Coronavirus Thread (Off Topic, Politics) (6 Viewers)

wingy

Again .
Only a possibility but a mention that it may have been here longer and mutated to become more infectious or lethal.
Along with sewage samples from a couple of cities showing evidence of the pathogen dating back to the summer .
One being Barcelona.
Mine and around half a dozen colleagues symptoms matching up with this.
Treatment I had antibiotics followed by with similar steroid to the one lauded recently to shortening the infection .
Obviously without the need for hospitalisation,but severely impacted.
Doctor even thought I may have developed COPD. Experienced the waves thing too early on went back to work and had to stop again .
One young BAME lad had it severe other younger ones less symptomatic.
More severe/disabling among us older ones.

tisza

Here the government put a cap on the cost of them. Plenty also make their own or know someone who does.
They’ve now turned into fashion accessories in their own right, which is typically Italian.
Bit of a joke here. Govt set up a phoneline to report price gauging but it's a lot of the bigger stores doing it (mentioning no names - Tesco,DM) What actually kiboshed it was the biggest petrol producer turning over one of its plants to producing sanitizer - household and personal. Took about 2 months to get going but then you could get 5 litres of either from their petrol stations for around 8 quid.
got a friend here who's been making "trendy" ones for different sexes & age groups.
Now employing people to fulfil orders.
No way COVID is getting past all the spangles, glitter etc :)

Sky Blue Pete

Phil Vallance on the civil service dial in has just said that the virus has exposed and exacerbated inequalities in our society hes absolutely right and to ensure data flows safely and quickly

Last edited:

David O'Day

Now that is clickbaity as fuck

The "rise" is Coventry now having 3.8 new cases per 100k people compared to Leicester which had around 115 new cases per 100k people.

It's a slight rise but that was to be expected

ajsccfc

Apologies if it's been posted already, the new board update has threw the 'latest post' bookmarks all off for me

I am hearing there will be positive news soon (perhaps tomorrow) on initial trials of the Oxford Covid-19 vaccine that is backed by AstraZeneca and supported by tens of millions of pounds of government money.

The first data is due be published in the Lancet.

Apparently the vaccine is generating the kind of antibody and T-cell (killer cell) response that the researchers would hope to see.

That said, the efficacy will only be properly established in the large phase III programme that is under way in the viral epicentre of Brazil, to deliver a large database that assesses safety as well as efficacy.

One source told me: “An important point to keep in mind is that there are two dimensions to the immune response: antibodies and T-cells..

“Everybody is focussed on antibodies but there is a growing body of evidence suggesting that the T-cells response is important in the defence against coronavirus.

As I understand, not all of the many vaccines under development across the world increase both antibodies and T-cells. But the Oxford vaccine looks as though it has this twin effect.

It remains relatively early days: No effective vaccine has ever been developed as rapidly as is being attempted for Covid-19. And there could still be disappointment and failure.

If the Oxford vaccine is proven effective, it could go into mass production as early as September.

NorthernWisdom

As positive as it can be in this locale I think.

Here's another article .
Seems to be a few popping up around the vaccines.

Edit:-. COVID-19: Llama-based antibody treatment 'neutralises' virus
" Researchers from the Peter Doherty Institute for Infection and Immunity"

Hmmm

X6cKmj1fywlCZljL7JtSetf6lEZq9tA1Mgj1EfuZkQHsg7Km9YYyERnGsQXJr8Feid7Y0LVtWO8OV89GcUoIajsro3pgEieeDXZLvR9ThUTuidrg-9dpxBorTxLSVxWxoFrv

chiefdave

Just seen a post from a mate on Facebook who is working on one of the drive-in concert tours. "Government are pulling the plug on the Drive-in concerts."

Not sure at the moment if its all of them or just the one he was working on but if it is all of them not sure how they can justify stopping those but keeping pubs open.

skybluetony176

Remember these people are in charge of the country

Out Diane Abbotting Diane Abbott again. She isn’t even the worst person in government. A cabinet of poor man’s Diane Abbott’s and the PM is the poorest of the lot of them. I’d say we’re lions led by donkeys but “we’re” the ones who put them in power with a massive majority.

David O'Day

Just seen a post from a mate on Facebook who is working on one of the drive-in concert tours. "Government are pulling the plug on the Drive-in concerts."

Not sure at the moment if its all of them or just the one he was working on but if it is all of them not sure how they can justify stopping those but keeping pubs open.

can't see why they'd pull something that is relatively safe

NorthernWisdom

for the same reason they're now introducing preventative measures they they didn't bother with when the pandemic was at its peak - they haven't got a clue what they're doing.
tbf, I'm sympathetic to the science changing, I'd just love to know why it's OK to go into a takeaway without a mask, but not a shop... and I still haven't got a clue about art galleries, museums, and the like!

shmmeee

tbf, I'm sympathetic to the science changing, I'd just love to know why it's OK to go into a takeaway without a mask, but not a shop... and I still haven't got a clue about art galleries, museums, and the like!

Well you see the science says it’s not transmitted outdoors, or from the mouths of Boris Johnson’s political allies.

chiefdave

I'd love to know what the policy is when visiting an art gallery, for example...

Its ridiculous. Got to wear them in the shops, although the police have already said they won't be able to enforce it.
Not to mention there's no formal method of identifying who is exempt so if you do get stopped without a mask you can just say you're exempt and there's nothing anyone can do!

And now people serving you food don't have to because a member of the government was stupid enough to be photographed not wearing one. Why can't this government ever admit a mistake? Could have just said it was an error and shows how careful everyone needs to be but instead they change the rules again.

David O'Day

Doesn't sound like the government have said anything to them but they seem fearful of having to cancel an event at short notice due to a local lockdown and thus still have to pay the acts but refund the customers/

David O'Day

Its ridiculous. Got to wear them in the shops, although the police have already said they won't be able to enforce it.
Not to mention there's no formal method of identifying who is exempt so if you do get stopped without a mask you can just say you're exempt and there's nothing anyone can do!

And now people serving you food don't have to because a member of the government was stupid enough to be photographed not wearing one. Why can't this government ever admit a mistake? Could have just said it was an error and shows how careful everyone needs to be but instead they change the rules again.

The dibble can do one, they were gagging to be able to check peoples shopping baskets for "non essential" items at the start of the crisis so they can do the odd round of shops and look at peoples faces.

Sky_Blue_Dreamer

Well you see the science says it’s not transmitted outdoors, or from the mouths of Boris Johnson’s political allies.

How hard is it to say "if you're in an indoor setting outside of your own house a mask must be worn at all times. Owners of any premises have the right to refuse entry or demand a person leaves that does not follow these instructions. Refusal to comply with these demands will result in prosecution". Simple, clear and concise. No ambiguity or interpretation. Just a clear instruction.

This is where I get a bit tin hat as to why they've left it so open.

Firstly, making it so confusing makes the entire thing practically unenforceable and so people will be able to get away with whatever they please. This allows potential spread of the disease and thus the 'herd immunity' strategy whilst appearing to attempt to contain the virus.

Secondly, it allows them another opportunity to blame the public/business owners for failure to follow the rules if it goes wrong.

Thirdly, because much of their election strategy is based around assuming the average Brit is quite stupid, by telling people what to do they're worried it will make that mindset far too obvious so instead keep up the public face of "trust common sense" to hide that fact. Rather protect their electability than people.

Sky_Blue_Dreamer

As for the Gove thing - it seems weird to say they're excluding offices etc because of his failure to wear a mask. It's not come into force yet anyway. Of course it'd be good to see the govt set an example but to exempt places because what ministers have done before anything is actually in force is just mad.

As an office is (on the whole) going to be the same people in the same space they might be arguing it's not as bad as a shop with a lot of different people crossing paths, and would be easier to trace but those people will also be going out to other places like shops and risk spreading so stop that potential at source. If one person in the office has it in an indoor environment which people share for hours on end the chances of infecting others is very high and then they can all spread it when they go outside.

So in terms of being proactive, preventing spread of infection and just making a clear message get the office workers to wear one anyway.

chiefdave

Doesn't sound like the government have said anything to them but they seem fearful of having to cancel an event at short notice due to a local lockdown and thus still have to pay the acts but refund the customers/
Got some more info from a couple of people who were working on tours. They've both been told the same thing, that the government won't allow artists and production to move around the country. Seems an odd call when, as far as I'm aware, there's no restrictions on other people going about their work. A lot of work, not to mention expense, had gone into making sure this was all safe and within all restrictions and guidelines.

One of the artists involved has posted a statement online.
So sad and a little angry too as our Government in their divine wisdom have cancelled all drive in shows across the board across the country even though stringent care had been taken for safety and you would have been in your own space and bubble. Thousands of people musicians, crews, promoters, agents, tour managers, so many people working on these shows as well as business to local hotels and hospitality have now lost vital work. And of course yourselves looking for chances to have a good time and let your hair down and forget this never ending nightmare for a few hours. Mental health of people in this country is suffering. I’ve spoken to people from my team nearly in tears today. Did this have to be so draconian or has it not been given enough thought to the mental as well as the economic repercussions, this as so many other things are not thought out fully. Once more we the entertainers and musicians seem to count for nothing yet we are the people that keep spirits going. A shot in the arm for the entertainment , music and arts industry once again becomes a blow. So sorry everyone.

ADDED NOTE. I’ve just been told that the Government aren’t worried about the audiences but about the artists themselves spreading the virus from town to town even though we are travelling in our own bubbles and following the safety rules. You get in the car or van, you get out at the gig, you get changed in your separate dressing room .you do the show socially distanced on stage to an audience parked in their own spaces and a distance away from the stage and get back in the car again and go to your newly reopened hotel in need of guests , eat in the restaurant in need of customers at a socially distanced table where you follow the safety rules. Just goes to show this Government have no idea how the music business works.

David O'Day

Got some more info from a couple of people who were working on tours. They've both been told the same thing, that the government won't allow artists and production to move around the country. Seems an odd call when, as far as I'm aware, there's no restrictions on other people going about their work. A lot of work, not to mention expense, had gone into making sure this was all safe and within all restrictions and guidelines.

One of the artists involved has posted a statement online.

The government haven't cancelled any shows and there is no ban on travelling around the country.

The bands themselves seem to think it's financial.

David O'Day

I guess it's the live nation events

If the government had banned people from moving around the country (which they haven't) live nation would have said so instead of blaming "local lockdows" that don't exist.

The biggewr bands on the shows like Ash have stated they have not been told anything by live nation only found out at 5pm when they got the same email as the punters.

Users who are viewing this thread