Coronavirus Thread (Off Topic, Politics) (29 Viewers)

Brighton Sky Blue

This girl is brilliant. She shows perfectly how people (stupid people) judge Trump by his body language rather than the words that are actually coming out of his mouth. If his body language matched the words I would think even the dumbest of people could see what a moron he is.

In a similar vein if you wrote down what Trump and Boris said it would appear like rambling nonsense.

djr8369

Honestly, drop it.

The more people kid themselves it was the Russian robots making Brexit, the more your chances of changing people's mind in the future diminishes.

The use of social media disinformation is widely understood and researched. I won’t drop it because it makes people uncomfortable. In no way was I stating it was the instrumental factor but it certainly may have had an affect.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

djr8369

Looking at the tracing system that goes live tomorrow I'm very very disappointed.

Most people will be missed out as all that is happening is when someone tests positive they will be asked for everyone they have come into contact with and these people will be called by a tracer.

This means all the people that the person as come into contact with that they don't know i.e. in a supermarket or on a bus will not be contacted and asked to isolate.

Hardly world beating as promised

Sent from my SM-G975F using Tapatalk

Indeed, sounds incredibly poor in its current form.

Brighton Sky Blue

Laughable deflection.

Good way to point out how close it was though and how a few tens of thousands of votes changed the outcome.

It was, but how do you account for many voters who went for Obama twice but then switched? Clinton's unpopularity was the biggest factor I'd say.

djr8369

It was, but how do you account for many voters who went for Obama twice but then switched? Clinton's unpopularity was the biggest factor I'd say.

Clinton was an awful candidate and certainly the largest factor. But there’s no point people burying their head in the sand that social media might have been an influence because it’s awkward and uncomfortable to accept that.

Anyway, it wasn’t really the main point in my original post and not what I wanted to focus on.

Ring Of Steel

Clinton was an awful candidate and certainly the largest factor. But there’s no point people burying their head in the sand that social media might have been an influence because it’s awkward and uncomfortable to accept that.

Anyway, it wasn’t really the main point in my original post and not what I wanted to focus on.

there is zero doubt whatsoever that Russian interference played a part. To what degree that helped deliver Trump as president we don’t know, but you have to be incredibly naive or blinkered not to acknowledge what Americans themselves do and concede that the Russians were involved. How did this end up being talked about? :)

fernandopartridge

The only thing I would say about this is from what I hear from the Missus (and again Warwick hospital so small sample size) is that the cases coming in do not appear to be as severe as previously so maybe the "high viral loads" are decreasing as less people are needing to be admitted to ICU and are being dealt with on the COVID wards instead.
Hopefully, that's a good point

Sent from my ELE-L29 using Tapatalk

clint van damme

I'm sorry but it's just another clutching st straws way of refusing to acknowledge the vote.

Even if there was some truth in it, dirty tactics were played by both sides and that was the bigger issue for me.

It's also largely irrelevant to the pandemic and really just an opportunity to have a bash which this thread has seen quite a lot of.

I wouldn't really argue with any of that. As far as I'm concerned Labour blew their chance of government by not being clear they would honour the referendum and the FBPE lot will do it again given half a chance.
But my point is is Russiaan collusion has been acknowledged by the US Senate then it's not some crackpot conspiracy theory.

And Cummings refusal to appear before the commons select comittee is another example of his utter contempt for the British electorate.

But if people really care about all the things they say they did during the Brexit debates they should be appalled and one to get to the bottom of it and should want the truth.

You can't moan about outside interference and unelected beauracrats and then turn a blind eye to both when it suits.

Last edited:

clint van damme

The use of social media disinformation is widely understood and researched. I won’t drop it because it makes people uncomfortable. In no way was I stating it was the instrumental factor but it certainly may have had an affect.

Zuckenburg has acknowledged this and they are working to prevent it before this years US election.

They've had problems with algorithms they've been using though blocking legitimate sites including those of small businesses.

djr8369

Zuckenburg has acknowledged this and they are working to prevent it before this years US election.

They've had problems with algorithms they've been using though blocking legitimate sites including those of small businesses.

Exactly. The Russian Internet Research Agency was literally creating communities and groups on Facebook and organising physical demonstrations of those communities in the US. To say it had no effect or call it a conspiracy is laughable.

A glance at Twitter U.K. political discourse and it’s easy to spot bots still. In a US a study released by MIT had found that 50% of twitter accounts calling for the lockdown to end were bots.

As I said, not really where I was going with my original point, and I’d rather focus on the current issues, but seems to have been picked up on.

clint van damme

Exactly. The Russian Internet Research Agency was literally creating communities and groups on Facebook and organising physical demonstrations of those communities in the US. To say it had no effect or call it a conspiracy is laughable.

A glance at Twitter U.K. political discourse and it’s easy to spot bots still. In a US a study released by MIT had found that 50% of twitter accounts calling for the lockdown to end were bots.

As I said, not really where I was going with my original point, and I’d rather focus on the current issues, but seems to have been picked up on.

Exactly. I'm sure our own Russia report will throw up some interesting stuff if it ever gets published.
This isn't about overturning results this is about minimising influence in the future.

Though when they refuse to publish the report and when Cummings refuses to appear before the select comittee you have to question why?

Social media is here to stay. We have to minimise how it can be used nefariously.

djr8369

“You can’t compare countries” etc

I remember months ago saying we were on the same curve as Italy, it was derided by some and ignored by many. We followed their curve for weeks then went beyond it.

Grendel

Exactly. I'm sure our own Russia report will throw up some interesting stuff if it ever gets published.
This isn't about overturning results this is about minimising influence in the future.

Though when they refuse to publish the report and when Cummings refuses to appear before the select comittee you have to question why?

Social media is here to stay. We have to minimise how it can be used nefariously.

It’s just another excuse to hang your hat on

Russia have always made grandiose claims about an ability to control of influence people - Well before social media - they are a faded power and its the only way they can pretend they have influence

If you keep that bunker mind set you’ll never win anything

djr8369

We fortunate in that the Mueller report uncovered a lot of the stuff that had been hidden. As you say, we might never see the report over here but that has forced the social media companies to start taking some action at least.

clint van damme

Russia have always made grandiose claims about an ability to control of influence people - Well before social media - they are a faded power and its the only way they can pretend they have influence

I'm just arguing it exists because some people thing Its a crackpot conspiracy theory.
If you do then you're saying the US Senate is wrong and the government called an enquiry (led by a senior Tory who's name escapes me) and Facebook are rewriting their algorithms for nothing.

It's important we get to the bottom of it because even, as if you say, Russia is a busted flush, it could be another outside actor .

Sick Boy

Even if it’s not Russia, you can’t deny that there are an abundance of active bot accounts out there.

djr8369

Summed odd the other day when they said the R was 0.7 - 1 but were planning to open schools and shops. I’m sure previously, when setting out the road map of steps, the R was the same and they said we can’t do anything yet as we’re too close to 1? (Which also seems obvious).

Grendel

Even if it’s not Russia, you can’t deny that there are an abundance of active bot accounts out there.

There was of course the sensational revelation the other week on here of fake NHS accounts which were created by the government - what happened to that exclusive?

Brighton Sky Blue

Summed odd the other day when they said the R was 0.7 - 1 but were planning to open schools and shops. I’m sure previously, when setting out the road map of steps, the R was the same and they said we can’t do anything yet as we’re too close to 1? (Which also seems obvious).

We are planning for some contact with exam classes from the 15th but nobody else. If they want others then they need to give us fair time to make the adjustments needed

Users who are viewing this thread