Coronavirus Thread (Off Topic, Politics) (27 Viewers)

David O'Day

179,000 tested in the last 24 hours, of which 150, 000 were ordered via Argos, 20,000 were sent out to one address in error and another 78,000 were found in a box in a garage and shredded.
50 to 70k people I'd guess but alas I bet the figure of this is unavailable

Sent from my SM-G975F using Tapatalk

Alan Dugdales Moustache

Then you will know that the issue is they are working differently and they are struggling with a system that doesn't always work

They are working to an untried system.

Alan Dugdales Moustache

I can only speak for me, but getting emails over a weekend giving out detailed plans on what the kids need to be doing on each subject, spending all day getting in emails of digital or scanned bits of paper to mark, then in the evening (and I mean literally every evening) sending out marks, scanned comments & corrections, then arranging calls with parents every week (outside of working hours) to go through progress & responding to emails pretty much at any time- all for each pupil- I think what they're doing is brilliant. If you aren't doing that then thats your call, but from what I see these people are properly going the 'extra mile' to make sure everyone gets what they need to keep making progress & get the right attention.
Are you a teacher ?

Nick

Administrator
I can only speak for me, but getting emails over a weekend giving out detailed plans on what the kids need to be doing on each subject, spending all day getting in emails of digital or scanned bits of paper to mark, then in the evening (and I mean literally every evening) sending out marks, scanned comments & corrections, then arranging calls with parents every week (outside of working hours) to go through progress & responding to emails pretty much at any time- all for each pupil- I think what they're doing is brilliant. If you aren't doing that then thats your call, but from what I see these people are properly going the 'extra mile' to make sure everyone gets what they need to keep making progress & get the right attention.

Really? We haven't had a phone call going through my daughter's progress in lockdown. We get the odd group email sent out to parents.

We don't get emails with what they should be doing, it's sent to them directly. We had a rough schedule weeks ago but that's it.

Of course they are working and putting the time in but if they are using something like Microsoft teams then it's mostly centralised and now the kids are all used to it, a lot easier.

Last edited:

David O'Day

Unfortunately the signer is obscuring the uplift in the number of deaths over the last couple of days.
Strange that

08387a960b2d619dd245060950850976.jpg

hill83

My lad is only in reception but we’ve had 2 bits of communication. One asking us if we are sending him back in on the 1st June. One thanking us that we aren’t sending him back in on the 1st June.

Purely anecdotal of course and I’m not in any way saying teachers aren’t working hard. Or being sarcastic as that sounds sarcastic. As does that.

Alan Dugdales Moustache

Really? We haven't had a phone call going through my daughter's progress in lockdown. We get the odd group email sent out to parents.

Of course they are working and putting the time in but if they are using something like Microsoft teams then it's mostly centralised and now the kids are all used to it, a lot easier.
My grandkids are going in on Thursday and Friday from this week. They are reception and year 1.
The class teacher is going to accompany any child that needs the toilet and then bleach the place after. She will leave the classroom to a T.A. during that time. Totally wrong in my opinion. Other schools will do it completely differently. Some schools are praying that less than 50 % ,of kids turn up because they simply can't cope otherwise.
Emails ? That should be dealt with in the main by the administrative staff. The main thing teachers need to know right now is who is coming back and who isn't.

Nick

Administrator
My grandkids are going in on Thursday and Friday from this week. They are reception and year 1.
The class teacher is going to accompany any child that needs the toilet and then bleach the place after. She will leave the classroom to a T.A. during that time. Totally wrong in my opinion. Other schools will do it completely differently. Some schools are praying that less than 50 % ,of kids turn up because they simply can't cope otherwise.
Emails ? That should be dealt with in the main by the administrative staff. The main thing teachers need to know right now is who is coming back and who isn't.

Why doesn't the ta take them? Or have support staff to do it.

Alan Dugdales Moustache

My lad is only in reception but we’ve had 2 bits of communication. One asking us if we are sending him back in on the 1st June. One thanking us that we aren’t sending him back in on the 1st June.

Purely anecdotal of course and I’m not in any way saying teachers aren’t working hard. Or being sarcastic as that sounds sarcastic. As does that.
As I say it's mainly about numbers . Its an absolute nightmare right now. The kids will not be subject to much of a curriculum in Ks1 . It's about getting back into familiar
surroundings, friendships, play, routine , safety. I shouldn't really say it but it's childcare and that's no disrespect to teachers at all, but realistically under the circumstances it's about getting through until summer hols. A bit of reading, stories, art , singing and being with their friends and being happy is what matters.

Alan Dugdales Moustache

Why doesn't the ta take them? Or have support staff to do it.
Very good question. I've no idea. That's why I think at this school they've got it wrong. However, it does draw attention to the difficulty that one child brings in needing a piss under the circumstances.
As for staff god knows how that works. At some primary schools there is no designated male toilet at all and we have to use the disabled facilities. Teachers will stink of bleach 24/7

Alan Dugdales Moustache

Tbf if you've had your lesson plans set up for a while, to have to change to a new mode of delivery that's more inefficient with new challenges would need more work, wouldn't it?
Not really. Not in Ks1. Chuck that medium term plan out of the window.
Year 6. Forget the differentiation but it depends how many turn up. Each school will decide on how rigorous they want to follow the curriculum. They aren't exactly going to get an Ofsted inspection whatever they decide. Year 6 do need to prepare as much as they can for year 7.

NorthernWisdom

Year 6. Forget the differentiation but it depends how many turn up. Each school will decide on how rigorous they want to follow the curriculum. They aren't exactly going to get an Ofsted inspection whatever they decide. Year 6 do need to prepare as much as they can for year 7.
I meant up till now, teaching remotely.

I'd agree that the children coming back becomes essentially a child minding service for many.

Alan Dugdales Moustache

Not sure really what you’re getting into a strop about, if you’re disagreeing that your profession seems to have done a great job and put extra work & time in then ok, I will exclude you from that assessment & you can be happy.
Teachers have always worked hard, but they're not working harder now, just differently.

Alan Dugdales Moustache

Never claimed that. But to say we've been off work for months is the mark of a prick.
I never said months. If you've been sneaking into school since lockdown just to get the hours in then you're on your own . Most teachers were sent home not knowing when or if they would go back this term.

Brighton Sky Blue

I never said months. If you've been sneaking into school since lockdown just to get the hours in then you're on your own . Most teachers were sent home not knowing when or if they would go back this term.

Ages, months, what's the difference? I and many of my colleagues have been working round the clock to make online lessons, chase students for work, get that marked, hold pastoral meetings with everyone etc etc plus more if you like. It's a 180 flip of the established way of teaching, particularly of more practical subjects. This week is a bit lighter as remote exams are going on but I'll have around 150 to mark when they're done.

wingy

It's about trying to bring back some normalcy .
But It isn't normal is it.
If we're lucky it may be by September .
And showing a bit of Gov't control .

Alan Dugdales Moustache

he’s the head of PE at the School of Hard Knocks
You know what, I used to teach at a few schools in Cov, mainly north Cov. Most of them were tough, but there was one in North West cov quite a long way out that was absolutely brilliant, and for the life of me I can't remember the name of it. Bugger.

Alan Dugdales Moustache

It's about trying to bring back some normalcy .
But It isn't normal is it.
If we're lucky it may be by September .
And showing a bit of Gov't control .
You're right wingy. The kids just want a bit of routine and to be with their friends. When they're 5 or 6 years old missing out on a bit of formal learning won't make too much difference, especially if they've done a bit of reading at home.

David O'Day

You know what, I used to teach at a few schools in Cov, mainly north Cov. Most of them were tough, but there was one in North West cov quite a long way out that was absolutely brilliant, and for the life of me I can't remember the name of it. Bugger.
Spent a few years at Foxy, you do remind me of my old PE teacher Mr Gibbs

Users who are viewing this thread