Coronavirus Thread (Off Topic, Politics) (46 Viewers)

Ian1779

Trying very hard not to point out that if *someone* hadn’t decimated the PLP there might be a point to voting against the government other than handing them free PR about “Labour voting for immigrants” or “Labour voting with the EU” or “Labour voting against the armed forces”

Trying very hard not to respond with if *someone* hadn’t championed a policy that was going to flatten 50+ leave seats, giving free PR to the Tories like ‘Labour don’t respect democracy’

That aside I was about to edit my post and say that Starmer’s conference was good and what I wanted to see (apart from the bit about exempting schools which is daft)

Ian1779

Really? him as well?!? All or nothing man, all or nothing!

I thought he wanted to do it around half term? (tbf, that's now!)
That’s what I thought was odd. They’ve already got a week off - so tag a week or two on at an end. We’re all set up to go on learning if we need to.

wingy

Starmer calls for circuit breaker national lock down.
That's the last we'll hear of that like everything else he occasionally pipes up about.
Depends what the MO is from the Gov'ts end, politically the look of Labour councils mayor's resisting measures etc or Kier trashing the economy ?

Ian1779

Depends what the MO is from the Gov'ts end, politically the look of Labour councils mayor's resisting measures etc or Kier trashing the economy ?
Making the crisis political will definitely be one line no doubt.

shmmeee

Trying very hard not to respond with if *someone* hadn’t championed a policy that was going to flatten 50+ leave seats, giving free PR to the Tories like ‘Labour don’t respect democracy’

That aside I was about to edit my post and say that Starmer’s conference was good and what I wanted to see (apart from the bit about exempting schools which is daft)

Touché on that point 😁

I didn’t catch Starmers conference. I agree we need more policy, but the constant refrain from the left of the party that we should be doing great protest votes at every opportunity bothers me.

That said, I see Starmer got his first negative approval rating today, so maybe something for a change of tack.

Ian1779

Oh sorry I thought he was saying 2 week circuit breaker over half term and tac on an extra week. That might just be my thinking, seems to make sense.
That would make total sense, I just got the impression it was have a week off and then pop back as normal, whilst the rest of the universe is closed.

Brighton Sky Blue

Touché on that point 😁

I didn’t catch Starmers conference. I agree we need more policy, but the constant refrain from the left of the party that we should be doing great protest votes at every opportunity bothers me.

That said, I see Starmer got his first negative approval rating today, so maybe something for a change of tack.

He oozes Ed Miliband vibes IMO but without the lisp

Jamesimus

How many of those as a direct result of covid?

Really hope this isn't an attempt at denying the severity of the current situation? Especially given the fact the excess deaths for this year point to the actual figures being higher than reported...

Ring Of Steel

Really hope this isn't an attempt at denying the severity of the current situation? Especially given the fact the excess deaths for this year point to the actual figures being higher than reported...

It is, he’s been the same throughout. Probably won’t be long before another one comes along.

Philosorapter

Whilst I dont disagree with what Starmer has said there is not a cat in hells chance of Labour winning the next election with him.

Philosorapter

Who would you pick.

I think most of the Labour MPs have been rejected by people who vote Labour.

It seems very few people now have anything to do with political parties. The MPs have brought about their own demise with the policies they have forwarded over the last twenty or thirty years.

I think it is getting to a point now where we need to move from representational democracy to direct democracy.

shmmeee

I think most of the Labour MPs have been rejected by people who vote Labour.

It seems very few people now have anything to do with political parties. The MPs have brought about their own demise with the policies they have forwarded over the last twenty or thirty years.

I think it is getting to a point now where we need to move from representational democracy to direct democracy.

I think by definition none of the Labour MPs have been rejected by people who vote Labour ;)

Direct democracy is a terrible idea. You want the country run by your Facebook feed? Running a country isn’t a job for part timers and amateurs.

Users who are viewing this thread