Coronavirus Thread (Off Topic, Politics) (37 Viewers)

fernandopartridge

I don't agree with Dom but I can see where he's coming from (and he possibly reflects the shallow analysis of the electorate at large). Starmer's letter and his words to date are pre-faced with empathy with the government, now any attempt he makes to criticise their position will get the same push back.

David O'Day

Boris nailed it when he said starmers policy is ‘agree, criticise and u turn’ it’s all he ever seems to do....

He wanted the restrictions lifted a few weeks ago and now he’s against it
Ffs you talk some fucking shite.

Starmer said people needed to know the road map ahead not that we needed to loosen restrictions.

Boris was the worst pm at PMQs people can remember today.

Sent from my SM-G975F using Tapatalk

Sky Blue Pete

I don't agree with Dom but I can see where he's coming from (and he possibly reflects the shallow analysis of the electorate at large). Starmer's letter and his words to date are pre-faced with empathy with the government, now any attempt he makes to criticise their position will get the same push back.
Still the right thing to do. Look to work together but where it’s not evidence based challenge. Might be nuanced but it’s bang on

PVA

Still the right thing to do. Look to work together but where it’s not evidence based challenge. Might be nuanced but it’s bang on

Exactly. Starmer has said he's tried to work with the government, that doesn't mean he can't challenge them.

And as he said himself, the government (and it's fans like Dom) are taking any scrutiny as an attack.

Starmer:
"The PM is confusing scrutiny for attacks. I've supported the government openly and I've taken criticism for it. But boy he makes it difficult to support this government over the last two weeks."

shmmeee

Not really its just pointless having selective rules.

People use things like that as an excuse to get around lockdown and get away with it.

What lockdown?

Everyone I’ve spoken to outside of work is under the impression it’s over. Go outside it’s like the virus was never a thing.

Nick

Administrator
What lockdown?

Everyone I’ve spoken to outside of work is under the impression it’s over. Go outside it’s like the virus was never a thing.
It's selective.

If an MP goes to his second house people lose their minds. Hundreds gather on a bridge or in a park and it's fine.

Just don't get it. Will be interesting to see how many arrests are made for breaking social distancing rules.

David O'Day

Exactly. Starmer has said he's tried to work with the government, that doesn't mean he can't challenge them.

And as he said himself, the government (and it's fans like Dom) are taking any scrutiny as an attack.

Starmer:
"The PM is confusing scrutiny for attacks. I've supported the government openly and I've taken criticism for it. But boy he makes it difficult to support this government over the last two weeks."
The part when boris sneered about cooperation and it blew up in his face was gold.

David O'Day

It's selective.

If an MP goes to his second house people lose their minds. Hundreds gather on a bridge or in a park and it's fine.

Just don't get it. Will be interesting to see how many arrests are made for breaking social distancing rules.
Why would they try and break it up? You can sit in a park as long as you are 2 metres away from each other. If you are not they can ask you to try and make sure you are.

Brighton Sky Blue

Wales are extending the school year by a week just to bring people back on the 29th because 'people have been missing out on learning for too long'. They have also roundly criticised teaching unions who have a problem with it and seem to forget that most of us have been busting our arses teaching remotely.

Didn't know that G was pulling the strings over there

Ring Of Steel

Wales are extending the school year by a week just to bring people back on the 29th because 'people have been missing out on learning for too long'. They have also roundly criticised teaching unions who have a problem with it and seem to forget that most of us have been busting our arses teaching remotely.

Didn't know that G was pulling the strings over there

I know full well how much work teachers are doing, I am bombarded with updates, marks & worksheets every day. There will obviously be some who don't bother as with all professions, but from what I can tell teachers are working their absolute arses off, I've been really impressed with what they've been doing.

clint van damme

After Johnson's appalling showing earlier it's now Patel's turn to bumble and bluster and lie and make a general fool of herself.

The 14 day quarantine rule is being pulled apart by everyone, including tories.

Don't blame Patel. Johnson is now personally overseeing handling the pandemic, it's on him!

Reactions: PVA

Brighton Sky Blue

I know full well how much work teachers are doing, I am bombarded with updates, marks & worksheets every day. There will obviously be some who don't bother as with all professions, but from what I can tell teachers are working their absolute arses off, I've been really impressed with what they've been doing.

I can only sympathise with those in Wales who have been shafted by the (Labour led) administration. Don't agree with it at all.

Brighton Sky Blue

He would be criticised no matter what he did because he leads the Labour party.

David O'Day

Johnson caught out lying in parliament again

The call he mentioned was a conference call wo
With all party leaders and not the meeting of him and the education secretary and Starmer and RLB as requested in the letter.

Brighton Sky Blue

The quarantine thing I don't get at all.

When you assume that its all been about herd immunity then everything they have done sort of now makes sense- it has been textbook in fact in terms of pretending you want a full lockdown approach but in reality wanting to get herd immunity- planes coming in, half arsed & late lockdowns, terrible testing, care homes, Cummings and all the rest- they have been walking the line between aiming for controlled herd immunity and simultaneously presenting the facade to the public that they want something different & much more publicly palatable. There are anomalies to this but there are 67m people in the UK, you can't control everything & everyone all the time. But when you look back at the 'failings' and then analyse them against the backdrop of a herd immunity strategy, makes much more sense. Either that or they really are the thickest, most stupid, most inept bunch ever- and I don't think you can say they are all unintelligent people. The pile on is justified but it also hides something much bigger which is what did they actually want to achieve? Go with herd immunity and it all makes a lot more sense. It also makes them culpable for thousands of deaths so don't expect any admissions any time soon.

But I don't get how this quarantine fits in, unless they've worked out that it genuinely would swamp the NHS this time.

Now talking about £1,000 fines and 14 day isolation for the 'selfish minority putting people at risk', but fuck all for everyone crowding around beach resorts. As for whether it was attempting herd immunity by the backdoor I don't know if they were stupid or clever enough to attempt it.

Ring Of Steel

Johnson caught out lying in parliament again

The call he mentioned was a conference call wo
With all party leaders and not the meeting of him and the education secretary and Starmer and RLB as requested in the letter.

You must have misheard or have this wrong- Boris assured the nation that he has never told a single lie in his political career.

Ring Of Steel

Now talking about £1,000 fines and 14 day isolation for the 'selfish minority putting people at risk', but fuck all for everyone crowding around beach resorts. As for whether it was attempting herd immunity by the backdoor I don't know if they were stupid or clever enough to attempt it.

I think personally definitely herd immunity. They're smart enough, and don't forget Cummings' alleged quote beforehand about it "not mattering if a few old people die", plus his videoed comments about the Conservatives not caring about the NHS and 'poor people', while hyping up Eugenics. Forget Boris, he's a dummy, a puppet, if his 'advisors' had told him that dressing as a clown made you immune to the virus he'd have been telling the nation to stock up on makeup & outsize shoes.

Brighton Sky Blue

I think personally definitely herd immunity. They're smart enough, and don't forget Cummings' alleged quote beforehand about it "not mattering if a few old people die", plus his videoed comments about the Conservatives not caring about the NHS and 'poor people', while hyping up Eugenics. Forget Boris, he's a dummy, a puppet, if his 'advisors' had told him that dressing as a clown made you immune to the virus he'd have been telling the nation to stock up on makeup & outsize shoes.

I will hope that not even they would dare attempt such a thing.

clint van damme

Apparently Starmer getting to Boris...

Let's be honest. He's been an entitled little fuck all his life and doesn't like being questioned by anyone full stop.

Was it the Grenfell enquiry where he said fuck the families? I think it was when someone brought up all the cuts to the fire service he'd made as mayor.

Edit - just looked, it was the 7/7 bombings enquiries.

Last edited:

Alan Dugdales Moustache

Teachers have been off work for ages. Not their choice, but how are they working their arses off just lately any more than than they usually do ?

Alan Dugdales Moustache

You think teachers have just been sat at home?

I'm a teacher. No they haven't, but ROS comments seem to imply they're working harder than they usually do. How's that then ?

Alan Dugdales Moustache

359 deaths reported today, it is going in the wrong direction. Infections at 1800 but no idea how many people tested.
179,000 tested in the last 24 hours, of which 150, 000 were ordered via Argos, 20,000 were sent out to one address in error and another 78,000 were found in a box in a garage and shredded.

David O'Day

I'm a teacher. No they haven't, but ROS comments seem to imply they're working harder than they usually do. How's that then ?
Then you will know that the issue is they are working differently and they are struggling with a system that doesn't always work

Ring Of Steel

Teachers have been off work for ages. Not their choice, but how are they working their arses off just lately any more than than they usually do ?

I can only speak for me, but getting emails over a weekend giving out detailed plans on what the kids need to be doing on each subject, spending all day getting in emails of digital or scanned bits of paper to mark, then in the evening (and I mean literally every evening) sending out marks, scanned comments & corrections, then arranging calls with parents every week (outside of working hours) to go through progress & responding to emails pretty much at any time- all for each pupil- I think what they're doing is brilliant. If you aren't doing that then thats your call, but from what I see these people are properly going the 'extra mile' to make sure everyone gets what they need to keep making progress & get the right attention.

Users who are viewing this thread