Coronavirus Thread (Off Topic, Politics) (114 Viewers)

Saddlebrains

Was lockdown to prevent a massive uncontrollable peak yes or no?

No one ever said it was until deaths or infections had reached a certain point.

Im not a tory or a lefty, but I've had enough. The MSM have made people believe this is necessary. It isnt anymore. We did what we were meant to do.

By all means if it fires back up again or there is a second wave ( which wont happen) then bring in the restrictions.

skybluetony176

Im not a tory or a lefty, but I've had enough. The MSM have made people believe this is necessary. It isnt anymore. We did what we were meant to do.

By all means if it fires back up again or there is a second wave ( which wont happen) then bring in the restrictions.
Most deaths in Europe, most deaths per capita. How did the lame excuse for a lockdown work out? Now we haven’t even got the death rate as low as other countries and we’re throwing caution to the wind.

clint van damme

The second condition of lockdown sort of did.
It said a sustained or consistent reduction in the number of deaths. I'm not too sure that's been achieved.

Saddlebrains

The second condition of lockdown sort of did.
It said a sustained or consistent reduction in the number of deaths. I'm not too sure that's been achieved.

Thats a fair point, however, does go back to the while 'died WITH COVID' not OF.

Numerous people, and one i know first hand have had this. Friend of mines nanna, in a care home last few years. Terminal cancer, was going to go at any point bless her and 89 years old.

Death certificate stated suspected Covid. He was livid, as were the family. She wasnt tested. Didnt show symptoms other than a cough. However it was lung cancer she had.

A hell of a lot more of these examples online also. Worrying. Just what is the true amount? Double what we've been told or a quarter?

I tend to err on the side of the latter, hence my postings at the minute

PVA

Thats a fair point, however, does go back to the while 'died WITH COVID' not OF.

Numerous people, and one i know first hand have had this. Friend of mines nanna, in a care home last few years. Terminal cancer, was going to go at any point bless her and 89 years old.

Death certificate stated suspected Covid. He was livid, as were the family. She wasnt tested. Didnt show symptoms other than a cough. However it was lung cancer she had.

A hell of a lot more of these examples online also. Worrying. Just what is the true amount? Double what we've been told or a quarter?

That's why excess deaths is a useful statistic to look at.

But it doesn't back you up, quite the opposite.

The number is around 60,000 deaths.

Grendel

This is why access deaths are never used without the substitution factor - this will be used and the answers will not be available for some time

Brighton Sky Blue

Is it the same everywhere else?

clint van damme

But that works both ways regarding the recording of deaths.
Excess deaths is probably a good indicator and that is up at 60,000.

I just think, that like a lot of people,. I thought the daily deaths would be below where they are now before we eased lock down further.

Grendel

I just think, that like a lot of people,. I thought the daily deaths would be below where they are now before we eased lock down further.

Excess deaths are not a good idea during the pandemic. The final analysis will evaluate excess deaths beyond the time period and smooth any subsequent reductions

PVA

Excess deaths are not a good idea during the pandemic. The final analysis will evaluate excess deaths beyond the time period and smooth any subsequent reductions

Not a good idea because they make your precious Boris looks dreadful you mean.

Sumo the Micky Quinn

If we were any where near remotely competent in dealing with this crisis then people would probably feel most assured and less likely to be up in arms about any suggested easing. Suggestions like yours would be part of a clear, thought out and coherent plan (see NZ for example)

These changes are purely based on ideology - because they sure as hell aren’t based on any scientific fact.

My point really was that hopefully when things are more back to as normal as normal can be, and a second wave appears in the autumn or winter. Obviously if the second wave hits in the summer then things get locked back down.

Our figures for the canary island deaths are 156 in total.
4 deaths aged 30-40
3 age 40-50
10; 50-60
20; 60- 70
45; 70-80
56; 80-90
& 18 aged 90+.

clint van damme

But even going by the daily records I'm not sure condition 2 has been met.

Deaths are coming down but progress seems to have slowed.

Ring Of Steel

they can’t- economy and country would further grind to a halt.

fucked everything up at the start, continued to make huge blunders of everything along the way, all the time the meter running on the economy- now left with no option apart from to ease lockdown- in the midst of lies on tests, an app that doesn’t work and is already failing & people will not sign up to, the govt embroiled in scandals around breaking lockdown rules, highest death rate in the world, figures nowhere near as low as they could & should have been- yeah what can possibly go wrong here?

djr8369

Taking into account the current R number, the reports of the independent SAGE group, the stats for daily deaths, the issues with the track and trace processes, the public trust levels after the Cummings saga and the limited help and guidance for schools and workplaces, it is very hard to believe we won’t see a second peak in the near future.

It feels like we’re relaxing things and hoping for the best.

djr8369

Nobody is saying it wasn’t to prevent an uncontrollable peak. They are simply explaining why we are more likely to see a second peak when other countries are yet to - because we are opening up with way more cases in the community.

djr8369

No way he'll be leader at the next election.

If there's one thing he hates it's scrutiny, and there will be all manner of inquiries at the end of all this, and there's no way he'll stick around for that.

He'll probably wait till Brexit is 'done' so he can take the credit for that, then he'll bugger off.

That day cannot come soon enough.

I wonder if half the reason for not extending the transition period is so he can retire sooner rather than later...

Grendel

I wonder if half the reason for not extending the transition period is so he can retire sooner rather than later...

Why would he do that ratings are excellent all things considered

djr8369

Why would he do that ratings are excellent all things considered
What have ratings got to do with it? Aside from the ambition I don’t think he wants the job or can be arsed to do it and will be doing the after dinner speaking circuit as soon as he can, as you suggested yourself. He won’t go before Brexit is “done” though and as he has zero sense of responsibility rushing it through won’t trouble him even if it makes the process needlessly harmful. Will also give them plenty of time to say “fresh start” and “lessons have been learnt” before the next election.

Grendel

Remember thatcher at one point had a minus 60 rating in her first year and averaged minus 14 across her tenure - anyone with any political knowledge shows this actually will not worry him in the slightest

Grendel

What have ratings got to do with it? Aside from the ambition I don’t think he wants the job or can be arsed to do it and will be doing the after dinner speaking circuit as soon as he can, as you suggested yourself. He won’t go before Brexit is “done” though and as he has zero sense of responsibility rushing it through won’t trouble him even if it makes the process needlessly harmful. Will also give them plenty of time to say “fresh start” and “lessons have been learnt” before the next election.

He is anti Gove and will play the game out until Gove is not electable - Gove has the ear of many elements of the press and he will wait until Gove is an irrelevance

djr8369

He is anti Gove and will play the game out until Gove is not electable - Gove has the ear of many elements of the press and he will wait until Gove is an irrelevance

The Gove stuff is true but I don’t think it would keep him on. Plenty of ways he could tarnish Gove or boost Raab or Sunak.

skybluetony176

Remember thatcher at one point had a minus 60 rating in her first year and averaged minus 14 across her tenure - anyone with any political knowledge shows this actually will not worry him in the slightest
Margaret Thatcher also had the Falklands crisis to pull her through. Boris is having his Falklands moment and fluffing his lines.

Users who are viewing this thread