Coronavirus Thread (Off Topic, Politics) (101 Viewers)

PVA

No he did not. Patrick Vallance said to build up some kind of hard immunity to slow transmission. Nowhere did he say that was their plan.

The plan has always been mainly to slow the rate of transmission.

Sent from my SM-G975F using Tapatalk

He did.

He added: “Our aim is to try to reduce the peak, broaden the peak, not suppress it completely; to build up some kind of herd immunity so more people are immune to this disease and we reduce the transmission, at the same time we protect those who are most vulnerable to it.”

David O'Day

He did.

He added: “Our aim is to try to reduce the peak, broaden the peak, not suppress it completely; to build up some kind of herd immunity so more people are immune to this disease and we reduce the transmission, at the same time we protect those who are most vulnerable to it.”
Yes he didn't say full herd immunity there did he. But if you want to run with that so be it.

PVA

I'm sorry, but I don't know how 'our aim is to build up some kind of herd immunity' can be construed as 'our aim is not to build up some kind of herd immunity'.

David O'Day

I'm sorry, but I don't know how 'our aim is to build up some kind of herd immunity' can be construed as 'our aim is not to build up some kind of herd immunity'.
It doesn't mean that either. I'll add you to the wham bar list

PVA

Another shit show of a press conference.

Thursday - self quarantine for 7 days. No need to shut down big events."Believe it or not being in a large gathering is fine"

Monday - self quarantine for 14 days. Oh big events are now dangerous and we don't support it. In fact we don't even support small gatherings.

But no actual leadership. Just 'you probably shouldn't do these things, but we're not going to force you, so it's up to you'

Either close things and ban people from going, or keep them open. This halfway house is not helpful.

coop

Thursday - self quarantine for 7 days. No need to shut down big events."Believe it or not being in a large gathering is fine"

Monday - self quarantine for 14 days. Oh big events are now dangerous and we don't support it. In fact we don't even support small gatherings.

But no actual leadership. Just 'you probably shouldn't do these things, but we're not going to force you, so it's up to you'

Either close things and ban people from going, or keep them open. This halfway house is not helpful.
Don't know why they don't just shut all venues ie pubs schools etc and ban travel in and out of the UK from now for 2 weeks.

PVA

Don't know why they don't just shut all venues ie pubs schools etc and ban travel in and out of the UK from now for 2 weeks.

Exactly, they need to make a call one way or another. Either close things down or don't.

The message of 'we don't recommend this but you can if you want to' is just ludicrous!

fernandopartridge

This is a government that has lost the confidence of many people, and is now following the lead of other institutions rather than setting the direction itself.

Malaka

It's not an unfair observation about Corbyn. Personally, it'd be great if we could keep politics out of it.

Small hope though. And I do keep thinking that this is some kind of Greek Tragedy where the populists campaigning on a ticket of ignore the experts find their strategies destroyed because people... ignore the experts.

But hey, let's hope it doesn't get that far.
And keep us Greeks out if it thank you :joyful:

fernandopartridge

Stereophonics do a gig and loads of do gooder gimps losing their minds over it.

It isn't do gooder gimps, it's people genuinely worried about themselves and their families, even the old people matter and the 'underlying health conditions' covers a significant proportion of the population. It's peoples' choice to go and see the Stereophonics yes but it isn't the choice of others to be infected by somebody who attended this or any other big event.

Reactions: PVA

CCFCSteve

It because they think this is going to be several weeks, possibly months (I’m guessing depending on how many observe the restrictions and whether/how much they have the desired effect)

Philosorapter

Shopping spy report from Scotland.

Many things not on the shelves and a lot of shelves are empty.

Surprisingly though, salads are still plenty stocked.

CCFCSteve

Exactly, they need to make a call one way or another. Either close things down or don't.

The message of 'we don't recommend this but you can if you want to' is just ludicrous!

Agree with this PVA. Not sure why they don’t just say that all bars, restaurants and clubs will need to close from immediately/X date

ps the 7 day and 14 day isolation was explained clearly though

Reactions: PVA

usskyblue

There are going to be some healthy younger people that will ignore these ’guidelines’ believing that it’s only older people and those with underlying health issues that are at serious risk. All the while not even knowing they have a heart condition that’s waiting for compromise ...like this virus.

Sky_Blue_Dreamer

Maybe it could be to some extent.

We've accepted for quite some time this will spread and we can't stop it doing so. So we're trying to stagger the infections so health services can cope.

Society will have a mix of people who will both want to avoid contact and those who will carry on as normal. This could help 'flatten the curve' as some choose to go out, others will 'panic' and stay in. It would be better if we had a more assertive position coming from the government, but again the behaviour of people if some are told to stay in while others are allowed out is a factor.

So starting with no large social gatherings and steadily getting smaller as infection rates rise could help flatten the curve. Schools I'm not sure. Kids are walking disease incubators and although it seems kids are less affected by the disease but if you have them off school many will be have to be looked after by grandparents which if the disease has already been transmitted among the group puts a vulnerable group at risk. Of course they could get it at school, give it to their parents at home who then have to go and see the grandparents and pass it on that way as well. I think we're only a day or two away from that closure though

If you get everybody shut away from a few weeks/months then all emerge together when it seems the worst is over and continue as normal, it'll spread then and chances are all that's done is postponed the peak for a while. That would arguably be a bit better as the capacity of the NHS increases after winter, but would still see a massive peak and these measure being brought in again. Only the second time the public would be distrustful and maybe not follow the guidelines as they'd appeared to be unsuccessful.

I certainly don't envy the job of those tasked to contain it, as the timing of bringing in more draconian restrictions to prevent a 'pox party' but also ensure a steady rate of infection which will benefit the most vulnerable and allow health services to cope. Only time will tell if we've got that timing nearly right or not. Have we left it too late or did others bring it in too early?

Philosorapter

Seems the call is now going to out to everyone over the age of 70 or advised to have the flu jab each year to avoid social contact.

Also pregnant women too.

That's myself settled in for a month or two.

usskyblue

It’s like the police, in the middle of a fucking huge riot, saying; ‘Erm, we’re not enforcing anything. Please don’t loot. Thx’

wingy

I suppose the advice to people recommended annually to have the Flu jab is an improvement on the info I've been seeking.

Nick

Administrator
It isn't do gooder gimps, it's people genuinely worried about themselves and their families, even the old people matter and the 'underlying health conditions' covers a significant proportion of the population. It's peoples' choice to go and see the Stereophonics yes but it isn't the choice of others to be infected by somebody who attended this or any other big event.

If people are worried then they are staying in and won't see people who went to the gig anyway?

Same when hundreds are queuing to get into Aldi.

There's nothing to say people from the gig are going to go round killing people off.

Last edited:

David O'Day

Maybe it could be to some extent.

We've accepted for quite some time this will spread and we can't stop it doing so. So we're trying to stagger the infections so health services can cope.

Society will have a mix of people who will both want to avoid contact and those who will carry on as normal. This could help 'flatten the curve' as some choose to go out, others will 'panic' and stay in. It would be better if we had a more assertive position coming from the government, but again the behaviour of people if some are told to stay in while others are allowed out is a factor.

So starting with no large social gatherings and steadily getting smaller as infection rates rise could help flatten the curve. Schools I'm not sure. Kids are walking disease incubators and although it seems kids are less affected by the disease but if you have them off school many will be have to be looked after by grandparents which if the disease has already been transmitted among the group puts a vulnerable group at risk. Of course they could get it at school, give it to their parents at home who then have to go and see the grandparents and pass it on that way as well. I think we're only a day or two away from that closure though

If you get everybody shut away from a few weeks/months then all emerge together when it seems the worst is over and continue as normal, it'll spread then and chances are all that's done is postponed the peak for a while. That would arguably be a bit better as the capacity of the NHS increases after winter, but would still see a massive peak and these measure being brought in again. Only the second time the public would be distrustful and maybe not follow the guidelines as they'd appeared to be unsuccessful.

I certainly don't envy the job of those tasked to contain it, as the timing of bringing in more draconian restrictions to prevent a 'pox party' but also ensure a steady rate of infection which will benefit the most vulnerable and allow health services to cope. Only time will tell if we've got that timing nearly right or not. Have we left it too late or did others bring it in too early?
Don't talk sense the armchair Quincy brigade will be on you.

robbiekeane

If people are worried then they are staying in and won't see people who went to the gig anyway?

This is the thing. People are giving me shit for still going out in the evening or whatever at the weekend. Well the other people who are out are doing so at their own risk surely, and I won't be coming into contact with any of the people who are high risk or are worried because they will be staying at home won't they? I am not about to go to hospital or go to any old peoples homes.

Philosorapter

I suppose the advice to people recommended annually to have the Flu jab is an improvement on the info I've been seeking.

Yes, it's a broadening of the range of people who may be affected.

Underlying health issues was in my opinion flimsy. At least now you know if you are In the 'at greater risk' category, or not.

PVA

There's nothing to say people from the gig are going to go round killing people off.

What!!?

But those people are then going to work, or to the supermarket, or on the bus.

I can't believe that even needs explaining!!

wingy

The early data did put the 60-69 age group as a significant number along with the 70-79 .
Both higher than the 80+
Mortality at which 3.5% against 15%
They will be a significant number.

Nick

Administrator
What!!?

But those people are then going to work, or to the supermarket, or on the bus.

I can't believe that even needs explaining!!
What if they catch it at work, the supermarket or the bus? What if they get it from running for toilet roll.

If they are then going into an on people's home or visiting vulnerable people, then I can understand it.

I'll still be playing football on Friday and going to the pub (if they are open). I won't be seeing any old or vulnerable people.

Users who are viewing this thread