Coronavirus Thread (Off Topic, Politics) (82 Viewers)

Grendel

The Gove stuff is true but I don’t think it would keep him on. Plenty of ways he could tarnish Gove or boost Raab or Sunak.

Real conviction politics at PM level has long gone. Thatcher whatever you think of her was the last real one other than Brown who was finished before he started - This is the new age developed by Blair and Campbell and its a winning formula

Sky_Blue_Dreamer

As for the Cummings saga has any considered that this might just be a deliberately engineered strategy?

I reckon he was having a laugh during Prince Andrew's interview and someone bet no-one could come up with a worse excuse than that. At which point Cummings replied "Hold my glasses"

djr8369

Margaret Thatcher also had the Falklands crisis to pull her through. Boris is having his Falklands moment and fluffing his lines.

It’s a good point. Initially we saw support for the government surge, effect of a crisis, but as the public see the way it’s been handled it’s dropping. Still, long way until an election. A change in leader, some bad publicity of labour, memories of the pandemic fade and it wouldn’t surprise me if they win the next election.

djr8369

Real conviction politics at PM level has long gone. Thatcher whatever you think of her was the last real one other than Brown who was finished before he started - This is the new age developed by Blair and Campbell and its a winning formula

I don’t disagree but what point are you trying to make? That he can’t tarnish Gove or boost the others because we are in a post truth era of politics?

Sky_Blue_Dreamer

Not good it’s boring as fuck, we need to focus on the real issues

Fair enough. Let's move on and start questioning Johnson on why he hasn't resigned seeing as he won't force someone out who broke the rules and thus he has no leadership. Or when he's going to resign for overseeing the highest death toll per capita in the world? Or any of the other myriad fuck ups and lies this government have made which are far too many for me to even bother going into here.

Sky_Blue_Dreamer

Boring. Really?

That's your reasoning?

We should stop scrutinising things as soon as they become boring. Good grief.

Makes you wonder why the Labour anti-semitism thing kept on going. That was boring as fuck so why didn't everyone just move on.

Oh yeah - because it's important!

Grendel

I don’t disagree but what point are you trying to make? That he can’t tarnish Gove or boost the others because we are in a post truth era of politics?

Im saying politics is really like a convoluted business game - it’s easy to win at national level for the Tories as labour and its dimwit membership get it wrong time and time again

I know it’s simplistic but look at local council level. Liars charlatans and REAL simpletons get elected time and time again

Cummings if he managed labour and allowed to rip up their absurd obsession with members dictating policy would have delivered far more seats

COVKIDSNEVERQUIT

One rule for the Elite and MP's and one rule for the rest of us, SHOCK HORROR.

giphy.gif

SkyBlueDom26

So Dom you were here. Just ignoring the people who rightly pointed out the madness of pretending that all 5 tests have been met.

Sent from my SM-G975F using Tapatalk

What is wrong with you? We can’t sit in lockdown forever!!! We need to find a safe balance and now SAGE have advised that they have been met and we can slowly reopen the economy, nowhere else has had this second spike every Twitter ‘expert’ seems to think will happen

Brighton Sky Blue

What is wrong with you? We can’t sit in lockdown forever!!! We need to find a safe balance and now SAGE have advised that they have been met and we can slowly reopen the economy, nowhere else has had this second spike every Twitter ‘expert’ seems to think will happen

I just hope it recovers enough so that we're not barred from going abroad. Seeing as we still have 350-400 dying a day, doesn't seem likely

SkyBlueDom26

I just hope it recovers enough so that we're not barred from going abroad. Seeing as we still have 350-400 dying a day, doesn't seem likely

Im not bothered about going away this year tbh, had a holiday cancelled in July! But hopefully in the next 2 weeks the numbers will be under the 100s

chiefdave

A hell of a lot more of these examples online also. Worrying. Just what is the true amount? Double what we've been told or a quarter?

I tend to err on the side of the latter, hence my postings at the minute
Lets assume that to be the case what do you believe has caused the additional 55K non-covid excess deaths?

chiefdave

Excess deaths are not a good idea during the pandemic. The final analysis will evaluate excess deaths beyond the time period and smooth any subsequent reductions
Not sure I'd take much comfort in that if I'd lost months with a parent / grandparent due to the governments incompetence.

covmark

I am, had one cancelled in April and have been working overtime with remote teaching with it set to get harder in June. Really need a week away!
You've been really quite vocal about the fact that you might have to teach pupils in a crowded classroom, but you're happy to mix in crowded airports and sit on aeroplanes with numerous others. Strange.

There's plenty of us that have been working overtime, extra shifts etc. Not feeling particularly desperate to get away now tbh. We had our August holiday cancelled. Seems it might well have gone ahead. However I don't fancy being on holiday and being restricted on what we can do, where we can go. I'd rather wait a while and enjoy our time away.

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

Brighton Sky Blue

You've been really quite vocal about the fact that you might have to teach pupils in a crowded classroom, but you're happy to mix in crowded airports and sit on aeroplanes with numerous others. Strange.

There's plenty of us that have been working overtime, extra shifts etc. Not feeling particularly desperate to get away now tbh. We had our August holiday cancelled. Seems it might well have gone ahead. However I don't fancy being on holiday and being restricted on what we can do, where we can go. I'd rather wait a while and enjoy our time away.

To get to a country with hardly any new infections and which has managed the outbreak much better than we have and which will have something close to a normal tourist experience. You go on about the airports but the week spent in Greece will probably be safer than a week here if we're on about infections. We're also on about some point in mid July when even we should be out or nearly out of the woods.

SkyBlueDom26

I am, had one cancelled in April and have been working overtime with remote teaching with it set to get harder in June. Really need a week away!
Maybe you’ll be back teaching in the class room within a month? Would you be comfortable with that or do you personally think it’s too early

Brighton Sky Blue

Maybe you’ll be back teaching in the class room within a month? Would you be comfortable with that or do you personally think it’s too early

I've thought it's more workable to either have them all back or none of them. I hope for some time with the exam classes before summer but I've got concerns about how that will work alongside remote teaching for the younger years. If we have some guidelines or suggestions it's a starting point. I think some forget that we've had to turn education on its head at pretty short notice so think it's important in particular for those senior classes

covmark

To get to a country with hardly any new infections and which has managed the outbreak much better than we have and which will have something close to a normal tourist experience. You go on about the airports but the week spent in Greece will probably be safer than a week here if we're on about infections. We're also on about some point in mid July when even we should be out or nearly out of the woods.
I'm not talking about Greece. You have to use a British airport, with British tourists.

Brighton Sky Blue

I'm not talking about Greece. You have to use a British airport, with British tourists.

Since this virus became active I have been using British supermarkets filled with British people not following the guidelines. Going for exercise in British open spaces with more British people not following the guidelines. Add all that time up and the time spent in a heavily distanced airport and plane on the way there and back, and the risk is acceptably low. Particularly, and I keep making this point, as it's to spend a week somewhere much safer in terms of Covid than this country is. We're also talking around 6-7 weeks on from the initially proposed return date to schools.

If it was anywhere else, we'd have cancelled already.

chiefdave

Not sure there would be a great deal to gain by getting everyone back in for a couple of weeks before the summer holiday.

Just checked the schools local to me and they all seem to be saying they can't take all pupils back while maintaining social distancing. So its either continuing to act essentially as child care for essential workers or rota students part time.

Users who are viewing this thread