared?

fernandopartridge

The talk going into the announcement, which given how this government operates presumably was 'leaked' to the media, was that Sunak would introduce a similar scheme to Germany.

From what I can make out, and I could have this completely wrong as its going off a quick google, the German scheme sees the state pay 60 or 67% depending on if you have children (increasing to increased to 70 or 77% after 4 months and 80 or 87% after 7 months). The cost to the employer remains the same. Am I missing something or is this scheme nothing like the German one?

It almost seems like its designed so that the government can say they did something rather than a serious attempt to avoid mass redundancies.
They make soundbite statements like that because Tory voters are mostly content free. See for example "more tests = more infections"

David O'Day

They'll spin it to say it is like the German scheme as they pay something towards wages but I can not get my head round why it seems to make employers pay for for part times hours?

David O'Day

Almost like they are economically illiterate, It would also cost more to keep 2 people at 33% (the minimum to qualify) hours.

For each person they would have to pay the 33% basic and then top up an extra 22% meaning that for 66% FTE hours they are paying 110% FTE wages.

clint van damme

The suggested 4 day week scheme seem far more sensible although would require a lot more administration ( recruitment etc)

Kieranp96

Disrespectful arrogant twats is what they are, I've avoided anyone who is fragile including my grandparents since early Feb this year, I don't get what's hard about isolating for 2 weeks not the end of the world, just imagine you have covid and passing it to someone who then goes and dies fuxk I couldn't live with myself.

Evo1883

If there is one thing I will say, irrespective of what you believe... Just follow the fucking rules, put a mask on... Isolate when necessary and stop being a c**t.

I've not always lapped up everything but I always follow the fucking rules and restrictions, even if you think its stupid just sigh and do what's asked of you... It's really not hard

Tommo1993

If there is one thing I will say, irrespective of what you believe... Just follow the fucking rules, put a mask on... Isolate when necessary and stop being a c**t.

I've not always lapped up everything but I always follow the fucking rules and restrictions, even if you think its stupid just sigh and do what's asked of you... It's really not hard

What you on about?! Wearing a mask for however long I’m in a shop or washing my hands is way too much to ask!

Also, I found out that my employer only pays £20 per week if you’re off sick with Covid. So if you’ve got it you might want to just say you’ve got the shits and it’ll probably last two weeks or more.

Evo1883

Anti maskers and anti vax people are definitely flat earthers... Absolute pellets

If the government were going to control us, then I'm absolutely positive it would be something more extreme than just saying "please, for all our health's, put a mask on" 🙄 fuck me

chiefdave

Absolutely agree that everyone has to follow the isolation rules.

The report the data is pulled from seems to suggest that childcare and not being able to afford time of work as being two major contributors to the high numbers. Would seem to indicate that we don't have the right support systems in place for people who need to isolate.

Lack of tests will be contributing as well I suspect. If you feel well but are told to isolate a negative test would release you back into the world. If you can't get a test, or aren't eligible for a test, is that prompting people to just ignore the instructed isolation?

Brighton Sky Blue

My views on it are known but I do what I’m told and defend the rules to kids who question them. The frustration is they can do what they want but I have to stay in a box unable to help

Tommo1993

A lot of complaints about the policing of it. Yeah, a little poster on the shop door won’t stop people from not wearing one. I’ve never seen someone ejected or refused entry.

chiefdave

A lot of complaints about the policing of it. Yeah, a little poster on the shop door won’t stop people from not wearing one. I’ve never seen someone ejected or refused entry.
How can you refuse anyone entry or kick them out? If someone says they have an exemption you're not allowed to question it. From what has been said on here in other countries its been wear a mask at all times when you leave the house. Simple, easy to follow and totally unambiguous.

Kieranp96

Anti maskers and anti vax people are definitely flat earthers... Absolute pellets

If the government were going to control us, then I'm absolutely positive it would be something more extreme than just saying "please, for all our health's, put a mask on" 🙄 fuck me
Bro I seen something from the dumbass conspiracy theorist the other day about pearl harbour if I can find it I will show you but honestly it's the funiest shit I've seen.

Evo1883

I'm with you man, believe whatever you like... Problem these people don't realise is their opinions don't allow them to freely potentially pass something around... I'd be far more authoritarian than Boris is because it's at the point where people had their chance to not be a twat but they keep being twats

Kieranp96

How can you refuse anyone entry or kick them out? If someone says they have an exemption you're not allowed to question it. From what has been said on here in other countries its been wear a mask at all times when you leave the house. Simple, easy to follow and totally unambiguous.
There shouldn't be a exemption, my gran is 78 years old has lung cancer and asthma and she wears a mask, just idiots who won't wear them.

Users who are viewing this thread