Coronavirus Thread (Off Topic, Politics) (9 Viewers)

fernandopartridge

This jumped out of the article for me.

We haven't been doing test on people without symptoms for months have we? Worrying that they are highlighting that as a cause of staff shortages in many areas with those that may not be infected having to quarantine. Our testing system is struggling to cope as it is.

We don't do tests without symptoms but it's only a self-declaration as to whether you do with no oversight by a medical professional

David O'Day

The problem with PCR is that the more cycles you run the more likely you are to 'detect' virus even after the infection has subsided. I'm more confused as to where the false negatives are coming from

Because no system is correct all the time and it will and already has had false negatives

wingy

This jumped out of the article for me.

We haven't been doing test on people without symptoms for months have we? Worrying that they are highlighting that as a cause of staff shortages in many areas with those that may not be infected having to quarantine. Our testing system is struggling to cope as it is.
Asymptomatic hospital staff " Come to work".

wingy

Recent relaxation of mandatory mask wearing and social contact's within the last month .
If it's having that much effect there in the mentioned sphere's ,how long before they have shortages of essentials of everyday life?

Sky_Blue_Dreamer

Fair enough. Though TBH most of my frustration with the virus is a sense that we’re going to be stuck in this shit forever for political reasons.

I agree. It seems like a lot of the worst problems, esp now, were largely avoidable with strong leadership and sensible, albeit probably unpopular, action to contain it. Instead this fear of being unpopular, slavish preoccupation with economics ahead of public health and determination to give contracts to mates and donors have made things far, far worse than they needed to be.

This isn't Tory-bashing - I can't guarantee anyone else would've done a better job - but the fact is it's a Tory govt with a massive majority pulling the strings so they've got to carry the can for it, only they're trying their hardest not to and blame anyone and everyone else, including the scientists, the health professionals, local govt and the public. Always someone else's fault.

SBAndy

I agree. It seems like a lot of the worst problems, esp now, were largely avoidable with strong leadership and sensible, albeit probably unpopular, action to contain it. Instead this fear of being unpopular, slavish preoccupation with economics ahead of public health and determination to give contracts to mates and donors have made things far, far worse than they needed to be.

This isn't Tory-bashing - I can't guarantee anyone else would've done a better job - but the fact is it's a Tory govt with a massive majority pulling the strings so they've got to carry the can for it, only they're trying their hardest not to and blame anyone and everyone else, including the scientists, the health professionals, local govt and the public. Always someone else's fault.

You’d think that the first year of a 5-year term is the time to make the unpopular decisions.

Sky_Blue_Dreamer

You’d think that the first year of a 5-year term is the time to make the unpopular decisions.
u
Of course it would be, or at least in the first half of it, but Johnson seems obsessed with popularity. However, it's weird the stuff he'll leak to gauge opinion on first yet feeding needy kids out of term time, which hardly anyone would say isn't a worthy cause, is a hill they're (so far) willing to die on. Even more so when they're saying it should be a LA issue when LA funding has been drastically cut by their party while in power. So don't give them the money to be able to do it then blame them for not doing anything about it. Bizarre. I know we've been copying US culture for quite a while but this govt does increasingly have the hallmarks of the Trump administration.

SBAndy

u
Of course it would be, or at least in the first half of it, but Johnson seems obsessed with popularity. However, it's weird the stuff he'll leak to gauge opinion on first yet feeding needy kids out of term time, which hardly anyone would say isn't a worthy cause, is a hill they're (so far) willing to die on. Even more so when they're saying it should be a LA issue when LA funding has been drastically cut by their party while in power. So don't give them the money to be able to do it then blame them for not doing anything about it. Bizarre. I know we've been copying US culture for quite a while but this govt does increasingly have the hallmarks of the Trump administration.

It’s really unpleasant. I’m (unfortunately, for me) quite a politically charged person and I watch this play out - what is the necessity to depress (in economic terms) the poor constantly?

djr8369

I know we've been copying US culture for quite a while but this govt does increasingly have the hallmarks of the Trump administration.
Exactly this. They don’t seem to have anything other than to copy Trump. They’ve randomly started copying his war on critical race theory bringing it up during the debate on black history month last week.

shmmeee

That’s the mental thing. They aren’t taking unpopular decisions for the good of whatever. This shit Is them trying to make popular decisions among their base, even though there’s no evidence their base as they see it exists.

I reckon Cummings has handed the Tories a bunch of voters they don’t understand other than through a Brexit lens. Cummings thinks they’re all like @No2BLMUK#KBF on Twitter and they’re not. Most of them are like my ex mother in law.

Add in the traditional Tories wanting to keep making money and the baby libertarians like Toby Young and they’re upsetting everyone for no clear reason.

Just outright incompetence of both governance and politics.

Would be funny to watch if it didn’t also mean that I can’t have sleepovers for my kids or watch the football mind.

Kieranp96

How? Both my ex who teaches and my partner who works in the NHS were refused tests because they had no symptoms.
Just got a notification from the app, called 111 as I was due to be doing something important and they just said go get a test, did that and got results 2 days later, negative test thank god as it was important.

shmmeee

Just got a notification from the app, called 111 as I was due to be doing something important and they just said go get a test, did that and got results 2 days later, negative test thank god as it was important.

Mental. The exact thing happened with my ex and she wasn’t allowed a test and had to isolate for two weeks while someone else took her classes.

Nick

Administrator
Has the test place at the Ricoh been closed? Went past yesterday and today and although there's a few high vis people it's not really doing much?

SBAndy

Has the test place at the Ricoh been closed? Went past yesterday and today and although there's a few high vis people it's not really doing much?

After the Wasps lost the grand final it closed. Not sure whether they’re interlinked (this was a fabrication).

shmmeee

I thought the one under the ring road by IKEA had shut but the other day saw a few people in hi vis there as well. Fuck knows what’s going on.

Kieranp96

Mental. The exact thing happened with my ex and she wasn’t allowed a test and had to isolate for two weeks while someone else took her classes.
No idea, but it was pretty simple, it wa a only last week when I go tested well 9 days ago so maybe it changed since she had contact or symptoms?

robbiekeane

So what’s everyone’s guess for when a vaccine will be widely available? As in, widely enough available that everyone can go back to work?

Sick Boy

Bars and restaurants shut here from 18:00 now and 75% of teaching done online and the practical lessons done in school.

wingy

Can't help pick up the hypocrisy around the free meals for kid's argument.
Enphasing that it's best delivered locally through the Extra funding to LA's ,yet T&T isn't ?

Users who are viewing this thread