Coronavirus Thread (Off Topic, Politics) (32 Viewers)

chiefdave

Fair play to Rishi and the conservatives coming through with this one

Hope this is above board and as it seems. Already had friends in the industry flag up that the Arts Council was asked not to announce who had been successful with applications for previously announced funding last Friday so the government could re-annouce the funding. Hope that's just a coincidence.

Assuming it is above board then fair play for finally stepping up but it shouldn't have taken a huge campaign and a threat that the ROH would permanently close to get it done. Once again it shows the government not sticking to its own plan due to the response from the public. The delay means there's already venues that have closed and jobs that have been lost.

clint van damme

Hope this is above board and as it seems. Already had friends in the industry flag up that the Arts Council was asked not to announce who had been successful with applications for previously announced funding last Friday so the government could re-annouce the funding. Hope that's just a coincidence.

Assuming it is above board then fair play for finally stepping up but it shouldn't have taken a huge campaign and a threat that the ROH would permanently close to get it done. Once again it shows the government not sticking to its own plan due to the response from the public. The delay means there's already venues that have closed and jobs that have been lost.

The arts are really important and it's good that they are looking to help if as you say, it's all above board, but it means nothing if they continue withhold the 10 billion from the NHS that someone hi lighted in an earlier post.

wingy

Caught some Professor on Newsnight Thursday or Friday .
According to his modelling he predicted if the second wave comes it will be in January .
Also that death's would be @6,982 precisely , qualified with the caveat,'as long as there is an effective test and trace mechanism in place.
Mentioned 'dark matter,' in his analysis where somehow an unspecified percentage of the population have some form of Immunity.

Nick

Administrator
I still don't get why people can cram into pubs but an outdoor football pitch cant be booked for 18 blokes to have a game of football to keep fit?

Skybluefaz

I still don't get why people can cram into pubs but an outdoor football pitch cant be booked for 18 blokes to have a game of football to keep fit?
I'm having my first coaching session back with my lads team today and we will adhere to the social distancing measures. Cannot wait. 8 year olds will be mad to have a 'proper game' though so I hope the science supports a return to normality, for the grassroots game asap.

NorthernWisdom

In theory you're keeping your distance from one another in a pub I guess, whereas a full-blown football match...

Apparently balls are also a vector of disaese or whatever in cricket, guess the same applies too for football.

Don't shoot the messenger, I don't make these rules! Just trying to rationalise the irrational.

Nick

Administrator
In theory you're keeping your distance from one another in a pub I guess, whereas a full-blown football match...

Apparently balls are also a vector of disaese or whatever in cricket, guess the same applies too for football.

Don't shoot the messenger, I don't make these rules! Just trying to rationalise the irrational.

Not planning on kissing and cuddling.

The goalies have gloves and there's no throw ins, just kick ins :)

Ian1779

I'm having my first coaching session back with my lads team today and we will adhere to the social distancing measures. Cannot wait. 8 year olds will be mad to have a 'proper game' though so I hope the science supports a return to normality, for the grassroots game asap.
My sons U9 team have been back to training for 2 weeks now. Split into bubbles of 5 with each player having their own ball - mostly been doing practicing technique and fitness. Not had any games yet at all - some shooting practice is the closest they’ve come to interaction. Must say that considering it’s all done by unpaid volunteers the thought and planning that has gone into making it possible to train whilst staying very safe is excellent.

Skybluefaz

My sons U9 team have been back to training for 2 weeks now. Split into bubbles of 5 with each player having their own ball - mostly been doing practicing technique and fitness. Not had any games yet at all - some shooting practice is the closest they’ve come to interaction. Must say that considering it’s all done by unpaid volunteers the thought and planning that has gone into making it possible to train whilst staying very safe is excellent.
For the most part I think people are on board with what is required. What I have planned sounds pretty similar to what you have experienced with your son's team. Shooting at the end will be the game replacement, I'm aware that there are some carrying on as usual, full contact sessions with games etc. Not at my club though thankfully. To give the FA credit their guidance has been good, updated inline with changes from the government. Of course, football locked down before the government too so that was a good proactive move from the FA.

Last edited:

Sky_Blue_Dreamer

People aren't supposed to be 'cramming' into pubs. Supposed to very much be limited capacity, distanced, separated from other groups etc.

Although footy is outdoor it involves a lot of heavy breathing from the exercise increasing the distance the virus could travel and unless you make it non-contact involves very close contact. Plus the phlegmy people that have to gob everywhere every 5 seconds or they can't breathe.

I have seen on the news where someone set up something more akin to netball/fussball where each player had a designated zone on the pitch no other player was allowed to enter. So could only block, not tackle.

fernandopartridge

I'm with you on that to an extent, but two wrongs don't make a right and running around a pitch at contact you'll be shedding a lot of virus. They had the CEO of Powerleague on Radio 5 last night who was making a similar case but also that they'd put steps in place to mitigate risk in any case. It really does show what the objective of releasing lockdown was, though the Tories have not exactly been shy about that.

fernandopartridge

I think so too

No, we're not beating it. We are repelling it for now, it won't be beaten due to the way it was allowed to let rip, but after nearly 4 months we've got daily infections down under 500. I said 200k deaths by next March, maybe we won't get there but 100k is not out of the question.

skybluetony176

I see ministers have started lining up to rewrite what Boris said about care homes. What’s the betting that Boris disappears for a good week now from the media.

Nick

Administrator
I'm with you on that to an extent, but two wrongs don't make a right and running around a pitch at contact you'll be shedding a lot of virus. They had the CEO of Powerleague on Radio 5 last night who was making a similar case but also that they'd put steps in place to mitigate risk in any case. It really does show what the objective of releasing lockdown was, though the Tories have not exactly been shy about that.

Oh yeah exactly, all about the money.

I know there will be sweat and heavy breathing for air which may aid it being passed as well but it's more the mental health aspect too. Exercise is a massive part of people's mental health challenges and a lot of it is taken away.

clint van damme

Oh yeah exactly, all about the money.

I know there will be sweat and heavy breathing for air which may aid it being passed as well but it's more the mental health aspect too. Exercise is a massive part of people's mental health challenges and a lot of it is taken away.

one of my colleagues who has been on furlough has just come in to collect his belongings prior to leaving the company.
His wife works in a mental health nurse and I said I bet she's been busy and he said not at the moment but they're expecting an 'avalanche' over the next few months.

Users who are viewing this thread