Coronavirus Thread (Off Topic, Politics) (14 Viewers)

Macca

Walsgrave

I’m constantly amazed how this shit can even be a thing. Damn good job people do these jobs for love
Problem is that as a nation we are all so selfish that everyone wants a share of whatever pie the government offers, but doesn't want to contribute. Like for example plenty of people would be willing to have their taxes go up unilaterally across the board to help fund better pay for health workers, but for (probably forgiveable reasons), won't donate their income or even time to helping these people, or contribute in a small way. It's all 'me me me'. I know there's something wrong when we have PR consultants and certain media figures sneering on healthcare professionals.

Brighton Sky Blue

In the States, a third of Americans have missed rent or mortgage payments this month, similar for May and June. Difference is that unemployment relief stops at the end of this month, and the one-off $1200 payment has been spent. Homelessness on a monstrous scale is surely imminent

fernandopartridge

In the States, a third of Americans have missed rent or mortgage payments this month, similar for May and June. Difference is that unemployment relief stops at the end of this month, and the one-off $1200 payment has been spent. Homelessness on a monstrous scale is surely imminent
Read a book a few years ago about America's existing homeless crisis, it's a grim grim country and no model for anything aside from some very very wealthy individuals exponentially increasing their wealth year on year.

shmmeee

Just on a civil service live event with professor chris whitty. He was just asked why we have the highest death rate

he answered in 3 mins

Multiple reasons

How it started
Particular response In our country
Demographics

Clarified we are One of the worst

Need to Learn lessons

In Hindsight Some things would have been done differently

Some we did right too - 2 main things

The solution is a scientific - not an accident that leading vaccine and drug are coming out of the uk.

And that we managed to Speed up many of our processes from months to days.

Also said that anything Negative Is amplified
And anything Positive Is hidden

really interesting

He needs to nut up, governments are like referees, you get the shit and if you’re doing well no one notices you.

David O'Day

I'm just working on the basis of outside is OK so long as you maintain 2m distancing, anywhere inside then its mask on. Not that I'm risking the pub but if I did why would it be safe to be inside with a load of strangers and minimal distancing without a mask? Makes no sense.

Might not be a bad thing if there's permanent improvements in hygiene standards. Was the wearing of masks common in Asia before SARS or did they start then? Wonder what impact their mask wearing has had on the rates of flu.

It needs to be a really simple message. Its either masks all the time or its not. We saw when we went from Stay Home to Stay Alert that nuanced messages and relying on peoples common sense doesn't work.

The inside of a pub from what I have seen is either still socially distanced to 2m or if less than 2m there is protection in place such as screens.

It has seemed ok the times i've been but it's not quite what it was but I guess it won't be for a long time.

fernandopartridge

Number of tests processed only 97k across all pillars, pathetic numbers. They really should be testing in earnest off the back of the relaxation of lockdown to understand any impact it had.

398 cases, 138 deaths.

SkyBlueDom26

Number of tests processed only 97k across all pillars, pathetic numbers. They really should be testing in earnest off the back of the relaxation of lockdown to understand any impact it had.

530 cases, 138 deaths.
Capacity is there, if people don’t want a test then how are the numbers meant to be higher?

SkyBlueDom26

The inside of a pub from what I have seen is either still socially distanced to 2m or if less than 2m there is protection in place such as screens.

It has seemed ok the times i've been but it's not quite what it was but I guess it won't be for a long time.
Bollocks that is, in every pub I’ve been in it’s been 1m such as spoons and that....

hill83

What’s the Albany and that been like? Haven’t been earlsdon yet....was in the oak inn Sunday night and everyone was sitting down tbh

Assuming you mean the club they’ve done a good job of it. Members only, now with one guest that needs to give contact details. One way queuing system at the bar. Doorways left open. Hand gel in key areas and urinals cordoned off to encourage distancing. Less tables. A specific table to leave your empty glasses on near the bar.

In reality though. Once you’ve had a few it’s exactly the same.

Sick Boy

Happened here. Gouging on prices. Now a lot of stores/individuals left with huge stocks they can't shift. N95 masks were around a pound a piece in Jan. Seen them as much as 15 quid a piece in March now back to around 2 quid.
500ml of 80% sanitiser 2 quid Jan. 100ml 15 quid in April. Now back down 4 quid for the 500ml.
Here the government put a cap on the cost of them. Plenty also make their own or know someone who does.
They’ve now turned into fashion accessories in their own right, which is typically Italian.

ajsccfc

Trump further proving that any corrupt millionaire can be president no matter how thick and dangerous they are, the American Dream in action.

Users who are viewing this thread