Coronavirus Thread (Off Topic, Politics) (17 Viewers)

torchomatic

It doesn’t look good though, launching law suits while thousands of people are dying. It's a real tricky situation.

What? I don't think for a moment he is saying lives don't matter and football is more important! Once Covid-19 is under control and the league could resume then I would imagine he and many teams, including Liverpool, Leeds, CCFC, Swindon and others would consider legal action if the EFL decided to void 19/20.

Last edited:

Liquid Gold

I think we might end up with this season finishing in the autumn, the end of season break coming over the winter and a summer season for one year before the winter Qatar world cup. Then an extended break from that to the summer with the league starting again in June July and finishing May.

shmmeee

This is rather worrying, considering different testing regimes it’s hard to compare cases country to country, but deaths should be pretty similar throughout. Plotting deaths like in this FT article suggests two worrying things: 1) EU countries are tracking well ahead of China 2) even the success stories like SK aren’t as far ahead of the curve as cases alone suggests.

upload_2020-3-16_12-25-47.png

What realistically can they do though. This is going to be around for some time, if you lck people up for months and months then eventually they are going to get bored and give up, or in the states they are going to need to work to get paid.

I don’t know where this idea that our only options are do nothing or lock everyone down China style came from.

China were trying to eliminate the disease, we are not. There are a host of options available (such as work from home or close bars) that could be taken that wouldn’t destroy the economy or make everyone bored and would slow the spread.

Grendel

It's unusual to be in agreement with you so much these days.

Soon will see see elderly people being abused for going out and shopping. This is rapidly descended into the War of the Worlds radio broadcast scenario and media needs align and cut out sensational nonsense

The stark reality is people will die but it’s a small number and economic existence for the many is essential

djr8369

You're right, no consistency- I saw there was a Stereophonics concert over the weekend, thousands of people in close contact for a couple of hours in a big sweaty closed off room. Based on what we read, thats inviting people to die.

Isn’t the point not necessarily consistency but slowing limiting the routes of infection to slow the spread. As we move up the curve more things will close?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Liquid Gold

This is rather worrying, considering different testing regimes it’s hard to compare cases country to country, but deaths should be pretty similar throughout. Plotting deaths like in this FT article suggests two worrying things: 1) EU countries are tracking well ahead of China 2) even the success stories like SK aren’t as far ahead of the curve as cases alone suggests.

View attachment 14452

I don’t know where this idea that our only options are do nothing or lock everyone down China style came from.

China were trying to eliminate the disease, we are not. There are a host of options available (such as work from home or close bars) that could be taken that wouldn’t destroy the economy or make everyone bored and would slow the spread.
But whatever happens and whatever the plan is needs to be communicated. People are pulling kids out of school, stockpiling and making things difficult for others because they haven't got a clue what's happening.

Astute

Just been on the phone to the wife. Looks like Macron might be announcing martial law tonight. Too many people have ignored advice.

shmmeee

But whatever happens and whatever the plan is needs to be communicated. People are pulling kids out of school, stockpiling and making things difficult for others because they haven't got a clue what's happening.

Yes. Which makes it even more criminal that our government seems to have been sat around doing nothing for months and is now changing its mind every three seconds about its strategy and communicating through leaks to preferred newspapers.

I don’t blame anyone for looking around the world, looking at Boris Johnson, and deciding to take matters into their own hands TBH.

Grendel

Just been on the phone to the wife. Looks like Macron might be announcing martial law tonight. Too many people have ignored advice.

What a pompous oaf he is

Liquid Gold

Any excuse to get the Gendarmes out to beat people

Yes. Which makes it even more criminal that our government seems to have been sat around doing nothing for months and is now changing its mind every three seconds about its strategy and communicating through leaks to preferred newspapers.

I don’t blame anyone for looking around the world, looking at Boris Johnson, and deciding to take matters into their own hands TBH.
Hopefully that changes now we are due to have daily briefings, I just wish they'd tell everybody else in government to shut the fuck up. If they are asked the question then answer that people should follow all government advice and that will only be communicated through the daily briefings.

PVA

Yes this sums it up perfectly and is what several of us have been saying in here for days.

Whether you agree with the (lack of) measures is one thing, but surely we can all agree that the (lack of) communication from the government has been appalling.

shmmeee

Any excuse to get the Gendarmes out to beat people

Hopefully that changes now we are due to have daily briefings, I just wish they'd tell everybody else in government to shut the fuck up. If they are asked the question then answer that people should follow all government advice and that will only be communicated through the daily briefings.

Was reading Andy Burnhams thread on the swine flu response and he was saying similar. Firstly you need daily briefings. Secondly you need a trusted contact ideally the CMO/CSA and everyone else to STFU.

I get the “don’t tel people everything or they’ll panic” theory, but I think it’s bunkum in the social media connected planet age. We can all see what the next few weeks will probably look like. Right now people don’t know what’ll happen tomorrow so are assuming the worst. Saying stuff like “X is planned” or “Y might happen” doesn’t help. Get the models out there. Get the breakpoints out there. Let people know the plan. If we are waiting for a certain point, tell us what that is. You can’t run this shit in secret or rumour and fear will naturally take over.

SkyBlueDom26

Have you seen our Prime Minister?!

Yeah there is nothing wrong with him! Will be a great PM

giphy.gif

Last edited:

Grendel

Have you seen our Prime Minister?!

At least there is an acknowledgment here the economy must carry on - macron will throw everyone under a bus to look like he is doing something

Sick Boy

I don't think Ireland are right, I don't think they're wrong- nobody knows that.

One thing I would say though is that the lockdown approach is very wearing, the unease is very palpable and uncomfortable.
The mood here is something I’ve never experienced, it’s really, really strange.

Grendel

Grendel

Wouldn't expect anything less than them two. Economy over public health.

(I'm not saying the economy is not important, by the way, of course it is)

You accept I assume everyone will at some point get this virus?

Monners

Talking of the economy; would anyone like to buy a return train ticket from Market Harborough to Lincoln for this Saturday?

usskyblue

Those closures in the states are surely by the states themselves?

At the moment it is. Which again, makes no sense that some of the States are taking measures and others aren’t. Why the fuck should it depend on where you own a restaurant or teach?

All Trump is doing is spouting shit and immediately being contradicted by his own scientist task force...in the same press conference.

The ineptitude is staggering

Grendel

Why would you say that? Even the worse case models only predict 80%

Well because that’s the view of most virologists and the 80% is in their eyes everyone as some will have no symptoms and just carry. The point is it’s impossible to restrict to a few people in the country isn’t it and lockdowns will only mean outbreaks occur again and again and again - I haven’t read any report that believes it’s possible to contain to small numbers of the population

shmmeee

Well because that’s the view of most virologists and the 80% is in their eyes everyone as some will have no symptoms and just carry. The point is it’s impossible to restrict to a few people in the country isn’t it and lockdowns will only mean outbreaks occur again and again and again - I haven’t read any report that believes it’s possible to contain to small numbers of the population

You’re confused. 80% is 80%. When (if) herd immunity is reached the virus doesn’t have the hosts to reach the final 20%, it’s nothing to do with symptom reporting.

You’re also confused about what’s being proposed and why. Leaving aside the fact that we literally don’t know what’ll happen when restrictions lift as it hasn’t happened yet, even if you want the herd immunity approach you still have to flatten the curve to avoid millions of hospitalisations that spikes the mortality rate. That’s where social distancing measures come in. Read the WaPo article I posted earlier in the thread with the model of different scenarios and read up on what different countries approaches have been, you seem spectacularly ill informed on what the various options are. SK for example seems to have contained with minimal lockdown because of early and wide scale testing, tracing and quarantine, though it’s a bit late for us to go for that option now.

Ring Of Steel

At the moment it is. Which again, makes no sense that some of the States are taking measures and others aren’t. Why the fuck should it depend on where you own a restaurant or teach?

All Trump is doing is spouting shit and immediately being contradicted by his own scientist task force...in the same press conference.

The ineptitude is staggering

Similar to here. Our "experts" say one thing, the govt says something completely different, all via leaked reports to journalists or in paywalled articles which the most vulnerable groups can't get access to at least without help (not easy to explain to a 81 yr old that he has to subscribe to an online paper to find out what the government are saying to do in a worldwide pandemic after the PM has gone on TV saying people will die- then gone underground).

Then you have people casually blaming "the EU", China, France & sneeringly saying that they've got it all wrong & us lucky Brits are the shining lights of expertise and everyone else is making a mess of it, when the reality is that nobody has a fucking clue- but at least most other countries are co-ordinating the communication and giving a very clear message on what to do, instead of leaving it to everyone to guess or make it up as they go along.

Grendel

80% seems to be the upper estimate. But I've seen as low as 20%, so basically no one knows. But no, I don't think everyone will get it.

If you only think 20% will and it can somehow be stopped by short term isolation techniques then I wish you luck - I think you’ll be very disappointed

Users who are viewing this thread